Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Richard Tobin / Kate Barrett of Macroom, Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Apr 2014 01:35

Hi, I'm just starting out on here and trying to find some information on the Tobin's of Macroom, particularly the marriage of Richard Tobin and Kate Barrett (my grandparents) and any details of their parents or siblings.

They were born circa 1880-1890 in the Macroom area of Co Cork, Ireland (Richard was a carriage builder) and they had six children :

Margaret (Peggy) 1907
Ellen Mary (Eileen) 1913
Richard William 1915
Mary Monica 1916
Robert 1917
Denis Augustine (Gussie) 1919

Thanks for looking
Richard

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Apr 2014 08:21

Look for marriage at:

https://familysearch.org/

Look for census info at:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Apr 2014 08:24

A kick-start for you

I'll let YOU have the fun of finding them for yourself in 1901

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living

Linehan Daniel 70 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Slaneen Co Cork Labourer in General Cannot read or write Irish and English Married - - - -
Linehan Hannah 52 Female Wife Roman Catholic Balimorive, Co Cork - Cannot read or write Irish and English Married - 31 4 4
Linehan John 31 Male Son Roman Catholic Macroom, Co Cork Railway Porter Read and write English Single - - - -
Hoyes Catherine 60 Female Boarder Roman Catholic Bondon, Co Cork Cook Domestic Servant Read and write English Widow - - - -
Bennett Catherine 74 Female Boarder Roman Catholic Kilmichael Co Cork Cook Domestic Servant Cannot read or write Irish and English Widow - - - -
Tobin Richard 31 Male Boarder Roman Catholic Kilmichael Co Cork Carpenter Can read and write English Married - - - -
Tobin Kate 28 Female Boarder Roman Catholic Carrightohil, Co Cork Scantress Can read and write English Married - 4 1 1
Tobin Margret Mary 3 Female Boarder Roman Catholic Kilamurry, Co Cork - Read and write English Single

Gee

Gee Report 11 Apr 2014 08:37

Hi Richard

This looks like his birth reg & baptism

Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958

Name:Richard Tobin

Date of Registration:Apr-May-Jun 1880

Registration district:Macroom

Volume:5

Page:544

FHL Film Number:101057

Ireland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911

Birth Date:21 Mar 1880

Birth Place:Kilmaccabea, Cork, Ireland

Father's Name:Michael Tobin

Mother's name:Kate Hurley Tobin

FHL Film Number:256056

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Apr 2014 09:16

Thanks Reggie and Gins,

I've seen that census and it makes sense with Margaret's birth in 1907 which puts their marriage at 1906/1907. The Kilmichael place of birth and carpentry profession also fits in with my memory. I'm not sure what Scantress means though? I'll go take another look at 1901.

Richard had brothers that were involved in the building of a wooden inner ceiling/roof at a church in Kilmichael and he was listed in 1915 as a carriage builder so that makes sense which points me in the direction of Patrick as his father due to P Tobin & Sons carpenters and then Tobin Brothers carpenters listed in Macroom around that time but again I'm not certain I'm correct.

I'm none the wiser on the parents of Kate.

Richard & Kate were living in Main Street, Macroom in 1915.

I looked at those birth links and at first thought they were definately correct but I was always told his birth month was February.

Thanks for your time and input
Richard

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Apr 2014 09:32

Seamstress, I would have thought!

When asking for help, please tell us ALL you know.......it saves us looking for info you already have!

And don't rely on what you've been 'told'..........unless it can be backed up with proof

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Apr 2014 10:37

Thanks for the advice.....The only fact/proof I have on the Macroom side for my Grandfather/Grandmother is on my father's 1915 birth certificate but nothing backwards from there is confirmed. I do know that their children are all listed correctly.

Richard

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 11 Apr 2014 11:21

???

Name: Richard Tobin
Birth Date: 29 Feb 1880
Birth Place: Macroon, Cork, Ireland
Father's Name: John Tobin
Mother's name: Hannah Collins Tobin
FHL Film Number: 256056

????

Name: Richard Tobin
Birth Year: abt 1880
Relation to Head: Son
Residence Date: 31 Mar 1901
Residence Place: Gurteenroe Street, Macroom, Cork, Ireland
Household Members:
Name Age
John Tobin 54
Hanna Tobin 48
Richard Tobin 21
Mollie Tobin 20
Kattie Tobin 18
William Tobin 16
Stephen Tobin 13
Hanna Maria Tobin 11
John Tobin 9
Margaret Tobin 7
Janie Tobin 5

Name: John Tobin
Date of Registration: 1877
Registration district: Macroom
Volume: 5
Page Number: 475
FHL Film Number: 101253

Records on Page:
Name

Catherine Herley
Hannah Collins <<<<<<<<
John Tobin
Michael Murry

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Apr 2014 11:40

Thanks Rootgatherer,

I took a look at that census and I'm not certain about it because of the tailor profession that's listed....it's possibly a correct link but the carpentry trade was the only profession I know of for my grandfather and siblings. I can't be sure so really need his birth certificate to confirm his parents names.

Richard

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Apr 2014 11:45

Look for the OTHER Richard in 1901................

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Apr 2014 12:26

This is the one that makes sense to me but it's only a guess, carpenters as profession

Residents of a house 5 in Rossnakilla (Teerelton, Cork)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion
Tobin Patrick 60 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
Tobin Margaret 45 Female Wife Roman Catholic
Tobin Richard 22 Male Son Roman Catholic
Tobin Nora 20 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
Tobin Denis 18 Male Son Roman Catholic
Tobin William 16 Male Son Roman Catholic

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Apr 2014 12:26

This is the one that makes sense to me but it's only a guess, carpenters by profession.

Residents of a house 5 in Rossnakilla (Teerelton, Cork)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion
Tobin Patrick 60 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
Tobin Margaret 45 Female Wife Roman Catholic
Tobin Richard 22 Male Son Roman Catholic
Tobin Nora 20 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
Tobin Denis 18 Male Son Roman Catholic
Tobin William 16 Male Son Roman Catholic

Potty

Potty Report 11 Apr 2014 12:35

Buy the marriage cert to confirm his father's name & occupation:

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
Date of Registration:Jan-Feb-Mar 1907
Registration district:Bandon
Volume:5
Page Number:14

Richard Tobin
Katie Barrett

You can buy the cert from this site:

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/bdm/Certificates/

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Apr 2014 13:17

Thanks for that Potty, that link seems to only give the option for ordering back to 1920.

Potty

Potty Report 11 Apr 2014 14:51

Sorry about that, Richard. It does look as if older certs cannot be ordered online.

This site has a form which can be downloaded for ordering by post. You will see that you can get a photocopy of the entry for €4:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Apr 2014 11:00

Thanks Potty, got the marriage cert from your link and then to www.groireland.ie

They have updated their records back to 1903 but the ordering system hasn't been updated online.

The cert shows Richard Tobin (Carpenter) and his father as Patrick Tobin (Carpenter). Kate Barrett's father is noted as Robert Barrett (Dairy Man) - The marriage was 12th Feb 1907 in Cloughden, Cork. Their ages aren't shown.

Richard