Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Annie' Maria Liggins *insert loud screams*

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 4 Jun 2012 13:42

I have tried in vain to find this lady before, and with fresh people here figured i'd try again.... there's very little chance of duplicating data as there was very little anyhow!!

*I have removed the other many threads as most just added their own opinions of Annie rather than adding info!*

I am looking for (Annie) Maria Liggins born 1870 ish, the ish will become apparent as i go along as will the name Annie!

'Annie' Maria first comes to light as the mother of my partner's Grandfather Eli Pilkington, born 21 Sept 1907, 64 Annie Street, Accrington, Lancashire. She is listed on the birth cert as Annie Pilkington, formerly Liggins.

I have the 1911 census for the address:

RG14PN24777 RG78PN1420 RD471 SD4 ED29 SN31
Address: 64 Annie Street Accrington County: Lancashire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PILKINGTON, William Head Married M 55 1856 Coal Miner Hewer Lancs Baxenden
PILKINGTON, Annie Wife Married 5 years F 46 1865 Staffs King Hill Staffordshire
PILKINGTON, Eli Son M 3 1908 Lancs Accrington
PILKINGTON, William Son M 0 (4 MONTH) 1911 Lancs Accrington

There is no marriage for this couple, as 'Annie' was already married to a Mr George Death.

'Annie' Maria's marriage to George Death was on 7 Feb 1895 in Waterfoot, Lancashire. (she calls herself Annie Maria Liggins) Her father is William Liggins Collier. Both state full age she a spinster he a widower. They are on the 1901 census seperated.

