Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Keen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 9 Mar 2007 13:38

Searching for information relating to my great-grandfather, RICHARD KEEN, who was born c.1870/71 (maybe in Amersham, Bucks?). I have obtained his marriage certificate for his 2nd marriage to my great-grandmother, VIOLET FELICIA ALICE COOPER, which states that they were married on 4th January 1915, and both living at 32 Cambray Road, Clapham, London. Richard was a widower (believed to have had several children with his first wife) and was 44 years old at the time of marriage. Violet was considerably younger and, although the certificate states that she was 21, apparently she lied and was apx 16 years old!! The certificate gives Richard's father's name as WILLIAM KEEN (deceased by that time) and William's occupation was a farm labourer. A family member informs me that a census search for 1871 shows that William was working in Chalfont St Giles, Bucks close to where I believe Richard was born in Amersham (still waiting for that certificate to confirm this). Also, the marriage certifcate shows Richard's occupation as a Timber Porter for the 9th County of London Territorial Force - obviously, the First World War was raging at this time and presumably Richard was too old to fight? Richard went on to have four more children with Violet:- 1916 - Violet Felicia Elkins Keen (who married Harry Chalmers) 1917 - my nan, Delphine Sheila Elkins Keen (who first married Harry Rowlinson, was widowed young and went on to marry my grandad, Frederick Thompson) 1920 - Richard Adolphus Keen (married to Christina) 1922 - Kenneth Raymond Keen When she was alive, my nan told me that she had several half-brothers and sisters, but no-one was on touch. I don't know if this was due to any sort of family rift when Richard married Violet? One last bit of info that I have about Richard is that he was apparently quite musical and played the trumpet! If anyone recognises any names from this message, please get in touch. All information will be gratefully received and perhaps some long-lost distant relatives may get in touch?! Thank you. Karen Galloway