Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Hinton and Henry

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Quoy

Quoy Report 29 Nov 2010 05:21

I have searched but cannot find a marriage between Dorothy Elsie Hinton d.o.b.14 8 1911 Essex to

surname Henry.

They had a son in 1947
just trying to get ahead whilst waiting for birth certificate

so if anyone can see a marriage I would be very grateful

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Nov 2010 05:32

Nothing is showing on ancestry

I entered Dorothy Hinton, no date of marriage, and nothing comes up on the 1916-2005 marriage index

sorry

sylvia

jax

jax Report 29 Nov 2010 05:32

??

Marriages Sep 1939 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Becker Elsie Bown Rochford 4a 3383
Bown Frederick A Becker Rochford 4a 3383
Cause Leonard J Hinton Rochford 4a 3383
Hinton Dorothy E Cause Rochford 4a 3383

No I dont think this is her as I have found a death Dorothy Emma Cause

Quoy

Quoy Report 29 Nov 2010 05:36

Morning
thanks for looking

the waiting is 4 weeks now for a certificate

jax

jax Report 29 Nov 2010 05:40

1911 census - household transcription
Person: HINTON, Hector
Address: Birdbrook Halstead Essex

HINTON, Hector Head Married
14 years M 37 1874 Stud Groom Everton Liverpool VIEW
HINTON, May Forence Wife Married
14 years F 32 1879 Nayland Suffolk VIEW
HINTON, Reginald John Son M 13 1898 School Stoke by Nayland Suffolk VIEW
HINTON, Jessie May Daughter F 11 1900 School Stoke by Nayland Suffolk VIEW
HINTON, Hector Clenson Son M 9 1902 School Stoke by Nayland Suffolk VIEW
HINTON, Daisy Florence Daughter F 8 1903 School Steeple Bumpstead Essex VIEW
HINTON, Edward Charles Son M 6 1905 School Steeple Bumpstead Essex VIEW
HINTON, Isabel Frances Daughter F 2 1909 Birdbrook Halstead Essex VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoy

Quoy Report 29 Nov 2010 05:53

Thanks Jax
that is Dorothy 's family in 1911 another 4 children born after the that

jax

jax Report 29 Nov 2010 06:01

Is the child born in Paddington 1947? how do you know it is Dorothy's child?

jax

Quoy

Quoy Report 29 Nov 2010 06:06

Anthony died in 1982 when his daughter was 10yrs old .
She has given me information on her Hinton side but knows nothing of her fathers side

jax

jax Report 29 Nov 2010 06:23

Think you are going to have to wait until the cert arrives. There does not seem to be a marriage that I can see, maybe he was married before? no divorce ect

jax

Joanne

Joanne Report 23 Mar 2017 21:31

I know this is a bit of a long shot as the above was posted in 2010. I have recently started to do my family tree and look into my deceased father's family. My father was Anthony who died in 1982 when I was 10 years old and my grandmother was Dorothy and my grandfather was Reginald. The above post that was made by Quoy above, please, please get in touch. Thank you.

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 23 Mar 2017 22:38

Click on quoy name and send a message

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Mar 2017 00:14

Hi Joanne

I think Quoy is still around, but she might not be watching for a reply to this thread, and GR does not notify people of new posts on a thread.

You would do far better to do as littlelegs suggested and send her a message through the GR system by clicking on her name.

GR will then notify her that there is a message, and she will be able to make contact with you.

Good luck!

Joanne

Joanne Report 25 Mar 2017 22:15

Thank you littlelegs and SylvialnCanada for your help and advice, I have sent her a message so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 25 Mar 2017 23:15

Found this record that might be Dorothy in 1939 (right date of birth) but says she is single...

