Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help to find where John Gray and family came from

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 20 Apr 2014 12:08

I have a Thomas Gray who married my grand aunt Annie Wotherspoon at Lochore in Fife on 15/05/1928. I have their marriage certificate which gives his father as a John Gray, however I cannot make out who his mother is, it looks like Jane is her christian name - it does not help that my eyesight is very poor.

Both Thomas & Annie were living in Lochore at the time of their marriage and I have have found a Thomas Gray with a father John on the 1911 Census for Scotland living in Lochore with his family, this is the family, I have calculated the birth years from the ages given on the census:-

John Gray Head 1872
Elizabeth Wife 1874
William Son 1894
Robert Son 1902

Thomas Son1904<<<<<<

John Son 1908

My dilemma is that, on the 1911 Census for Scotland, apart from the fact they are all shown as born in England, no town or county given, Thomas's mother has the christian name of Elizabeth, so I am not sure this is the right family, albeit it is the only family with a Thomas whose fathers name is John living in Lochore at the time of the 1911 census, if this is the correct family I am having problems tracing the family prior to 1911, John the head of the family was a coal miner/hewer.

Can anyone assist me with this dilemma please

Thanks

Jim :-S

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 20 Apr 2014 12:32

Did you get the marriage certificate from ScotlandsPeople?
If you email them with all the details of the certificate and say that a name is illegible, they will check the registers and tell you what it says.
This happened to me not long ago, they were very quick and helpful.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 20 Apr 2014 12:51

Thanks BeverleyW - have already done that and while I wait for their response I thought I would post on here.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Apr 2014 12:54

I've had a look at it, Jim.

It does look like Jane, and her ms appears to be Gray, too, or possibly George.

I can't see any likely marriages for John and Jane (1890-94) on either SP or FreeBMD.

So far, I can't see any likely family composed of John, Elizabeth, and William in 1901, anywhere in UK. In any case, I suspect they're a red herring.
There's no way of knowing when Thomas went to work in Fife, or whether he'd always lived there.
He doesn't appear to have been born in Fife; there were 40 births of that name in Scotland as a whole 1902-4; and umpteen in England/Wales.

There are various families in 1901 composed of a John and a Jane, but too many to choose from.

Sorry - not a lot of help!

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 20 Apr 2014 13:34

ArgyllGran - thanks for that information, as I said in an earlier post I have asked SP to assist in deciphering the maiden name of Thomas's mother, that may assist in narrowing the field.

A bit of a coincidence that their is a family of Gray's with a Thomas that fits living in the Lochore area where Annie Wotherspoon's family moved to from South Lanarkshire.

I have looked on SP for a marriage for John and Jane, likewise I have looked for their death certificates, unfortunately their are too many to select from, after the number of credits I have used on today's exercise - it will be pension day at the end of the month before I venture back on SP :-(

Not all a waste of time as I found these two children albeit no image is available, and I believe they are the children of Thomas and Annie:-

Birth - 1929 GRAY MARY WOTHERSPOON F LOCHORE /FIFE 408/01 0084

Birth - 1933 GRAY ALLAN WOTHERSPOON M LOCHORE /FIFE 408/00 0002