Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Italian ancestors

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 15 Nov 2013 18:49

Hi
I have found out that my Husbands family came to England in the very late 1800 as his grandparents who are both italian married in London in 1907, but I do not know where to go from there, is there some site I can go to or do I have to go to a Italian consulate is there someone out there who know's what I need to do now :-|

patchem

patchem Report 15 Nov 2013 20:47

Have you got their marriage certificate for information about their parents?
(Just to get you started)

Added;
There is a lot of information about Italian records if you just google for them.
(Helps if you read Italian when you access them)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Nov 2013 21:16

care to give us details of who you are looking for in case we can help

also, the Mormon LDS site covers Italy - it's a free site - www.familysearch.org

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 15 Nov 2013 21:22

Have you found them on the 1911 census? It might just say they are born italy, but if you are lucky they may have given a more precise location.
Jan

patchem

patchem Report 15 Nov 2013 21:35

I think this is from Margaret's tree, so she does have more information:

Giuseppe Salussolia 1880 Alice Costello, Northern Italy

Secondo Salussolia 1909 London Sw1

Added:
Or have I picked the wrong family?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Nov 2013 21:50

If it is the right family this is them in 1911 and it could be worth noting the surname spelling because it is probably more authentic I think

Joseph Salussoglia 31
Giovana Salussoglia 30
Secondo Salussoglia 2
Luigi Salussoglia 31
Nicola Pinoxh 26

also it looks like there may be a brother

I don't understand what 'Alice Costello' refers to?

Or is it 'Alice' and 'Costello' are separate things?

edit

that marriage was Giuseppe Salussoglia and Giovanna Nicolotti in 1907 so they must be them

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Nov 2013 21:56

are these people actually one and the same ???
(I mean, are the one who travelled to NY in the records below and the one who married in 1907 in England, one and the same ...)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JXDQ-72N
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KD4R-TD1
( same record with different spellings and details )

Giuseppe Salissoglio, "New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924"

Given Name: Giuseppe
Surname: Salissoglio
?? Last Place of Residence: Alice Castello
> Event Date: 22 Apr 1900
Nationality: Italy
> Departure Port: Havre
Arrival Port: New York
Marital Status: S
Citizenship Status:
Ship Name: La Touraine

I would have doubted it ...

That Giuseppe was born about 1865 and went to NY from France in 1900 so him marrying in London in 1907 seems unlikely but you never know, but in any case the age is way off.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 15 Nov 2013 22:00

Fathers were apparently Antonio Nicolotti and secondino Salussoglia, according to a tree on Ancestry.

patchem

patchem Report 15 Nov 2013 23:57

These are also in Margaret's tree, but it is not answering the question about Italian records:
Births Jun 1935
Salussolia Antony Brighton
Births Sep 1937
Salussolia Carlo Brighton

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 Nov 2013 11:51

As Margaret is a fairly new poster, I'll let her know that she has replies to her query :-)

patchem

patchem Report 16 Nov 2013 12:33

Thank-you, Cynthia.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 01:12

received via private message:

'Alice Costello is a Town in Northern Italy and the marriage of Giuseppe Salussoglia and Giovanna Nicolotti in 1907 is the Grandparents.
Thank you for your help'

Please answer in the thread Margaret so that everyone can see the information, use the 'Add your reply' box at the bottom.

I am afraid I am no more enlightened than I was before. I don't think the person who landed in New York in 1900 had anything to do with the people who married in London in 1907, but I may just not be seeing it.

So unless there is some connection between them, is there another source for Alice CAstello as the place of birth? (It is between Turin and Milan I see.)

Maybe you sent private messages to other people answering other questions? :-)

Best to put those answers here too, for instance on the 1907 marriage certificate what are the names of the father of the bride and groom and the other information on the certificate, if you have it (and if not you should get it!)

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Nov 2013 16:19

The Giuseppe Salussolia I am trying to find out about stayed in England as far as we know as their son secondo was born in 1909 and Ettore was born in 1912, their surname was misspelt on both their birth and marriage cert's (Salosolia) I was hoping someone would know or have a connection to a site that has births/Marriage/Death on for the italians.
All of my husbands older family have passed away so we have no one to turn to :-S

patchem

patchem Report 17 Nov 2013 17:17

Do google searches, e.g.

https://familysearch.org/italy

http://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Italy_Civil_Registration-_Vital_Records

http://www.cyndislist.com/italy/bmd/

http://www.italyfreebmd.org/

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Places/Europe/Italy/Default.aspx

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 17 Nov 2013 18:04

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

(some Burials if relating above, Salussolia, Salussoglia)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=salussolia

(also if relating, above)

Chris :)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 18:09

The reason why it has been asked a couple of times what the names of the fathers on the 1907 marriage certificate was is to see whether maybe they were in England too and possibly a census record would give a place of birth, or a death record would give an age, to help you with searching .........

And of course whether there is some real source for the birthplace 'Alice Castello' other than that emigration record for what seems to be a completely different person since there is no point in searching somewhere that may be entirely incorrect.

as one of the links given by patchem says http://www.italyfreebmd.org/
'The most important fact to remember about genealogical records in Italy is that records are kept at the town (Comune) level, with duplicate copies of these records being deposited in State Archive (Ufficio dello Stato Civile) of each province, located in the provincial capital.'
so you need to know where to look.

Possibly when the 1921 census is released it will show more specific birthplaces for the couple.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 17 Nov 2013 22:45

for ref

Alice Castello
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alice Castello

Alice Castello is located in Italy

Alice Castello
Location of Alice Castello in Italy
Coordinates: 45°22'N 8°5'E
Country Italy
Region Piedmont
Province Vercelli (VC)
Government
• Mayor Vittorio Petrino
Area
• Total 24.8 km2 (9.6 sq mi)
Elevation 288 m (945 ft)
Population (31 December 2010)[1]
• Total 2,716
• Density 110/km2 (280/sq mi)
Demonym Alicesi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
• Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 13040
Dialing code 0161
Website www.comune-alicecastello-vercelli.it
Alice Castello is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Vercelli in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 45 km (28 mi) northeast of Turin and about 25 km (16 mi) west of Vercelli.
Alice is known since the 10th century AD. It houses a castle (of which only few remains of the medieval structure have survived) and an 18th-century parish church dedicated to St. Nicholas.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 17 Nov 2013 23:04

probate to secundo

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 about Giovanna Maria Ludovina Salussolia
Name: Giovanna Maria Ludovina Salussolia
Probate Date: 3 May 1956
Death Date: 6 Apr 1956
Death Place: London, England
Registry: London, England

It gives a little more info on her full name,

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 23:32

The reason I did not post all that info about Alice Castello earlier (just said it is between Turin and Milan) is that the person who emigrated to the USA in 1900 was born there but we really have no reason as yet to think that 'our' Giuseppe Salussoglia was. :-)

Giuseppe Salussolia died in 1948 in Marylebone for info.

I think I would cross fingers for there to be more info in the 1921 census because until then even knowing where to look in Italy for births is a problem. The fathers do not seem to have been in England if they were Antonio Nicolotti and Secondino Salussoglia ...

I do wonder whether Luigi Salussoglia in the 1911 household was a brother and so whether finding more info about him, possibly descendants, would lead to something. Unfortunately there were several people named Luigi Salus*lia in the vicinity in 1911 and there does not seem to be a death recorded for any of them. :-(

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Mar 2016 13:50

Sorry have not been on the site for a long time.
But my husband grandfather died in 1948 when he was a baby (he was born 1947) Giuseppe married an Giovanna Nicolotti in 1907 that's as far as I got, it does sound like that are one of the same person, have you managed to get any further