Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mulheron/cartherny

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

pat

pat Report 16 Apr 2014 21:16

Hi , I`m asking for help to find Margaret Mulheron whose married name is Mrs. W.M. Cartherny. She was married approx 1915-17 . She lived and worked in Saint John New Brunswick Canada and after WW1 she and her husband seem to have vanished from the earth . I have been to many web sites and there is no traceof the name"'cartherny " . Can any one shed a light on this name . Please --thank you

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 16 Apr 2014 21:42

Hello Pat.
Where and when was Margaret Mulheron born.
Have you found a marriage for her and her husband. Do you have any more information at all.
Thank you

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 16 Apr 2014 23:00

Possibly the surname was McCarthney or variants...

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 Apr 2014 12:59

Welcome to the Community Boards Pat.

Note: I'll let Pat know that she has replies to her query :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Apr 2014 13:05

Where was the marriage?

How do you relate to Margaret?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 Apr 2014 18:09

Hopefully Pat will be back here soon....she is struggling with the site a little. :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Apr 2014 17:11

Whooops! It appears the poster is Patric - not Patricia.

I understand you have also been trying to help him to get back here Reggie. I have advised him to respond on here so that he may receive further help. :-)

pat

pat Report 19 Apr 2014 18:08

to Reggie
Margaret was the sister of my grandfather Hugh who was killed in Tilloy France in 1918. While he was in France , her name changed on his documents as next of kin --from Margaret Mulheron to Mrs. W.M. Cartherny . I have no place or time of marriage . I do know however that W.M. Cartherny had an address of East Mountain Nova Scotia. Margaret was living in Saint John NewBrunswick at the time --a distance of approx.250 kms .
My best guess for marriage date is 1916-1917

pat

pat Report 19 Apr 2014 18:11

many thanks to all who are trying to help me --very kind of you

pat

pat Report 19 Apr 2014 18:17

On my grandfathers documents the name "Cartherny" is both hand-written and typed -so that is the name I`ve been researching . Is McCarthney a more common name because I`ve checked with many agencies and no one has ever found a "Cartherny " any place on the globe . I`ve suspected the spelling may have been wrong but I am relying on the WW1 documents . Could be that they are wrong .

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 19 Apr 2014 18:40

Pat...I cannot find a Hugh Mulheron KIA 1918.....?? Do you know when Margaret/Hugh went to Canada or were they born there...?

pat

pat Report 19 Apr 2014 19:12

Hugh joined the Princess Patricia`s Canadian Light Infantry and was killed in Tilloy France on Sep 28 1918. He is buried at Crest Cemetry in France near Fontaine Notre Dame.
Both Hugh and Margaret were born in Glasgow .I believe that Hugh came to Canada on1908 and landed in Montreal Quebec and travelled to New Brunswick. Margaret arrived before Hugh in 1906 aboard the Sicilian with a group from Glasgow and proceded to New Brunswick. He was a baker and she was a domestic . Hugh enlisted in Sussex N.B.

pat

pat Report 19 Apr 2014 19:17

my final aim is to find Margarets family if any --children or whatever and hope to find out about my grandfather from them ..my mother is Hughs daughter and she never knew / saw him . Knows almost nothing about him . She is 97 now and is well . I would love to give her any information that I can about him

pat

pat Report 19 Apr 2014 21:05

big mistake on my part --I must apoligize --the name should be James Mulheron --Hugh was his father--I`ve seen the name Hugh Mulheron so many times in this quest that its just second nature to me --sorry again -hope I didn`t waste too much of peoples time and efforts

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Apr 2014 21:25

MULHERON, JAMES

Service No: 817511
Date of Death: 28/09/1918
Regiment/Service: Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regiment)
Grave Reference B. 6.
Cemetery CREST CEMETERY, FONTAINE-NOTRE DAME

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Apr 2014 21:44

Pat,

Have you checked other member's trees on this site? There are many with the name Mulheron in them and a few have a James.

However, you have James down as being born in 1889 but, checking on the Scotland's people website, there wasn't such a birth in 1889.

It may be worth checking with the other members on here and also looking at Scotland's People for clarification.

1. 1885 MULHERON JAMES HUTCHESONTOWN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

2 1885 MULHERON JAMES HOLYTOWN /LANARK

3 1886 MULHERON JAMES BLYTHSWOOD GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

4 1890 MULHERON JAMES ST ANDREW (DUNDEE) DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS

5 1893 MULHERON JAMES DENNISTOUN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

6 1895 MULHERON JAMES LINWOOD RENFREW

7 1895 MULHERON JAMES LINWOOD RENFREW

8 1892 MULHERON JOHN JAMES KINNING PARK GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

pat

pat Report 19 Apr 2014 22:53

Hi Cynthia , the military info you found is correct . Years ago(2004) I hired a firm called 'British Ancestors " to find what info they could and they found quite a bit actually going back further than James birth . What they told me about James was he was born on June 21st 1889 at 7a.m. at Fordneuk Street Glasgow and his sister Margaret was born on 15 May 1891 at Camlachie Glasgow .Over the years I managed to contact his relatives still living in Glasgow but they were unable to shed any light on the Cartherny name nor do they know what happened to Margaret . She not only disappeared in North America but in Europe also . But I will check out the names you`ve provided as you never know where the missing answer will come from .
I was just checking my papers again before I send this note and I forgot to add a detail that again was almost gone from my memory ----that is at the time of James birth the whole family spelled their name "Mulhern " and changed the spelling at some point in time for whatever reason I don`t know. But I was told that some people changed the spelling of their names when they came to North America . I have so many papers in front of me regarding this family me that its easy to confuse details that I haven`t seen for a few years (10) Thanks again -Pat

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Apr 2014 09:34

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
First Name MARGARET
Last Name MULHERN
Relationship DAUGHTER
Condition -
Gender Female
Age 10
Year Of Birth 1891
Occupation SCHOLAR
Birth Town GLASGOW
Birth County LANARKSHIRE
Birth Place SCOTLAND
Street -
Town -
Parish GLASGOW
City -
Country SCOTLAND
County Lanarkshire
Vessel Name -
Municipal Ward -
Registration District BRIDGETON
Archive Reference RG13

Other Household Members
First Name Last Name Relationship Age Year Of Birth Birth Town
CATRINE MULHERN DAUGHTER 2 1899 GLASGOW Transcription
HUGH MULHERN HEAD 49 1852 GLASGOW Transcription
JAMES MULHERN SON 12 1889 GLASGOW Transcription
MARY ANN MULHERN WIFE 44 1857 GLASGOW Transcription
WILLIAM MULHERN SON 8 1893 GLASGOW

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Apr 2014 09:41

Name: James Mulheron
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: May 1908
Event Place: Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Birth Year (Estimated): 1889
Birthplace: Scotland
Ship Name: Cassandra
Affiliate Publication Number:
Affiliate Film Number: T-493
Digital Folder Number: 004542390
Image Number: 00421
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Maggie Mulheron
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: Sep 1906
Event Place: Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Birth Year (Estimated): 1891
Birthplace: Scotland
Ship Name: Sicilian
Affiliate Publication Number:
Affiliate Film Number: T-488
Digital Folder Number: 004542302
Image Number: 00650

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Apr 2014 10:01

My word, it gets complicated with all the changes in spelling!

1 1886 MULHERN JAMES MARYHILL GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

2 1889 MULHERN JAMES CAMLACHIE GLASGOW CITY/LANARK ***

3 1890 MULHERN JAMES MILTON GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

*** Mother is Mary Ann Mulhern (nee Connor?)