Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find McKinlay

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joseph

Joseph Report 18 Nov 2004 20:00

My father, John McKinlay was born in 1905 in Glasgow, Scotland, and passed away in January 1987. He married Isabella Meighan and had 9 children - James, Margaret, Mary, Jean, Cathie, Isabel, William, Joseph and Joan. John's father was James McKinlay and his mother was Mary McKenna. His wife, Isabella's father was William Meighan, and her mother was Jane Anderson. I have not had any luck with family members finding out anything about this McKinlay family, and would appreciate any information anyone would have. Thanks. Joe McKinlay

Catherine

Catherine Report 25 Mar 2008 20:54

Hi
My dad's father was James McKinlay. He had an uncle Gilbert. My dad born 1922 married a Mc Kenna(Rachel) born 1927. My dad's brothers were ..William,James.Hugh and John who was adopted as a baby when their mother died.John's adopted name as Scott.
you never know who is related out there !!

Joseph

Joseph Report 29 Jun 2008 17:24

hi joseph, the mckinlay clan is alive and well. john and isabella were my grandparents. they lived in larbert, and some family stay there still.my mum is mary, the third oldest child.from joe grogan

Samuel

Samuel Report 21 Apr 2012 19:41

my great grandparents were archibald mckinlay and catherine brown,married in east greenock 1847.my grandfather was samuel brown mckinlay born east greenock 1851, worked in the shipyards of scotland ,barrow in furness ,newcastle upon tyne and then settled in barrow in furness 1900.
his children archibald brown,edward simpson,catherine simpson,jenny,margaret.
any family out there? regards samuel brown mckinlay

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Apr 2012 19:45

Hello Samuel - these posts are several years old.

If you're wanting help with your own research then best to start a new thread of your own.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Apr 2012 16:22

Hi Samuel,

You can also try putting the names you are researching into the Search Trees box to see if anyone on this site has them in their tree. If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owner. Cx.

Samuel

Samuel Report 6 Sep 2016 22:41

looking for mckinlay ancestors from greenock.grandfather samuel laing brown mckinlay born 1851 died barrow in furness 1927. parents archibald mckinlay and catherine brown of greenock/my father was archibald brown mckinlay born 1898 newcastel upon tyne died 1966 barrow in furness

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2016 23:01

Samuel - did you follow Cynthia's advice from 2012? Even if you looked then, its worth checking again as additions may have been made in the meantime.