1901 20, Tunstead Mill Terrace, Bacup, Stacksteads
RG number: RG13 Piece: 3853 Folio: 66 Page: 18
Address: 20, Tunstead Mill Terrace, Bacup, Stacksteads County: Lancashire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEATH, Annie Head Married F 28 1873 Jelly Stamper For Confectioner Wednesbury Staffordshire

~~~~
1901 1, Back Waterbarn Lane, Bacup, Stacksteads
RG number: RG13 Piece: 3851 Folio: 180 Page: 16
Address: 1, Back Waterbarn Lane, Bacup, Stacksteads County: Lancashire
DEATH, George Head Widower M 43 1858 Stone Quarryman Suffolk
DEATH, George Wm Son Single M 19 1882 Stone Quarryman Stacksteads Lancashire
DEATH, Maud A Daughter Single F 5 1896 Stacksteads Lancashire
DEATH, Berty Son M 3 1898 Stacksteads Lancashire

George lists himself as Widower on the 1901 and the 1911 census, even tho 'Annie' Maria Liggins is still alive.

'Annie' is a quality mother whom after having her last child with George (Arthur not listed on the 1901 census) in 1902, leaves them all and moves in with William Pilkington!! whom has just lost his own wife in 1905.

I'm am now, after 10 years or more of looking, fairly certain 'Annie' and William never married.

Now after William Pilkington dies in 1915, 'Annie' leaves her 2 children by William in the street and runs off with another man!....and then marries him as Widow Pilkington (aged 45) on 8 Jul 1922 in Haslingden, Lancashire. Living at 36 Far Back, Pleasant Street, Haslingden. Her father is now listed as William Liggins, Farm Servant.

Now i have whom i believe to be this 'Annie' Maria Liggins on the 1881 census with her family.

RG number: RG11 Piece: 2857 Folio: 73 Page: 14
Address: 38, Wood St, Wednesbury County: Staffordshire
LIGGINS, William Head Married M 50 1831 Screw Maker Darlaston
LIGGINS, Ann Wife Married F 45 1836 Screw Maker Wife Nottingham
LIGGINS, John Son Single M 16 1865 Iron Roller Darlaston
LIGGINS, Joseph Son Single M 14 1867 Rivet Heater Darlaston
LIGGINS, Maria Daughter Single F 10 1871 Darlaston
LIGGINS, William Son Single M 8 1873 Scholar Wednesbury
LIGGINS, Harriet Daughter Single F 4 1877 Scholar Wednesbury

Wood Street is in the middle of King's Hill, Staffordshire and i have the birth certs for all the children.... including 2 to this couple for a Maria Liggins, no death for 1.

Now could it be possible our Maria wasn't a bigamist and indeed we have 2 Maria's marrying in close proximity? Their elder brother moves to the Haslingden area before them.

Her ages are all over the shop ranging from the age of the first Maria to the age of the second Maria.

1st being born 2 Apr 1870
2nd being born 31 Mar 1875

I just need some fresh eyes on this, as i do not have a death for her, she disappears not long after 1944....

The main certs i have in crono order are....

Marriage - 7 Feb 1895, Full Age, Annie Maria Liggins (Father William Liggins - Collier) to George Death.
Birth - 1895 Maud Annie, Annie Maria Death formerly Liggins
Birth - 1897 Berti, Annie Death formerly Liggins
Birth - 1907 Eli, Annie Pilkington formerly Higgins
Birth - 1910 William, Annie Pilkington formerly Liggin
Marriage - 8 Jul 1922, 45, Annie Pilkington (Father Wlliam Liggings - Farm Servant) to Levi Hargreaves.

I have all the certs i can find and am certain of the validity of the facts going back as far as 'Annie's' marriage to George Death...... everything before then is pure conjecture on my behalf.

So, i'd like some more thoughts on this.... *sits and awaits the groans*

Tracey :-D xx

Adeline

Adeline Report 4 Jun 2012 14:21

This looks like the 1881 family you listed:

1871 census:
Butcroft Victoria Yard, Darlaston

LIGGINS, William Head M 41 1830 Warwickshire, Bedworth, occupation Bolt ????
LIGGINS, Ann Wife F 39 1832 Nottinghamshire
LIGGINS, John Son M 7 1864 Staffordshire
LIGGINS, Joseph Son M 3 1868 Staffordshire
LIGGINS, Maria Daughter F 1 1870 Staffordshire
WARD, Mary Servant F 14 1857 Staffordshire

So if this is the correct Annie Maria, why did she say her father was a collier, I wonder?

Adeline

Adeline Report 4 Jun 2012 14:35

1891:
1 Court 5, Bell Street, Darlaston

MARLOW, William M Head Married M 32 1859 Nut & Bolt Forger
Darlaston, Staffordshire
MARLOW, Emily Wife Married F 23 1868 Darlaston, Staffordshire
MARLOW, Joseph Son Single M 13 1878 Scholar Darlaston, Staffordshire
MARLOW, John Son Single M 7 1884 Scholar Darlaston, Staffordshire
>>>>>>LIGGINS, Maria Boarder Single F 22 1869 Bolt Screwer Darlaston, Staffordshire

So, somehow, she went from Darlaston in 1891 to be married in Lancashire in 1895.

wisechild

wisechild Report 4 Jun 2012 14:37

same William in 1861???
With wife Rosetta aged 24 or 34 also b Nottinghamshire
daughter Mar Ann aged 4
Occ screwmaker.
She could have lied about his occupation because nail & screwmakers came fairly low on the social scale.

living 1861 Cock St Darlaston.

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 4 Jun 2012 17:58

Hi guys,

Yes i had found those census's also, and wanted to see if you went down the same route as myself.

'Annie's' eldest brother did go to Lancashire first and i am wondering if she left where she was living in 1891 and joined him.... may have got her out of the slums she was living in?

I have no idea why she stated her father was a Collier.... however i am wondering whether it's because he may have been based at one of the many Collieries that were dotted around.... and she simply assumed that he was a Collier and not, as we now maybe know, to be a Bolt Maker?

I am trying my hardest not to influence the findings you all have on the conjecture i have, as i want to be able to find new information that may not be easily found. The only actually facts i have end with Annie's first marriage.... so everything else is purely a guess.

The only thing i have had a thought on, is the fact that 'Annie's' Mother may have been an Ann also... Did my Maria change her first name to Annie when she married George in memory to her mother who also died around the same time she married?

Was Maria already married before she married George.... let's face it, she's capable of it?.... is that why she ran away from Staffordshire?

