Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Hector Mackenzie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fransmoi

Fransmoi Report 25 May 2007 20:47

My gran Mrs Errington Ross nee Mary Christina Mackenzie was born in 1875 in Acton where her dad Alexander Mackenzie son of John of the Post Office/ drapery Muir of Ord had moved and married Christina Kinghorn. Family papers in an envelope addressed to my grandmother included the lengthy obituary -of an ARTHUR Henderson Mackenzie (9 Feb 1880 to 26 Sep 1936) - Invernessian son of William and his wife Annabella Bertrude Grant . Across the back of this sheet of newsprint Gran has written in large letters ' Arthur' yet I have never found the connection of these Inverness Mackenzies to gran's folk who were from Muir of Ord and Teanagairn on the Black Isle. Arthur's father William Mackenzie b 1849c had a draper's shop in Bridge St , Inverness .The wrought iron sign was of a lamb with ' My coat is all Wool' written thereon. He was married from 2 Church St, Inverness to Annabella Gertrude Grant of Easter Gallovie, Duthil near Carrbridge on 16 July 1873. They were both aged 24 and as he prospered and his family grew William built a grand house on the banks of the river Ness and named it 'Erradale' suggesting perhaps his Mackenzies originated in that place in Ross-shire. I was later to meet the current owner of 'Erradale' who had found the Mackenzie family bible in her loft and in an amazing gesture of generosity presented it to me. I now have to find the link to my gran ! The bible lists below their 11 children including the one I had not found a wee girl ELLA May Mackenzie who lived but 3 days from 21 June to 24 June 1886. Very sadly their only daughter.They were all born in Inverness. The boys were :- ALEXANDER Roderick Mackenzie b 17 May 1874 at 13 Charles St. HECTOR Donald Grant Mackenzie b 20 June1875 at 7 Ardconnel St. WILLIAM John Mackenzie b 18 Jan 1877 at 7 Ardconnel St JAMES Grant Mackenzie b 20 June1878 at Caber Feidh Villa,Kenneth St He died at Inchberry Lodge,Lentran on 23 Sep 1889 aged 11 from 'Larcoma of the chest wall .' which he endured 20 months. ARTHUR Henderson Mackenzie b 9 Feb 1880 at Caberfeidh Villa Kenneth St Arthur married Mary Harwood from Devon. A distinguished educator in India he was awarded the Star of India .He died in Inverness in 1936 of stomach cancer having left his retirement too late for it to be treated when he got back home .His usual residence given as' Erradale' the house his father built in 1895. ALLAN Campbell Mackenzie b19 April 1881 at Caber Feidh Villa, Kenneth .He married Norah Hunt in 1908 in Ontario and he died in Montreal Canada on 24 June 1933. ENEAS Kenneth Mackenzie b 9 Mar 1883 at Cabarfeidh House, Ballifeary Rd. ( Later known as 'Dr E.K.' he had his practice in Tain .He married Helena Burnett a Fraserburgh nurse in Aberdeen 13 April 1911 and they had 2 offspring that I was told of : Ashley or Ashleigh Mackenzie who married Stella and had family :- Dr Valery Mackenzie & Captain 'Bunty' Mackenzie R.N.a London gaeneacologist ) ANDREW Duncan Mackenzie b 7 January 1885 at Cabarfeidh House, Ballifeary Rd. He died at home from croup on 2nd May 1888 aged 3 yrs 4 m HARRY McPherson Mackenzie b 28 Oct 1887 at Cabarfeidh House. He ran the shop with his father and was his principal heir.Harry was the last to write up the Family Register in the bible and the house was sold after he died there of heart failure on 22 Dec 1944 aged 57 & unwed. DOUGLAS Mitchell Mackenzie b 19 Feb 1890 at Cabarfeidh House.Inverness. Mother ANNABELLA died at 'Erradale' 21 Aug 1920 -Heart failure Father WILLIAM died at 'Erradale' 11 Dec 1923 Heart failure. His parents were HECTOR MACKENZIE ,crofter and CATHERINE CAMPBELL. Does anyone recognise any one of this Mackenzie family ? You may hold the slightest clue which is the last piece in my jigsaw.Sorry this is so long but am desperate to find links. Thanks folks, Frances in Inverness.

Alistair

Alistair Report 15 Nov 2015 12:01

Hi Frances
Hope this is message is not a duplication but after writing a note I then had to join Genes reunited and not sure if the message went.

I am the grandson of Arthur Hector and have just started to look for family history. Love to chat if you would

Alistair Grant MacKenzie
[email protected] :-)

malyon

malyon Report 15 Nov 2015 12:11

alistair

this is 8yrs old so frances may not see this post try sending p m by clicking on frances's name also remove your email address not allowed on here

if you need any help with search just ask

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Nov 2015 12:37

Welcome to the boards, Alistair.

If you click on "Fransmoi", you can send a private message to Frances as Malyon suggests.
If she still uses the email address which she registered with GenesReunited, she will be notified that she has a message from you.

Of course there's no guarantee that she will respond.

(PM sent to Alistair to let him know how to return to the thread, as he's a new poster.)