Galcally Household (9 People) 13 Edgware Road , Paddington, London, England

Dorothy E Henry (Shinton) 14 Aug 1911 Female Housemaid Single 253 7 <<<<<<<<<<<<
Richard G Galcally 09 Dec 1898 Male Civil Servant (Inland ?) Married 253 1
Wilhelmina C F Galcally 31 May 1903 Female Licensed Victualler Married 253 2
John E Willis 16 Dec 1907 Male Barman Single 253 3
Violet Wilson 20 May 1904 Female Barmaid Single 253 4
Marcel F Jouanny 09 Nov 1916 Male Barman Single 253 5
Thomas Nixon 31 Jan 1916 Male Cellarman Single 253 6
Edward R Bolton 21 Feb 1895 Male L P T B Driver Married 253 8
Lilian Bolton 19 May 1898 Female Waitress Married 253 9

On the actual image her surname was written as HINTON (not Shinton, as
transcribed above). This has been crossed out and HENRY written over the top.

In 1947, when Anthony's birth was registered in Paddington, there was a Dorothy E Henry living at 1, Sutherland Place, Westminster, Paddington, with several other people, but no Mr Henry.

malyon

malyon Report 26 Mar 2017 00:55

is this Dorothy's birth

Births Sep 1911   (>99%)

Hinton
 Dorothy E
 Firman
 Risbridge
 4a

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 26 Mar 2017 08:08

The 1939 register actually states that her name was changed by Deedpole (not marriage). The surname change to Henry was entered into the register on 1 May 1945.

Joanne

Joanne Report 27 Mar 2017 22:15

That is the correct Dorothy at 1 Sutherland Place (my grandmother) as on my dad Anthony's birth certificate that is the same address that is shown. I need to find out if I have any living relatives on my dad's side. I am new to all of this so not sure where to start. On the birth certificate for my dad, Dorothy's surname is Henry.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Apr 2017 00:14

and a new thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1365569

Quoy said in this thread that she was searching on behalf of Anthony's daughter, i.e. Joanne, so I'm not sure why you need to contact Quoy, Joanne?

It would just have been wise to continue this thread rather than start a new one, especially without giving the info that is in this thread.

I suggest we do that now.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Apr 2017 00:26

I posted this in Joanne's new thread, as speculation about a possible Reginald Henry.

===============================

In the mid-1940s there is a Reginald Henry on electoral rolls in Paddington, but living with an Edith Henry.

The same couple is there up to 1961 at the same address, 52 Inverness. After that, that Reginald Henry is living in Bravington Rd.

(Ancestry's database is so bad that Reginald seems to be there before 1947, but I can't find the right image.)

note: that marriage took place two years after your dad's birth, and the registration indicates that the bride was using the groom's surname at the time of marriage.

on the 1939 register, a Reginald C Henry 1913 is living in Bermondsey with what seem to be his parents Albert and Elsie and siblings Alfred and Alice

Marriages Dec 1940
Henry Reginald C Stean Bermondsey 1d 354
Stean Marjorie E Henry Bermondsey 1d 354

that couple had only one child, in the early 1940s.

this is all just speculation and investigation at this point ... but it could suggest the possibility of a wartime marriage that did not last ...

Name: Reginald Charles Henry
Birth Date: 25 Feb 1913
Date of Registration: Nov 1997
Age at Death: 84
Registration district: Greenwich
Inferred County: London
Register Number: C59
District and Subdistrict: 2291C
Entry Number: 143

can find no birth for Marjorie E Stean so can't identify her death

Does his birth certificate say who registered the birth? If she did, and Reginald was not present and they were not married, she could legally have registered your dad only in her surname, if she had not changed it by deed poll by then. (She could only have named the father if she was married or he was present.)

Joanne

Joanne Report 7 Apr 2017 22:06

I have only just decided to look into this, so never been in touch with Quoy before. She was researching this on behalf of somebody else not me. (Maybe one of my relatives, which I am desperately trying to find). Think you have read it wrong. Thank you for the above info. I am at a loss as to where to go next as never done anything like this before. Your help is greatly appreciated.