Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Wynne Bradley

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 5 Oct 2011 15:46

Hi there, i have Mary Wynne Bradley who married John alexander tompsett in 1951 Kent, on the marriage entry it shows that john married maiden name Pike (her previous married name), Bradley (her maiden name) but it also shows tompsett - does this mean she was married to a tompsett prior to her marriage to John alexander - i do know that their first child was born in 1941 - could they have divorced and remarried 10 years later?

I also cannot find a marriage for her and the Pike person or her birth record, i think her mother was called agnes

she then emigrated to australia in 1954 with her husband john and their children

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Oct 2011 15:54

???

Name: Mary W Bradley
Spouse Surname: Sidney H Pike
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1932
Registration district: Newton Abbot
Inferred County: Devon
Volume Number: 5b
Page Number: 200

Looks possible that there may have been 3 sons born to that marriage.

Potty

Potty Report 5 Oct 2011 16:00

The Tompsett marriage took place in Thirsk, which is Yorkshire not Kent.

She could have been living with John Tompsett as his wife and using his name.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Oct 2011 16:02

Name: Mary Wynne Tompsett
Birth Date: 1909
Death Date: 6 Oct 1995
Cemetery: Hogbin Drive Crematorium
Cemetery Location: Coffs Harbour, New South Wales
Compiled By: Coffs Harbour District Family History Society
Remarks: Headstone: Yes; Undertaker: Keith Logue & Sons; Ashes: Gardens.

Name: John Alexander Tompsett
Birth Date: 1905
Death Date: 25 Oct 1985
Cemetery: Hogbin Drive Crematorium
Cemetery Location: Coffs Harbour, New South Wales
Compiled By: Coffs Harbour District Family History Society
Remarks: Headstone: Yes; Undertaker: Pacific Funerals; Ashes: Gardens.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 5 Oct 2011 16:31

hi jonesey, yes thats them after burial in australia

I have also seen that marriage entry to pike and have found the three sons, Barrie born 1935, Karl born 1937 and david born and died 1934, i cannot find any other information for barrie, karl or sidney or any death records

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Oct 2011 16:35

I understand that Australian death certificates have more information on them than UK ones. I think they include the deceased's parents information so if you obtain a copy of Mary's then you may have more information about her origin.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 5 Oct 2011 16:42

thanks for letting me know, i fly into sydney on 1st november to visit her family so will get a copy of it

its the marriage to sidney thats confusing me now, i know she was married to a pike previously but didnt know anything about any children

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 5 Oct 2011 16:42

thanks for letting me know, i fly into sydney on 1st november to visit her family so will get a copy of it

its the marriage to sidney thats confusing me now, i know she was married to a pike previously but didnt know anything about any children

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 9 Feb 2012 23:37

ok, just an update - i couldnt get copy of death certificate for mary wynne bradley in australia, but did manage a copy of her marriage certificate showing fatehr as harry or henry bradley a civil engineer, they were married in 1951 and her fatehr is shown as deceased, they were living in York at the time

i have been unable to find mary on any census records, i know she was born in 1908 so she should be on the 1911 census but i cant find her or her parents Harry./Henry or agnes, i beleive also that she had a brother phillip but not sure if he was older or younger than her, the marriage was in the county of york, in thirsk

if anyone is able to find census records or any birth record for mary i would be ever so grateful

stephanie

Potty

Potty Report 10 Feb 2012 12:37

How do you know she was born in 1908 if you do not have her birth cert? I have worked this DOB out from an age on a marriage or death cert? These ages are quite often wrong!

Given her father's occupation, I wonder if she could have been born abroad?

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 19 Feb 2012 04:36

hi there and thanks for the reply, i have her date of birth from her daughterr in australia and they have no other information for her apart that she died in 1995, i have tried all avenues to trace more information for her or her family but have hit a brick wall

stephanie

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 21 Feb 2012 10:35

anyone?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 21 Feb 2012 11:03

Have you tried searching the 1911 census for a Bradley using the keywords Civil Engineer please?

Have you considered that her birth may not be registered as Bradley? Perhaps her mother re-married and Bradley is the step father's surname.

Have you considered buying the Bradley / Pike marriage certificates to check the details that she gives for her father on that?

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 21 Feb 2012 12:18

thank you for your help

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 21 Feb 2012 21:41

Well, i just tried what you said about the 1911 census, found a henry bradley living in kent with wife agnes and his occupation is general labourer in building trade - could be then that mary was not born yet as there are no children listed and shows no children born so maybe this is them as its within the right area

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 5 Mar 2013 19:14

ok, still looking for information regarding Mary - i have her marriage certificate to Sydney Herbert Pike, shows her age at 23 in 1932 therefore year of birth 1908/1909 - her father is listed as Henry Bradley Deceased, the witnesses were A Pike (sydney's father Andrew Pike (gardener)) and Agnes K (could say Kaines) bradley - we believe that this was Mary's mother, still cannot find her on the 1911 census -
another pair of eyes may help for 1911 census, it is believed she had a brother Philip

stephanie
p.s - as regards to the possible 3 sons born to pike/bradley, these are not mary/sidney but another pike/bradley as i applied for copy of the birth certificate for one of the children and parents were Dorothy Elizabeth Pike formerly Bradley and William Harry Pike

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Mar 2013 19:37

All trees ( except one ) show DOB as Oct 1908.
But not seeing a birth on freebmd under Bradley or Wynne

Mary Wynne Bradley
Birth 07 OCT 1908
Death 1995 - Australia

One has DOB as 1905

Mary Wynn Bradley
[Mary Wynne Bradley]
Birth: 07 Oct 1905 (7 Oct 1905)
Death: 06 Oct 1995 (6 Oct 1995)
Marriage: 1951 - Thirsk, England
Parents: Henry Bradley, Agnes Bradley
Spouse: John Alexander Tompsett

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 5 Mar 2013 19:47

yes i've seen those too, i just found a 1911 census record for an agnes and mary showing mary's age as 2 and mother agnes as 32, agnes is listed as being married for 3 years but not showing husband on page mother occupation is shown as Caretaker

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Mar 2013 19:47

Marriages Jun 1951

PIKE Mary W -TOMPSETT- Thirsk 1b 1472
TOMPSETT JOHN A - PIKE - Thirsk 1b

Choccy

Choccy Report 5 Mar 2013 20:03

??

Births Jun 1879 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bradley Agnes Kaines Kensington 1a 83