T x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Mar 2017 13:27

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1365241

From link given on above, adding here, if him below...

Chris :)

08 October 1896 - Lancashire Evening Post - Preston, Lancashire, England

BRUTAL ASSAULT BY A STACKSTEADS QUARRYMAN. At Bacup Police Court, yesterday, George Death, flurry man, Stacksteads, was charged on remand with assaulting his wife. It appears that while having dinner on Monday, prisoner and his wife had a quarrel, and he struck her several times about the head. She was in a crouching position behind the door, and sustained a terrible wound on the right cheek, immediately under the eye. She had also other injuries. The prisoner had frequently assaulted her during their two years married life. Prisoner was fined 10s., in default, a month's hard labour, and a separation order was granted, prisoner to pay 8s. per week towards the maintenance of his wife and child.

Edits (saw below, if relating also)

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1899

DEATH Olive Helene LIGGINS Rawtenstall A 1st Preston R.A/7/52

Lancashire Death indexes for the years: 1900

DEATH Olive Helena 1 Bacup Preston BAC/5/67

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1901

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1901

DEATH Arthur LIGGINS Rawtenstall A 1st Preston R.A/11/11

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

(from above)

Marriage: 20 Aug 1921 St Nicholas, Newchurch in Rossendale, Lancashire, England
Bertie Death - 23, Tram Driver, Bachelor, 12 South Street Newchurch
Mabel Jane Seal - 23, Slipper Machinist, Spinster, 12 South Street Newchurch
Groom's Father: George Death, Quarryman
Bride's Father: William Seal, Felt Hardener
Witness: Arnold Willie Seal; Maggie Lord
Married by Banns by: George E Knapp-Fisher Rector
Register: Marriages 1921 - 1943, Page 5, Entry 9
Source: Original Parish Register

Baptism: 9 Oct 1951 St Nicholas, Newchurch in Rossendale, Lancashire, England
Bertie De'Ath - [Child] of George De'Ath & Annie
Notes: Adult
Baptised by: Stanley Lane, Rector
Register: Baptisms 1890 - 2008, Page 259, Entry 2084
Source: Original Parish Register

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

(from above)

West Midlands Birth indexes for the years: 1875

LIGGINS Maria Wednesbury Sandwell Register Office WED/61/385

West Midlands Birth indexes for the years: 1871

LIGGINS Harriet Wednesbury Sandwell Register Office

http://www.westmidlandsbmd.org.uk/index.php

(from above, for 1881 Census posted)

(Annie below?)

25 May 1912 - Preston Herald - Preston, Lancashire, England

CHILDREN IN NEED OF FOOD.
A charge of stealing a pair of shoes, valued 2s 6d, and the property of J. W. Crabtree, boot dealer, 1, Cedar-street. Accrington, preferred against Annie Pilkington, at the local police court. The woman, who lived over the shop with her husband and children, said that she took the shoes because her children were in need of bread. In binding her over to be of good behaviour, the Chairman (Mr. E. Welch) said that she ought to go to the relieving officer if her children were in need of food, and not steal.

(probably more items newspapers, addictive!, needs time)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Mar 2017 13:36

So ties with this thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1365242

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Mar 2017 13:47

(looks to with Pilkington Surname)

Chris )

Maddie

Maddie Report 15 Mar 2017 16:11

????????
ANNIE M
Last name HARGREAVES
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1873
Age 64
Death quarter 2
Death year 1937
District Haslingden
County Lancashire
Volume 8E
Page 153
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 21 Mar 2017 15:44

Hi Guys,

Again, thanks for all your replies.

Chris, loving the newspapers... i need to do some more digging, there have obviously been some updates since i last searched for anything :-)

I have all of George Death and Annie's children. There were many Death families in the area, all having come up from down South. The name had now migrated to D'Eath and De'Ath!!!

It's possibly Annie he's struck in the newspaper report, i know for certain she's living apart from George on the 1901 census.

Annie (Ann Maria, Annie Maria, Maria) was still alive in the late 1940's as my Father in Law (her Grandson) remembers her well. She was a big lady, and always in big floppy hats.

Chris, i'm not too sure that's them for the theft of shoes, the family were living at 64 Annie Street, Accrington in 1911, Eli and William were both born at that address.

Once again everyone, i really appreciate the input :-)

Cinders xx

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Apr 2017 17:46

Ok,

I have done a serious amount of searching for Annie Maria Liggins / Annie Pilkington/ Annie Death / Maria Liggins / Annie Maria Hargreaves.... or whatever else she calls herself.... i have found this....

https://www.dropbox.com/pri/get/Public/Screen%20Shot%202017-04-14%20at%2017.35.05.png?_subject_uid=17163669&w=AACSKjMTef0AtL1h8b8Kq0BL9bYDH7b2eKDm1wkWD6AjcQ

Can someone please take a look at the surname? I've convinced myself it says Liggin (s) The Anne M is fairly clear. I have arrowed a g further up. The upper visible pen strokes (obscured by the redacted line) seems to fit the pen strokes of the g arrowed?

The Annie (Maria Liggins) i have was born on 2 Apr 1870.... there's too many similars here...

I will def book a trip to the records office and check the ER for the actual name.

If this is Anne M Liggins, i might have found her.... and it's typical she's gone back to her original name (almost)...

Cinders :-D

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Apr 2017 17:47

Maddie,

On going through my old records, i already have that death cert for Annie M Hargreaves dying in 1937. She was a spinster and her brother recorded the death :-)

Thank you for your time :-)

Cinders :-D