Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Keen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 29 Jun 2005 13:30

I am trying to find out some more details about my great grandfather, Hefred (or Ethret) John Keen. He was born in 1845 in Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire. His mother was Elizabeth Keen and his father was unknown. He married Sarah Weedon at Aylesbury registry office in 1871 and possibly was married a second time to Sarah Bracknell. From this marriage or both I know of at least 8 children. Charles william Keen was my grandfather and he lived in Aston Clinton until at least 1901 where he worked as a gardener for the Rothschild family. He subsequently married Edith Moore in Bristol and had two children, Gladys Frances Keen born in Bishops Lydeard Somerset ca 1905 and my father Herbert Raymond Keen born near Radstock Somerset in 1908. I have a number of questions: Why do none of my ancestors prior to my father appear on any census records? Who was the mysterious father of Hefred and where does this unusual name come from? Where is Hefred John buried and when did he die? Why did the whole Keen family appear to migrate from Buckinghamshire to Somerset around the end of the 19th century- there are several Keen gravestones in the Churchyard at Aston Clinton.