Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Brewster Pilgim Fathers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 15 Apr 2014 19:57

My Greatgradfather claimed he was related to William Brewster who sailed to USA
on the Mayflower 1620. I have found his father who lived in Westborough near Newark Notinghamshire 1820's but have not been able to get any earlier information. Has anyone got any information which may be of use to me.

Michael

Michael Report 15 Apr 2014 19:58

:-|

jax

jax Report 15 Apr 2014 20:00

Welcome to the boards Michael

Have you looked to see if he is in anyone elses tree on here?

Are your dates correct?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Apr 2014 20:20

it's always possible ... have you googled? that William Brewster is indeed believed to come from Nottinghamshire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brewster_%28Mayflower_passenger%29

'William Brewster was most probably born in Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England, about 1566, and died at Plymouth, Massachusetts on 10 April 1644. He was the son of William Brewster and Mary (Smythe) (Simkinson) and he had a number of half-siblings. His paternal grandparents were William Brewster (1510–1558), and Maud Mann (1513–1558). His maternal grandfather was William Smythe (1505–1560).'

and of course he is in many many online trees

there are hundreds of thousands, I expect millions, of descendants of Mayflower pilgrims in the USA ... some of whom, of course, have constructed very unreliable family trees :-)

if you would like help tracing the ancestor you have in Nottinghamshire in the 1820s, just add his details of birth etc to your post here

jax

jax Report 15 Apr 2014 20:24

If that was when he was born then there a quite a lot of people that have him in their tree born around that time

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Apr 2014 20:29

indeed jax ... and some of them may actually be descended from him

:-D :-D :-D

forgive me ... it's just that some of the research people do to connect themselves with the Mayflower and other famous colonials in the US ... or to identify where their ancestors came from in England ... leaves much to be desired !

Michael

Michael Report 16 Apr 2014 20:26

Thanks
My ancestors will be William Brewster's parents,grand parents or siblins has we are UK links.
My great grandfather Thomas Brewster was born in Westborough c1856 his father William c1828 and married Ann Isaac c1827 :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 16 Apr 2014 22:46

I didn't mean you of course Michael :-)

have you considered getting hold of the Nottingham bmd CDs of parish records to try to trace your ancestors further back? or asking for a look-up by someone who has them?

when you say Thomas was born 'c1856', you do have the exact year?

Births Jun 1857
Brewster Thomas Newark 7b 317

... I assume ... Newark covers Westborough ...

Scrooby is not next door but is not too far off

since you are a direct male-line Webster descendant, you could always consider YDNA testing!

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/brewster/default.aspx

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/brewster/default.aspx?section=ycolorized

several members of that project claim descent from the Mayflower Pilgrim

if their claim is valid then whether or not you matched closely with them would provide your answer

the YDNA-37 test would be sufficient for that purpose ... but you might get hooked and want more :-)