Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Sheehy/Shelley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynette

Lynette Report 15 Apr 2014 01:18

William Sheehy married Elizabeth Mary (nee Hamilton) in London. The family left Plymouth in November 1856 on board the Carnatic and arrived in Adelaide South Australia in April 1857. Elizabeth died in Adelaide in October 1912. I am trying to find details of her husband William's death. According to the below newspaper he was drowned at Sydney Heads. I have searched Trove, NSW Deaths and Cemeteries but cannot find any information. Can someone please help?
The Register (Adelaide) Friday 18 October 1912
"Mrs. Elizabeth M. Shelley, who died last week at the residence of her daughter,
Mrs. E. M. O'Brien, Sydenham Road, Norwood, was the widow of Mr. W. Shelley
who was reported to have been drowned at Sydney Heads some years ago. Mrs
Shelley, who was 85 years of age, was born in the West End of London and for many
years was connected with St. Marys Roman Catholic Church, Moorfield. With her
husband and children she arrived in South Australia about 55 years ago in the
Carnatic. Mr. Shelley was an engineer, and his first employment here was in
connection with the erection of the Glenelg Jetty. He subsequently took up market
gardening at Brownhill Creek, and was the author of a large number of poems,
many of which appeared in the Irish Harp, now The Southern Cross.
Mrs Shelley has left four sons, one daughter. 30 grandchildren, and 8 Great
Grandchildren."
Thanks...Lyne

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Apr 2014 08:03

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/49211109

(looks like him, earlier times)

Chris :)

Marriages Sep 1846 (>99%) (this one?)
---------------------------------------------------
Hamilton Elizabeth W Ham 12 433
Sheehy William W Ham 12 433

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/carnatic1857.shtml

Sheeny William 33 Blacksmith 1475/1 Middlesex to N.S.W.
Elizabeth M. (Hamilton) 28
John 3
Elizabeth 1

Birth 1857 11/196 SHEEHY William Edmund William SHEEHY Elizabeth Mary HAMILTON Adelaide

http://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

Lynette

Lynette Report 15 Apr 2014 21:21

Thank you Chris for the information. I didn't have their marriage details but did have the birth details of their son.....Regards Lyne

Patrick

Patrick Report 24 Jan 2017 18:37

Hi Lyne,
I'm also trying to find the correct date and place of death for my great great grandfather William Sheehy/Shelley. I'm a great grandson of John Augustine Moore Shelley (born Sheehy) at 25 Leigh Street, St. Pancras, London on 25 August 1853.
There is a lot of poetic licence used in the Death Notice as the place of death is wrong and there is no mention of the marriage breaking up prior to and finally attested to 9 March 1875.
I have a reasonably comprehensive history of Elizabeth's life after the breakup but William is difficult to find information on. I last have him at Moonta, SA in 1875 keeping company with a younger woman.
Can you assist me with any further information on William? I'm only too willing to share what I have so that we both have the proper information.
Regards,
Patrick

greyghost

greyghost Report 24 Jan 2017 18:53

Welcome to the boards Patrick.

Lynette posted in 2014 and may well not be looking for replies now. You could try clicking on her name and sending a Personal message. GR will let her know there is one in the system IF she still has the email addy she registered with them. You have to hope that she has and then that she is in a position to retrieve the message and reply.

Patrick

Patrick Report 24 Jan 2017 19:04

Thanks for the heads up greyghost.

I've taken your advice and sent a personal message.

Patrick

Patrick Report 26 Aug 2021 16:43

For anyone who's interested I believe I have found William's date and place of death with 99.9% certainty. If interested please do not hesitate to contact me.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Aug 2021 17:09

Or you could just post the details here, in case you become uncontactable through this site for any reason .