Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hornby Childrens Home, Hornby, Lancashire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 1 Sep 2008 21:34

My name is Brian Taylor and I am trying to find any information regarding Hornby Childrens Home where I spent most of my youth. I lived there from about 1940 to 1954. My mother died shortly before I went to the childrens home and I have never had any contact with my father since my mother died. I am desperate to find any information regarding my childhood years in the home. If anybody has any information about Hornby childrens home, when it closed and where all the records went, or if anybody knows anybody who worked there. I know the matron was called Miss Bell, maybe someone knew her. Any information,however small, will be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Brian

Malibu

Malibu Report 1 Sep 2008 21:48

Hi Brian, just googled Hornby childrens home and it's still in operation run by Blackpool Council, give it a try you never know, Good luck.

Jenni

Paul

Paul Report 2 Sep 2008 18:48

Hi
Thank you for trying but the Hornby Childrens I am after is no longer used as a childrens home. The building where it was is in Hornby, Near Lancaster. It is now used as a printers and the building is called Lunesdale house.
Regards
Brian

Malibu

Malibu Report 3 Sep 2008 14:26

Hi,
Sorry, my mistake, have you tried the local council of that area, sometimes they have archives etc; or the local library maybe anything is worth a shot. I'll try to see what I can find, I like a challenge. Good luck.

Regards
Jenni

Paul

Paul Report 3 Sep 2008 15:04

Thank you so much for your advice and help. It is really appreciated.
Regards
Brian

Bernard

Bernard Report 3 Sep 2008 15:31

Hi Brian, I am in a similare situation, trying to find my father. I spent some time in a childrens home in Somerset. Last year I contacted Somerset social services to access records. It took a while but they eventualy came up with comprehensive records of my movements etc from childrens homes to foster homes. They told me they have to keep records for at least 100 years, worth a try. Good luck.

Bernie PS. still no closer ti finding my dad but still pluging a way!!!!

Reason

Reason Report 7 Nov 2012 14:50

Hi Brian,

I am writing on behalf of my mother in law Ruby Horrocks who was in the Hornby Childrens home at this time.

Do you remember Matron Bell, Wray Sunday School and Nurse Downwood?

She would like any other information you may have.

Look forward to hearing back.

Many thanks,

Jill.

Mike *

Mike * Report 7 Nov 2012 15:55

Jill, you have unearthed an old post.

If you wish to make contact with any of the members you could try clicking on their name and sending your message direct

Michael

Michael Report 27 Jan 2015 18:41

Hi,
I was at the Hornby Children's Home in 1950. Although I was only there for a year, before being boarded out, I have some memories of my time there. Would love to reminisce with anyone living there at that time.
Best, martin white (known as Martin Statter at that time although my first name was actually Michael).