Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bingley Speights

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 2 Mar 2008 14:34

I have traced the Bingley Speights back to the mid 1700's to a Ratcliffe Speight. I am keen to know who Ratcliffe's parents were and where they came from as there appear to be no Speights in Bingley in the early 1700's. I am also trying to find out if this branch of the Speights are linked to the Rothwell Speights as a lot of the family names are the same. Can anyone help?

Robert

Robert Report 14 Sep 2014 21:03

Hi Joan,
There does not seem to be any response to your post from 2008 , so I presume you have not had any reply and am not sure if you are still looking for information re Ratcliffe Speight .
I have a record of two Ratcliff Speights
1) Ratcliff Speight b c 1731 Bingley (??) , married a Martha Lambert 20 Apr 1755 in Bingley . Records suggest this Ratcliff may have married twice , but I have not found any record of a second marriage. I do not have record of the parents of this Ratcliff. This Ratcliff and Martha may have deceased in Leeds , however the term "Leeds " covers an awful lot of ground around Leeds and needs further research . There was probably a son :-
2) Ratcliff Speight b c 1761 Bingley (?) . I have no record of marriage or death of this person..
There may have been other siblings , but I do not have a record of any.

The above records are from Parish records and are where the individual was Baptised, which does not necessarily mean they were born there .
If you have any idea who the or where the Ratcliff name came from , I would appreciate it if you would let me know. The above info is the earliest Speight information that I have from the Bingley area.

The earliest Speight records I have from the Rothwell(?) area are from 1518 (the bracket question mark bracket indicates a degree of uncertainty -the number of question marks indicate more uncertainty ) and from the Rothwell area with a reasonable degree of ceratainty from 1620. I have not so far found any link between the Bingley and Rothwell Speights. Please note this does not necessarily mean thwas no link , only that there is an absence of information confirming a link. When you are researching that far back in the records , information is very sketchy. Hope this is of use to you.
Regards Bob Speight.

patchem

patchem Report 14 Sep 2014 21:16

Robert,

Joan may have received pm's to her query, as the boards have not always been arranged for replies that all can see.

If you want to contact Joan it would probably be better to click on her name and send her a message, as she may not be reading the boards, or no longer be an active member of genes.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Sep 2014 22:10

well while we're here - and I have little to do :-D

Name: Ratcliff Speight
Christening Date: 31 May 1761
Christening Place: BINGLEY,YORK,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Ratcliff Speight
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00737-3 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 919129

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Sep 2014 22:12

Spouse's Name: Martha Lambert
Event Date: 20 Apr 1755
Event Place: Bingley,York,England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00737-3 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 919129

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Sep 2014 22:21

Spouse's Name: Ann Smith
Event Date: 16 Nov 1769
Event Place: Bingley,York,England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00737-3 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 919129