Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Hawkins born c.1855 Wells, Somerset

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 23 Nov 2008 17:29

Has anybody got Mary Hawkins born c.1855 Wells, Somerset in their tree marrying one of your ancestors? Her Father was William Hawkins, born c.1836 Wells. a Butcher.

On the 1861 Census the family are living in Southover, St Cuthbert, Wells Somerset. Mary is aged 6.

1871 Census Mary aged 15 is still at home with her parents and siblings still in Southover, Wells, Somerset.

1881 Census ....NO MARY!
Her father William c.1825, a Butcher, his wife Elizabeth and other children are now living at 9 South Street, Wells.

I CAN'T locate her at all on the 1881 Census!

Perhaps you have her 'married' in your tree!

I know that she had 11 children born out of wedlock as her firstborn, Edward Weeks (born at 9 South St Wells) was my OH's Grandfather and she eventually Married Edward's father, Edmund Weeks in 1910!

I can find Edward's father on the 1881 census and he is in lodgings in Bristol and it states he is 'single', but no sign of Mary or her son Edward Weeks born 1879 Wells on the 1881 Census.

I have Edward Weeks, his father Edmund Weeks and Mary his mother (calling herself Weeks) on the 1891, and 1901 census living in Corston, Nr Keynsham and Bath Somerset.

I can only assume that Mary Hawkins couldn't get married to Edward's father until 1910 as she was probably married before....perhaps her father forced her into an arranged marriage that didn't work out and she was only free to marry Edward's father Edmund Weeks in 1910 after her fist husband died.

If anyone can help to solve this piece of my OH's family history I would be truly grateful.

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 23 Nov 2008 17:37

In 1881 there is a Mary Ann Weeks aged 28,married, born Wells, Somerset and she's a visitor at Matlock Salvation Army Home in Matlock, Derbyshire but no sign of her son or "husband"

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 23 Nov 2008 18:01

Hi Seaham Lass

Her full name is Mary Jane Hawkins according to her son's birth cert., and her marriage certificate (1910).

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 23 Nov 2008 23:09

Nerine

Mary Jane Hawkins was aged 15 on the 1871 Census.

There is a Thomas and Mary Dowden on the 1881 Census living in Street Somerset. Mary is aged 28 born c.1853 in Street Somerset. So I don't think that she is my Mary Jane nee Hawkins b. 1855 Wells.

Can't find a James Greedy though married to a Mary or Elizabeth.

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 28 May 2016 12:28

UPDATE.....Mary Jane Hawkins STEVENS to give her correct name was born out of wedlock. (Birth Certificate)

In fact several children including Mary Jane, were Baptized on the same day their parents were married on 28 May 1859 at St. Cuthbert’s, Wells, Somerset!
Their parents were William Hawkins and Elizabeth Stevens.

malyon

malyon Report 29 May 2016 12:12

Edward Weeks

England Births and Christenings

Name Edward Weeks
Gender Male
Christening Date 23 Sep 1879
Christening Place St. Cuthberts, Wells, Somerset, England
Father's Name Edward Weeks
Mother's Name Mary Weeks

malyon

malyon Report 29 May 2016 12:14

Event Place Corston, Somersetshire, England
County Somersetshire
Civil Parish Corston
Ecclesiastical Parish All Saints
Sub-District Keynsham
Registration District Keynsham
Residence Note The Gardens
Gender Male
Age 22
Occupation Railway Porter
Relationship to Head of Household Son
Birth Year (Estimated) 1879
Birthplace Wells, Somersetshire
Schedule Type 8
Page Number 1

Household

Role

Birthplace

Edward Weeks Head M 43 Cheddar, Somersetshire
Mary Weeks Wife F 44 Wells, Somersetshire
Edward Weeks Son M 22 Wells, Somersetshire
Tom Weeks Son M 19 Wells, Somersetshire
Walter Weeks Son M 15 Bristol, Gloucestershire
Robert Weeks Son M 14 Ryme, Dorsetshire

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 29 May 2016 21:45

Thanks but I do now have all of the Weeks family information including BDM certificates.

I was just updating the bit about Mary Jane Hawkins incase anyone else was looking for her.

Even my late mother-in-law never knew her correct surname was STEVENS, she always said it was Hawkins..but then she had never seen her Birth Certificate!