Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joan Borrowscale

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Nov 2005 18:04

The name BORROWSCALE in the 13th century is found as a place name in MATTERDALE; and is found in the 'Place Names of Cumberland' viz: ' BORROWSCALE (6') is Borganscal 1285; For (p) Bunskaill 1559 PR (Greystoke), Boronskaill(e) 1569, 1577 ib. Borascal 1589 LRMB, Borranskell 1654 PR. Borrenscaile 1678ib; ( Greystoke). Cf Borranes 1655 ib ., Burnes 1716 ib v. burghan, skali FURTHER - Borran - from the Old English word Burgaesn meaning a 'burial mound; Skali - from an Old Norse word meaning a dwelling place for either people or animal... From the early 16th century, the name was found in the registers for - Bridekirk, Cockermouth, Lorton, Embleton, and Lamplugh, and Dean, Crosthwaite; In the 17th century at Isell, Torpenhow, Wythop. I have been looking at the Manorial Registers for the area around Derwentfells, and have found a lot of very interesting items. They worked for the Lord of the Manor in ( Fisher) LOTHWAITESIDE in the Parish of Lorton. The earlier Borranskell - Thomas lived at Dean in the 16th c. and William. They were Yeomen..... but a John Borranskaile of Bassenthwaite, became a Stone Mason - i.e., Waller and since, this occupation has remained in the family. Joseph Borriscale and his wife Dorothy ( nee Fearon) had 11 children..... including my Gt/Gt/Gt/Grandfather Francis born Cockermouth 1805 and it is from him that the Liverpool connection is derived. and from him I am descended. He came to Liverpool c1830 and brought with him his parents Joseph and Dorothy, and most of his siblings also came to Liverpool in various stages. Francis died in Liverpool 1871; and his wife Hannah ( nee Hardy) also died in Liverpool 1871; and both are buried here. Francis became a Bricklayer employing his 4 sons in that trade. Sadly only one of his sons Joseph ( 1828) married in Liverpool. And again his son Francis( 1863 -1929 )was the only son to marry. He married Emily Amelia Oakes, and they had 6 children, 3 girls, and 3 boys. Joseph - 1893; Francis 1899; John 1902; All had only girls.... So I fear the name now has gone. It is left to me to trace the Borrowscale family and to write it up... It has taken me to Cumberland, a lovely part of the Country, and when I am travelling there, I feel that I am going home. I have belonged to the Cumbria Family History Society since 1983. I now also subscribe to the Derwentfells Local History Society, and I am learning more from the Manorial documents found in Carlisle Record Office, and Whitehaven Record Office. It has been an exciting journey. Full of surprises, and I expect still more to come. Joan Borrowscale, Liverpool

Barbara

Barbara Report 20 Jan 2015 22:29

Hi I am researching my tree and have a Ann Borinscale b 1799 in Whitehaven daughter of a John Borrinscale and Martha Chambers both from Lorton. Martha's father and mother were George Chambers and Sally Key, who had the Packhorse Inn in Lorton. Are they any relation to you?
regards Barbara

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Jan 2015 22:38

Unlikely the original poster is still a member with NIL posts against their name and it showing as member since 2001.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jan 2015 11:40

Joan Borrowscale who created the first opening post has a deleted account.

Its always worth clicking on a poster's name as that will show if you are able to send a message. You can always back-page to avoid actually doing so.