Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Philip Davey Serjeant (?) - Canadian Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 26 Sep 2012 15:19

My great great great grandfather mentioned above died ( by drowning) in Fort York
( now Toronto) in about 1834. He was a surgeon in the Royal Marines. I am trying to find out more about him.

David Stevens

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Sep 2012 20:37

what else do you know about him - where was he born and when - how did you get back to him

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Sep 2012 20:45

wondering if there is a connection to this man who was born in Lincolnshire, UK

Robert Sargant
Ontario Deaths,1869-1937 and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947
birth: 1814 England
death: 02 Jun 1900 Toronto,? York,? Ontario
residence: 02 Jun 1900 County of York,? Division of Toronto

name: Robert Sargant
event: Death
event date: 02 Jun 1900
event place: Toronto, York, Ontario
estimated birth year: 1814
digital folder number: 4174835

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 26 Sep 2012 21:29

There are number of private trees on ancestry have a Philip Davey Serjeant born 1797 in Cornwall .....

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Sep 2012 21:55

Google his name ...... some interesting things come up.

for example,

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CORNISH-GEN/1999-05/0925683542

From South Australian 'Register' personal notices 1836-1859 Vol 1.

8 July 1856
On the 2nd instant, by licence, at Trinity Church, by the Rev Dean
FARRELL, Robert Malachy, only son of the late Philip Davey SERJEANT,
surgeon of Callington, Cornwall, England to Elizabeth, second daughter
of Captain Thomas PETERS, Rundle Street, Adelaide.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Sep 2012 22:02

If you go to this site

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1830-01-01/1840-12-31?sortorder=score&basicsearch=%2Bphilip%20%2Bdavey%20%2Bserjeant&freesearch=philip%20davey%20serjeant&page=1

there is an article in the Royal Cornwall Gazette in 1832. It is a pay-per-view or subscription site, and I do not have a sub.

This is the "teaser"!

f PHILIP DAYEY SERJEANT, (su/d as Philip Sebxant) formeHy of Calluagtonr; Cornwall, Surgbon, ... ”

First match of your search in this article.

Sat 14 Jan 1832, Royal Cornwall Gazette, Cornwall, England
Type: Miscellaneous Words: 5021 Page: 1, 3

The main site is http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

choose Advanced Search, and just follow instructions

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Sep 2012 22:07

The British Newspaper Archives here on GR show a little more

Royal Cornwall Gazette Cornwall, England

14 Jan 1832
TRURO,— CORNWALL. STfrpKin TRADE, and PREMISES, ' of a Bookseller, declining Business, in a , most desirable and commanding situa-

-noon. \ f PHILIP DAYEY SERJEANT, (su/d as Philip Sebxant) formeHy of Calluagtonr; Cornwall, Surgbon, afterwards and late of Saint Hilliers, in thelslahd of Jersey, Surgooit Apo- thecary and Retail Dealer in Drugs, ani lastly of Calst ock, CoXnwall, and of ........

sylvia

David

David Report 27 Sep 2012 13:23

Thanks for all the assistance. The info in the British Newspaper archives is most definitely my great great great grandfather! I am in contact with the Ontario Genealogical society to see what light they can throw on his death.

David

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Apr 2014 22:16

new thread which I hope you will delete

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1339503

I ma trying to find out more about the death of my great great great grandfather mentioned above. Apparently he died in Fort York ( now Toronto), Canada in 1834.
I understand that a Coroner's Report dated the 16th June 1834 ( Coroner - George Duggan) was produced in relation to his death. His body was found floating in the harbour at Fort York.
I have been trying to find a copy of this report and have been in contact with the Archives section at the city of Toronto as well as the Ontario State Archives but theses two organisations have been unable to assist.
I wonder if anyone can suggest how to find a copy of the report.

----------------------------------------

if the Ontario (provincial) archives in Canada can't find a coroner's report then I would think it is almost certain no copy has survived

possibly the Toronto coroner's office could explain what records would have survived from the 1900s

... google finds the Ontario chief coroner's office and you might start there

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/DeathInvestigations/office_coroner/ChiefCoronerforOntario/OCC_chief.html

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Apr 2014 22:31

Don't know if they'd have anything in the Ontario Provincial Archives for that date. There was no such thing as a province of Ontario in 1834. Actually no country of Canada, we were just a colony of the British Empire.