Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Henry Higgs 1892

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carrie-Ann Rose

Carrie-Ann Rose Report 15 Apr 2014 21:19

This man was my great grandfather I bear his name and I know literally nothing about him. It was said he was a bigamist and he left when my grandfather was just a young boy. That is why he was never talked of and so little is known but he left a great deal of Higgs grandchildren in his wake. We all live in Norfolk England which is where he met my Great Grandmother Dorothy Daisy Hardy and married her in 1922 in Hingham Norfolk. Before this date I know he fought in the Great War firstly in the North Staffordshire Regiment and then in the Inniskilling Fusiliers. As to where he was born or where he disappeared too is an absolute mystery that I have not managed to solve at all. The thought that he could of had another family and I may share this Great Grandad with others fascinates me and I would so dearly love anybody who may have any information to come forward it would be so greatly received. I started researching my family because I wanted to trace the family name as far back as I could but now I feel I will never get past this great family mystery of ours. If anybody has any clues or hints please get in touch.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Apr 2014 21:27

Hello Carrie-Ann, could you please edit your post to remove your email address as it's against board guidelines and someone may report it. This isn't a secure site.

If anyone wanted to contact you then they would do so by clicking on your name to send a personal message. However, when people are helping to find information they'll post it here on the thread.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Apr 2014 21:30

Your starting point should be to buy a copy of the marriage certificate to see what information it gives about his father - that should help trace his famiy.

England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005
Name: George H Higgs
Spouse : Dorothy D Hardy
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1922
Registration district: Forehoe
Inferred County: Norfolk
Volume Number: 4b
Page Number: 497

safc

safc Report 15 Apr 2014 21:31

do you have the marriage cert for his fathers name

Marriages Dec 1922 (>99%)
GARROD Bertram Parker Forehoe 4b 497
HARDY Dorothy D Higgs Forehoe 4b 497 xxxx
HIGGS George H Hardy Forehoe 4b 497 xxxx
Parker Kate Garrod Forehoe 4b 497

Carrie-Ann Rose

Carrie-Ann Rose Report 15 Apr 2014 21:36

Yes I have the marriage certificate all it tells me is his fathers name was William Higgs and he was a labourer it does not mention where he was born. It says George was living in Newhall York.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Apr 2014 21:39

Does it give an occupation for William? (Might help a trace on the census)

Also, have you searched other members trees on here to see if anyone else is researching the same family?

Carrie-Ann Rose

Carrie-Ann Rose Report 15 Apr 2014 21:45

The occupation was labourer for William, I couldn't quite make out the occupation for George it looks like railway s____t??? cant quite make it out. Such a tough period in time if you don't know when they where born because it's inbetween the recent history my family knows and the history recorded by the accessible census'.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Apr 2014 21:52

Just throwing out odd records I find, they may not be him:

UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956
Name: George Henry Higgs
Birth Date: 10 Apr 1891
Residence Date: Jul 1906
Station: Victoria
Company: Great Western
Description: Register of uniformed staff No.3 H 1887-1915

This lad was a vanguard
.........................................................................................................................

This one was a timber checker

UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956
Name: George Henry Higgs
Birth Date: 22 Feb 1894
Residence Date: 13 Feb 1913
Station: Swindon
Company: Great Western
Description: Station register of staff Vol.2 (Swindon) 1881-1938

Carrie-Ann Rose

Carrie-Ann Rose Report 15 Apr 2014 22:04

The first result is the more likely of the two as the second the birth is out by two years rather than 1. It's just so hard because I can never be sure for certain. I only got his regiments and numbers because I have a postcard album that belonged to my great grandmother and there are a handful of postcards from him to her. I have tried searching military records but can only find a medal record no registration or pension record unfortunately which would be more helpful with an address. I feel I have hit a brick wall and have done all I possibly can on my own I am not sure what step to take next as I would love nothing more than to know where my name originates from and if I have other long lost family out there.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 16 Apr 2014 05:34

If you have the MC, what age is listed for George, and who were the witnesses'?

Sometimes they can be family members that can help direct the search.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 16 Apr 2014 10:01

Presumably not this guy as his sister E J Thorne makes app for her late brother's medals 3.10.22

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 about George Higgs
Name: George Higgs
Regiment or Corps: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Regimental Number: 26807

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 16 Apr 2014 10:08

This one?

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

Name: George Higgs
Regiment or Corps: North Staffordshire Regiment, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Regimental Number: 50416, 43937

Carrie-Ann Rose

Carrie-Ann Rose Report 16 Apr 2014 12:07

Yes that's the same medal record I found for him with the correct regiment numbers it's how I found he was in the North Staffordshire Regiment before The Inniskillings. On the MC from 1922 he is 28 years old the witnesses are Arthur Taylor and a Hardy which would both be from my Great Grandmothers side.