Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DORIS GEE WRAY

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2009 15:01

Doris Gee (as she was registered) was born 21 June 1891 in Goodmanchester, Hunts. her parents were Thomas Henry and Sophia GEE. In 1901 she was living with her sister Kathleen with an Aunt & Uncle (James & Mary Louise Wray (nee Gee). Doris sometime changed her name to Wray as she is entered on the 1911 census as Doris Gee Wray a Teacher in Green Bank, Middlesborough.

We would love to know if Doris ever married, if anyone has Doris in their tree and has that information we would love to hear from you. I am writing this on behalf of a contact I have in Australia.

Thank you for reading this, and hope that it bears fruit.

Julie

Julie Report 2 May 2009 15:03

You might be able to pick up a marriage for her on this site

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2009 15:09

thank you Julie but we dont know if she would have married as GEE or WRAY!. I found a Doris G. Wray marrying in 1935 but when I tried on Genes to find someone on there who has the name of the person I thought she could have married it turned out not to be, so I am trying this method to see what turns up!.

Thanks

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2009 15:11

please see my previous message.

thanks

Julie

Julie Report 2 May 2009 15:14

But you will only find her on here if someone else is looking for her too.....So the only other way is to get the cert to see if her Dads name matches up.

I have been on this site for 6 years & my Mums side of the family was always large but i still haven't made a connection on here

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 2 May 2009 15:17

The male's name on that marriage is John W Newlove

Christine

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2009 15:18

Not sure what cert. you are thinking of, but my contact knows who her parents were, its just that she was passed to an Aunt & Uncle, it is thought that the parents went to Ireland, Doris changed her name sometime between 1901 and 1911 thats all we know, what happened to her after that, we are hoping that someone on here has her name in their tree, I could always add her name into the system I suppose on the 'TREE' pages and see what happens, is that what you are suggesting?

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2009 15:20

Yes I know what the males name is on the marriage index, thanks. It was someone on Genes 'Tree' section that I wrote to to see if it was 'our' Doris who had married Mr. Newlove, but apparently no. I must also add that I wrote to several people on that section but only had one reply!!

Julie

Julie Report 2 May 2009 15:21

The marriage cert for Doris G Wray...you could then use her dads name as a ref

OK have just read your last post

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2009 15:23

yes I undertstand what you are saying now, sorry I wasnt picking up on that. If I write direct to the place where the event took place I can tell them what her father's name is, so that they can check, if I have it wrong, then there is no time wasted.
thanks

Julie

Julie Report 2 May 2009 15:33

There are 3 people on Ancestry that have Doris in their tree bu none have a marriage for her though

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2009 15:51

Julie thanks., I must have written to about 10 already but only one has replied so far.

regards
M

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 2 May 2009 15:53

I have actually entered Doris Gee (Wray) onto my own tree now to see what happens.

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 3 May 2009 20:23

nudge

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 3 May 2009 20:30

Hello, I would like to add that we do have all the census info. of Doris's parents when they were children and after they married and had 2 children of their own (before Doris and her sister were born,) on census (1891) living in Duck End, Godmanchester, Hunts. and we have Doris on the 1901 and 1911 census, but on the 1911 she now has the name Doris Gee Wray. On the 1901 she was living with her aunt and uncle in Scarborough, they were Mr. & Mrs. Wray, so she seems to have taken their surname but still kept the Gee bit as well!.
We really would like to know if Doris actually married - I have found a marriage of a Doris G. Wray in 1935 to a John W, Newlove in the Sculcoates reg. dist. but have no idea whether this was in fact Doris Gee Wray. I these people John Newlove and Doris happen to be in your tree, we would love to hear from you.
Thank you for reading this.

Marleen

Marleen Report 9 Jul 2014 19:38

Hello Marilyn and others. Doris Gee Wray was my aunt. I have a few more details that may help you with your search. Doris never married and she and a cousin - Harry Percival were 'adopted' by James and Mary Louise (nee Gee) Wray between 1901 and 1903 when Harry was orphaned. I have more and am happy to share. You may know what happened to James and Mary Wray as I have not been able to trace them after that date.