Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

3 daughters in a photo

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 21 Jun 2011 21:56

Hi....I have a photo of my fathers uncle who emigrated to New Zealand and his family.

His name in John James Elder and he was born in Reay in 1892. He emigrated to New Zealand sometime between 1911 and 1914 and married Grace Sutherland in 1921. The photo I have shows him, his wife Grace, 2 sons and 3 daughters.

I believe the 2 sons are Ronald Murdo William Elder (1922-1987) and Murray Sutherland Elder (1924-1999), however I cannot find any info at all on the 3 daughters. The daughters all look younger than the 2 sons on the photo so I would guess they were probably born between 1925 and 1930. The family lived at , Oamaru, Otago.

Can anyone help with any details on the 3 daughters....Thanks

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 21 Jun 2011 22:20

How do you know the 3 girls are daughters?

James

James Report 21 Jun 2011 22:23

I don't for definite but my Dad said they had daughters but does not have any info on them.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 22 Jun 2011 03:53

1971/45966 Elder John James 79Y

Grace's probate (Timaru office, 1978)
ELDER Grace Murray - Oamaru

1978/38835 Elder Grace Murray [dob] 2 February 1897

and a son, also at Timaru, in 1987
ELDER Ronald Murdo William - Maheno - Retired

1987/38399 Elder Ronald Murdo William [dob] 14 September 1922

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 22 Jun 2011 04:01

Assuming you are not in NZ, try contacting Murray at http://www.raogk.com/newzealand.htm

Pat

Pat Report 25 Jun 2011 23:24

Goodmorning, I would like to suggest that you photocopy the photograph and send it to (google) a museum or achives in Oamaru and ask them. You just never know. Pat

Lorna

Lorna Report 12 Aug 2014 20:31

Hi James
I have just looked at this link to the cemetery. http://www.waitaki.govt.nz/services/SitePages/CemeteriesSearch.aspx
It would appear that perhaps all the family are buried here?

Mary Emelia Elder 1915 - 2008 (perhaps twins?)
Ethel Jane Elder 1915 - 1960
Esther May Elder 1920 -1999
Murray Sutherland Elder 1999 age 75
Ronald MUNRO Elder 1971 age 64

John James Elder Died 1971 age 79
Grace Murray Elder 1978 age 81

there is also a Findlay Ronald Elder died 1986 age 79

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 12 Aug 2014 21:35

Hi Lorna

If you look at the date of this thread, it was posted over 3 years ago.

James might not return to it now.

If you click on his name.......you can send him a personal message. If he is still a member with the same email address, GR will let him know that he has received a message from you.

James

James Report 15 Aug 2014 00:23

Hi....Lorna that posted a few days ago is my cousin so she told me that she had posted so have picked it up ok. The 3 girls births given on the post though are between 1915 & 1920 so possibly not the 3 girls I was looking for as parents only married in 1921 and the girls all look younger than the boys on the photo. More likely the 3 girls in the photo all married so they would not be showing as Elders on any Cemetery lists.....maybe will never find out as they don't seem to show on any of the online electoral registers at the address the family lived at.

James

James Report 15 Aug 2014 00:29

PS The Finlay Ronald Elder mentioned earlier I already have on my tree. He is John James Elder's cousin

Gee

Gee Report 15 Aug 2014 11:03

New Zealand, Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981

Name:John James Elder

Electoral Year:1946

District:Oamaru

Region or Province:Otago

Living alongside John James Elder (labourer) at Trent St is:

Grace Murray married
Lily Elder spinster
Murray Sutherland labourer
Ronald Murdo labourer

All the above are on the ER below but here there is also a Violet Elder- spinster Trent St

New Zealand, Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981

Name:John James Elder

Electoral Year:1949

District:Oamaru

Region or Province:Otago

So it looks like two of the children are Violet and Lily. There is no sign of a third daughter. The third possible daughter may have died young and therefor she would not appear on the ER.

Another possibility is the third daughter, married and appears on the ER with her married name

And finally, the third girl in the photo may not have been a daughter of John & Grace but a family member or friend

Ru

Ru Report 16 Aug 2014 11:17

Hi there,

Try the White Pages for Elders still l\iving in Oamaru and in the Otago area.

Good luck,

Sappho

James

James Report 25 May 2015 15:10

Hi....I received an email today through a different site giving a possible link to one of the daughters but as I am not a fully paid up member of that site I cant check if it is the same one.

Name given on the link is Isobel Mary born 29/07/1931, who married someone with the surname Ogg and died on 13/02/1997....all in New Zealand

Does anyone know if this Isobel Mary born on the above date is part of the same family and if so how could I find the marriage details and the first name of her husband

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 May 2015 16:10

A tree on Ancestry has the 2 sons that you mention and also a daughter Isobel Mary (1931-1997).

James

James Report 25 May 2015 17:07

Hi Margee....if the tree you refer to on ancestry is a Brown Family Tree then it is my own ancestry tree. I put Isobel Mary on there earlier today in the hope that a hint may come up. The 2 sons I put on about 3 years ago at the time I started this thread.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 May 2015 17:09

You can order a copy of the DC from https://www.bdmonline.dia.govt.nz/
Not sure if it would show her maiden name.

Privacy laws mean that you can't order or search for

Births that occurred less than 100 years ago
Stillbirths that occurred less than 50 years ago
Marriages that occurred less than 80 years ago
Deaths that occurred less than 50 years ago or the deceased’s date of birth was less than 80 years ago
Civil unions

Added - DC will show (if known or the informants knowledge)
Name and occupation of father.
Name and maiden name of mother.

Valerie

Valerie Report 26 May 2015 01:55

In case it helps - the 'National Library of NZ' (Auckland) (on-line) has an 'Ask Us' librarian service - they will check electoral rolls (past & present) and newspaper death notices (for less common names) etc.
Valerie
WAus