Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cowkeepers ( Dairies) Whitechapel

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marylyn

Marylyn Report 9 Mar 2010 15:28

I am trying to find imformation about the Evans Family who were Cowkeepers in Whitechapel in the late 19thcentury until last Known date 1917. Anyone out there have any knowledge ?

Barbara

Barbara Report 9 Mar 2010 15:56

Just did a google search on Whitechapel Cowkeepers than within the results "Evans" a few mentions if you work through.

Barbara

Barbara Report 9 Mar 2010 15:58

1901 census transcription details for: 259, Mile End Road, Mile End Old Town

National Archive Reference:
RG number: RG13 Piece: 332 Folio: 45 Page: 26

Reg. District: Mile End Old Town Sub District: Mile End Old Town Eastern
Parish: Mile End Old Town Enum. District: 2
Ecclesiastical District: Stepney St Peter City/Municipal Borough:

Address: 259, Mile End Road, Mile End Old Town
County: London

Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation ,
Disability Where Born

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVANS, Hugh Head Married M 55 1846 Cowkeeper
Bethamia
Cardiganshire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVANS, Jane Wife Married F 56 1845
Penwich
Cardiganshire

JONES, Elizabeth Daughter Married F 32 1869
Bethamia
Cardiganshire

JAMES, Magdalen Servant Single F 23 1878 General Servant Domestic
Llangwyryfon
Cardiganshire

Barbara

Barbara Report 9 Mar 2010 16:00

1911 census transcription details for: 56 Middlesex Street E

RG14PN1486 RG78PN52 RD18 SD2 ED10 SN162

Reg. District: Whitechapel Sub District: Whitechapel
Parish: Whitechapel Enum. District: 10

Address: 56 Middlesex Street E

Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation Where Born

EVANS, John Richard Head Single M 30 1881 Dairyman Cardigan Shire Llanfihangely Creuddyn

EVANS, Mary Jane Sister Single F 40 1871 Assisting In Business Cardigan Shire Llanfihangely Creuddyn

GRIFFITHS, Morgan Nephew Single M 19 1892 Milk Carrier Cardigan Shire Llanfihangely Creuddyn

MOSS, Rose Lodger Widow F 62 1849 Dressmaker Dealer London Aldgate

1911 census transcription details for: 3 Crispin Street Spitalfield

RG14PN1464 RG78PN51 RD18 SD1 ED12 SN283

Reg. District: Whitechapel Sub District: Spitalfields
Parish: Spitalfields Enum. District: 12

Address: 3 Crispin Street Spitalfield

Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation Where Born

EVANS, William Head Married M 32 1879 Dairy Man Llangistha Cardiganshire

EVANS, Ann Wife Married
6 years F 40 1871 Assisting In The Business Sgyfa Cardigan

MORIS, Margaret Jane Assistant Single F 25 1886 Shop Assistant Pennant Cardigan

GREGORY, George William Lodger Single M 26 1885 Milkman Llanddemol Cardigan

HEPPLE, James Frederick Lodger Single M 24 1887 Milkman London N K

Marylyn

Marylyn Report 9 Mar 2010 16:25

Thanks Barbara,
This will be a great help. Out of interest , The dairy was in Black Lion Yard, Now the site of the office block still known as Black Lion House.
Marylyn

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Nov 2014 20:24

I've just come across your enquiry whilst googling Black Lion Yard. My grandmother Catherine Davies went to work for the Evanses as a domestic servant. She was born in Trefenter Cardiganshire and her mother was an Evans so I wonder if there was a family connection. I have a picture of the doors of the business that has a phrase in Hebrew " fresh from the cow" so my grandmother may have helped milk the cows. At 18 she left there and with the help of the Evans family started her own shop near the Elephant and Castle. I see from the 1901 census there is another servant from Llangwyrfon which is near Trefenter where my grandmother was from. Also for Bethamia I think is Bethania which is also in that area.
Any information on the Evans family would be very interesting.

Kathryn

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Nov 2014 20:26

I've just come across your enquiry whilst googling Black Lion Yard. My grandmother Catherine Davies went to work for the Evanses as a domestic servant. She was born in Trefenter Cardiganshire and her mother was an Evans so I wonder if there was a family connection. I have a picture of the doors of the business that has a phrase in Hebrew " fresh from the cow" so my grandmother may have helped milk the cows. At 18 she left there and with the help of the Evans family started her own shop near the Elephant and Castle. I see from the 1901 census there is another servant from Llangwyrfon which is near Trefenter where my grandmother was from. Also for Bethamia I think is Bethania which is also in that area.
Any information on the Evans family would be very interesting.

Kathryn

jax

jax Report 20 Nov 2014 21:04

Welcome to the boards Kathryn

Marylyn posted this in 2010 and may not be checking for replies now. Click on her name and send a private message, if her email address is still the same she will be notified