Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ambrose McGarry 1899-1977

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 18 Sep 2012 11:36

I am trying to find where my great grandfather Ambrose McGarry is buried. He was born in Ashton Under Lyne in 1899 and died there on 7th December 1977. He was Roman Catholic and before his death lived on Nook Lane. I know he was survived by his second wife Sarah Ann McGarry who died in 1987. So far I have been unable to loacte his final resting place.

Mike *

Mike * Report 18 Sep 2012 11:40

Maybe look for his death in the newspaper of the day, it may tell you where the funeral was held.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Sep 2012 11:43

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2006
about Ambrose McGarry
Name: Ambrose McGarry
Birth Date: Jan 1899
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1977
Age at Death: 78
Registration district: Tameside
Inferred County: Cheshire
Volume: 39
Page: 1600

1911 England Census
about Ambrose McGarry
Name: Ambrose McGarry
Age in 1911: 12
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Hurst, Lancashire, England
Civil parish: Hurst
County/Island: Lancashire
Street Address: 26 Grey Street Hurst Ashton Under Lyne
Registration district: Ashton under Lyne
Registration District Number: 468
Sub-registration district: Mossley
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Piece: 24329
Household Members: Name Age
Peter McGarry 46
Margaret McGarry 46
Herbert McGarry 21
Mary Beatrice McGarry 19
Mabel McGarry 14
Ambrose McGarry 12
Jessie Ann McGarry 10
Valentine Walker 37
James Walker 7

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Sep 2012 11:46

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2006
about Sarah Ann McGarry
Name: Sarah Ann McGarry
Birth Date: 12 Aug 1908
Date of Registration: Feb 1987
Age at Death: 78
Registration district: Tameside
Inferred County: Greater Manchester
Volume: 39
Page: 1753

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 18 Sep 2012 12:07

Karen...You could try contacting St Christopher's RC Church Lees Road OL6 9AA....They may have details in their Burial Register....
St Christophers is just up the road from Nooks Lane and he may have been buried from there....that being said it doesnt always follow he attended St Christophers but one of the other RC Churches.... you would then need to try St Anne's RC on Burlington Rd or one of the others less local to Nooks Lane.

Karen

Karen Report 18 Sep 2012 12:55

Hi

Tried St Christophers they refered me to the registrar at Dukinfields, who I have already contacted and they have no record of Ambrose or Sarah. I also know they are not at St Josephs. Its very frustrating!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 18 Sep 2012 17:02

Karen....Have no idea who you above comment was aimed at...??

Have you tried St Ann's...?

I can only suggest that if they had any family he/they may have been buried/possibly cremated in the locality of the family...

Are the McGarry's Monumental Masons related....?

I would certainly try the obits in the local paper for both dates

Karen

Karen Report 18 Sep 2012 17:30

Hi Eringobragh1916

Yes I did try St Anne's no luck. (comment wasn't aimed at you but someone else who has since removed there comment). I have no idea if McGarry Monumental Masons are anything to do with the family. Though may be worth a try :-D thanks!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 18 Sep 2012 17:57

Karen....Have you considered that he may have been buried with his first wife...?
Not beyond the bounds of possibility as he may have "owned" that particular burial plot and depending on whether he had family from his first marriage..(given his age I would assume so) then I certainly would be checking that out...I make the suggestion only because in our family we have all manner of family being buried in places you wouldnt think to look...eg.Married children being buried with parents... and way out of the area they lived.

I have assumed he was a widower prior to his 2nd marriage...

Karen

Karen Report 18 Sep 2012 18:07

Hi Eringobragh1916

Yes that is certainly a possibility. I have tried to trace his first wife's grave as well but again no such luck at present. I shall keep looking and hopefully stumble upon something!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 18 Sep 2012 18:23

Karen...Have just checked out her Death ..June quarter 1930... He married Sarah Ann in 1938 so given the longevity of his second marriage its more likely he is with Sarah..also the children from his marriage to Ivy especially Thomas (1930) I would assume were brought up by Sarah so cant see an "issue" there...
Dont they make life difficult...!!!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Sep 2012 10:49

Sorry about the comment yesterday.

Please accept my apologies as I was having a bad moment.

Mel

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2012 12:04

Hi Mel

Dont worry we all have those!

I do appreciate the information you listed.

Thank you

Karen :-)

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2012 12:09

Hi Eringobragh1916

Yes I think its definately more likely hes with Sarah. The family all fell out with each other so makes it harder to trace unfortunately. Have found Thomas' burial details and appears he was no longer Roman Catholic. But so far hes the only one I've found

Karen :-)

Beryl

Beryl Report 11 Sep 2014 21:53

I am the great niece of Ambrose McGarry. Please contact me if you require further information.
Beryl