Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Emily Lucy Hughes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 28 Sep 2009 19:49

Hi all im looking for my great aunt emily lucy hughes she was born in 1912 and died in 2007. My mum tells me that she only had 3 children cedric thomas and brian. she married sidney payne in firle east sussex.
i have been in touch with other members who have the same name in their family tree but not sure if she fits them as they have all 3 chidlren and others!!!! but in there family trees aswell she is going by the name of lucy.
my mum is adamant that there was only 3!!!!
please help
many thanks karen

Karen

Karen Report 3 Jul 2010 19:01

just bumping this thread up again. many thanks

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 Jul 2010 19:12

Is this her marriage?

Name: Emily L Hughes
Spouse Surname: Payne
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1930
Registration district: Lewes
Registration county (inferred): Sussex
Volume Number: 2b
Page Number: 449
Find Spouse: James S Payne

If so, persumably, Sidney was her husband's middle name.

Firle is in the registration district of Lewes

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Jul 2010 19:14

In what way are you looking for her? Are you trying to trace her family backwards? In view of marriage location is this her birth?

Births Jun 1912 (>99%)
Hughes Emily L Stevens Lewes 2b 282

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Jul 2010 19:17

You need her birth cert, unless you know a name already:

Marriages Mar 1906 (>99%)
HUGHES William Lewes 2b 283
STEVENS Eliza Sarah Lewes 2b 283

Marriages Dec 1910 (>99%)
Hughes Walter Lewes 2b 370
Stevens Fanny M Lewes 2b 370

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2010 19:20

there are certainly others with that surname combination in Sussex that fit in between the births you know of . Unless others have got the birth certs then there's no way of knowing if they are all the same family

Mike *

Mike * Report 3 Jul 2010 19:49

My mother was adamant that her mother only had 4 siblings .... turned out there were 7.
I had to buy all 7 certificates before she was convinced.

Karen

Karen Report 4 Jul 2010 16:33

her parents were Walter Hughes and Fanny Stevens. Her siblings were certainly Walter Thomas who went by the name of Thomas and William (my grandad).
they were definitely all in the firle area. as they were all farmers, my grandad was born in ripe. they worked for the gages family at firle and then moved on to the Wadmans farm in Stone Cross nr Hailsham.
she is my great auntie and i was looking for more information on that side of the family. my grandad passed away in 1982 so i have very little information to go on.

michael thank you i think thats what it looks like here too.

many thanks for all your help

Karen

Karen Report 4 Jul 2010 16:37

she was definitely born 1912, certainly looks like the same one and definitely married in 1930 so looks like that matches too.

I remember him being called Uncle Sid, and he lived at New Barn Stone cross (i believe) tll he passed away.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 4 Jul 2010 16:51

It looks like Cedric was the eldest of the 3 children that you have given born in 1937 and then Thomas in 1944 both born in Lewes. The only Brian that I can find was born in 1953 in Cuckfield Sussex that's assuming they remained in Sussex. So if Emily & Sid were married in 1930 the chances are that there were more children born before Cedric.

Karen

Karen Report 4 Jul 2010 17:32

thank you it certainly does look like it.

they would of been working on farms, but the family stayed fairly close to each other.

Louise

Louise Report 2 Dec 2014 06:08

Emily, or Lucy as she liked to be called was my grandmother. Surviving siblings, are my mother Margery, Jim and Brian. Aunty Mary was the last to pass away a couple of years ago. I believe we are talking about the same person? :-)

Louise

Louise Report 2 Dec 2014 06:44

Eldest to youngest was Mary, Walter (Jim), Cedric, Margery, Thomas, Brian.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Dec 2014 08:34

Louise
It's likely that Karen won't pick this up as she posted some 4 years ago and doesn't have many posts listed to her

You could try to make contact by sending her a message by clicking on her name