Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

David Roberts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 19 Aug 2005 09:28

Trying to establish some further history on Roberts family of Droitwich. John Roberts, Salter of Droitwich died in 1677, his will was proved in the Canterbury Consistory Court in 1677. We have been unable to trace his baptism. Married to Beatrice ( surname probably Hay) sometime prior to 1643. Oldest child Richard was baptised at St Andrew Droitwich on 21st January 1643, other children were John, William, Mary , Thomas, George, Henry and James all apparently born in Droitwich. Familly seem to have had substantial interests in Salt and land in Droitwich , as well as an Inn called the Greene Dragon. Interested in finding out anything prior to this, there is a tenuously suggested link back to Roberts/Robartes family of Cornwall- but prior to Droitwich the trail has gone cold

Ann

Ann Report 1 Dec 2014 09:31

Hi found you again in my hunt for my Roberts forebears. I have only just come to this search via my cousin Jan in Massachusetts - we are both great grandchildren of Gregory Roberts of East London who died c 1945 in St Albans. I live near Droitwich so may be able to investigate locally. Please contact me?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Dec 2014 09:42

Ann

David posted only once, and is unlikely to be looking now for replies

If you wish to try to make contact, click on his name and send a message

It might be prudent to establish that your Roberts heritage is in some way connected to his before doing so, unless, of course, you are merely offering, very generously, to assist David with his research

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Dec 2014 10:02

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Haggerstone Road, St Leonard Shoreditch, Shoreditch, London, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Fredk Jas Roberts Son - Male 13 1858 - Middlesex, England Transcription
Gregory Ed Roberts Son - Male 8 1863 - Middlesex, England Transcription
Marth Williamson Boarder - Female 20 1851 - Norfolk, England Transcription

The above transcription is erroneous

Marth is NOT in the same household

FMP have omitted the head of the household....who is Sarah Beckwith, widow, born Waltham Abbey, whose age is virtually obliterated by the enumerator's check mark, although it looks to me as though it could be 83, and FMP agree, so she clearly isn't the mother of the Roberts boys

If you don't know his father's details, this will tell you......if named

First name(s) GREGORY EDWARD
Last name ROBERTS
Birth year 1862
Birth quarter 4
Registration month -
Mother's last name -
District SHOREDITCH
County London
Country England
Volume 1C
Page 216

With such a common surname, you need every scrap of proof that you can get.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Dec 2014 10:12

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Markfield Rd Newsagent, Tottenham, Edmonton, Middlesex, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Frederick J Roberts Head Single Male 23 1858 News Agent Shoreditch, Middlesex, England Transcription
Gregory E Roberts Brother Single Male 18 1863 Printer Compositor Shoreditch, Middlesex, England Transcription
Mary A Roberts Mother Married Female 58 1823 - Norwich, Norfolk, England