Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help to find irish ancestors....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 15 Apr 2014 22:24

Could anyone help or give me information please on tracing people from ireland.....im trying to trace my great grandmother....all i have is her full name and that she comes from ireland....she married my great grandfather from england....their first child was also born in ireland....ive tried to find anything but to no avail, and now seeking help...

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 15 Apr 2014 22:34

Mary ...It all depends on where in Ireland you would be looking and what time frame...do you want to post her name ..where and when she was married where their child was born and what rel.see if we can get you started....

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Apr 2014 23:02

Irish censuses for 1901 and 1911 are free on line

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Some Irish BMD's are on familysearch

https://familysearch.org/

Mary

Mary Report 16 Apr 2014 01:12

Thank you eringobragh for your reply ...this is all the information i have, which is why i can not find her....

Ellen donelly....1865.....ireland
Married abel law...dont know where or when
Abel was born 1860 clavering, essex, england
First child...james william law 1887 .....ireland

I can find abel law on census in england up to 1871 then goes missing till 1891 where he appears again on census in england with ellen and james....

I have no idea how to look for ellen donelly.....i got her name from my grandfathers birth certificate....he was abel law 1893 from clavering in essex...

Just wondered if anyone could help me please

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 17 Apr 2014 01:20

It looks as though the family were in Ireland between 1871 and 1891 as James was born there. On the 1911 census Ellen is shown as a widow and there is a daughter, Annie, living with her who was born in 1891 in Ireland. I looked for the birth of an Annie Law in Ireland and could only find two. One was born in Ballymoney in 1889 and the other in Downpatrick in 1890. The birth certificate for Annie would show both parents and if they were the correct ones you would then know where Ellen possibly came from.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Mary Report 17 Apr 2014 01:54

Thank you yvonne for your reply...unfortunately the bit about "annie law" might not be correct.. Abel and ellen had annie marie in 1891 and as far as i know in clavering in essex ...there was also mary ann jane 1888...clavering.....abel 1893 ( my grandfather ) clavering....and walter william 1895....clavering....plus james william 1887 from ireland.....ive not been able to afford the birth certificates of them yet to prove if all is correct...

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 17 Apr 2014 02:30

The 1911 census shows Ellen as a widow, age 47, Annie, age 20, Abel age 18 and Walter age 15. Ellen and Annie were born in Ireland, Abel and Walter were born in Clavering. Annie could be Annie Marie and Abel and Walter definitely fit. Try phoning the Irish registry office, you might just get a friendly person that would check if you had the right one. I've had some success doing that but not always.