Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How would I find out about immigrants

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 6 Jul 2014 16:03

into Australia after 1925. I am helping someone with their tree and they have the idea that this person came to the Melbourne area. He could possibly be travelling as Joseph Corby or Joseph Shepherd, possibly with a wife and children. I have found a marriage fior a Joseph Corby to a Mabel Foster, that marriage producing 3 children, Joseph, Sidney and John. How would I go about locating information to help determine whether Joseph did or did not enter Australia ? Thanks.

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Jul 2014 16:15

UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960
PASSENGER LISTSView Image
NAME: Joseph Corby
BIRTH: abt 1894
DEPARTURE: 25 Feb 1926 - London, England
DESTINATION: Sydney, Australia
NAME: Mrs Mabel Corby
BIRTH: abt 1897
NAME: Joseph Corby
BIRTH: abt 1922
NAME: Sidney Foster Corby
BIRTH: abt 1924

Dea

Dea Report 6 Jul 2014 16:22

His address on the passenger list was:

3 Second Row, Choppington Colliery, Northumberland and his occupation was as a miner.

Dea x

Margaret

Margaret Report 6 Jul 2014 16:28

Thank you both so very much. You really have solved a mystery for us. Many many thanks.

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Jul 2014 16:30

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 about John Corby
Name: John Corby
Birth Date: abt 1925
Date of Registration: Jun 1925
Age at Death: 0
Registration district: Morpeth
Inferred County: Northumberland
Volume: 10b
Page: 498

Margaret

Margaret Report 6 Jul 2014 16:33

Thank you Thelma - I noticed the chld John wasn't with them and was just about to try and find a death but you beat me to it. Thanks again.

Gai

Gai Report 7 Jul 2014 12:19

In the 1949 Electoral rolls Joseph (Labourer), Mabel (Home duties) and Sidney (labourer) were living in Napier Street Balgownie in New South Wales

They were in the same address in 1954 but in 1958 Sidney looks like he had married and was living with Valerie at 52 Evans Street working as a rigger

In 1980 Sidney was listed by himself near Wollongong

Gai

Gai Report 7 Jul 2014 12:34

Sidney's married in 1957

21191/1957 CORBY SIDNEY FOSTER

O'LOUGHLIN VALERIE MARGARET

District. WOLLONGONG

Gai

Gai Report 7 Jul 2014 12:42

On the Ryerson Index there is a death for Sidney.

CORBY Sidney Foster (Sid)
18MAR1995 Death 72 late of St Lukes Village Dapto, formerly of Gwynneville and Balgownie

The notice was published in the Illawarra Mercury on the 20th March 1995

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Jul 2014 14:30

Gai - thank you so very much. I have been offline for a while and have only just seen this. Much appreciated. Is the Joseph on the 1949 Joseph the father or Joseph the son ? Not to worry I now have an idea where they were.

Gai

Gai Report 8 Jul 2014 11:01

HI Margaret,

I would believe the Joseph in the 1949 census is the father not the son.

I've checked the 1958 Electoral Rolls and Mabel is still living in Napier Street with no Joseph.

On NSW BDM there is a death registered for a Joseph Corby

7461/1952
CORBY JOSEPH
Father: JOHN
Mother : MARY JANE
District: WOLLONGONG

I was just looking on Trove for Joseph's death notice when I found this Engagement notice for their daughter

South Coast and Wollongong Argus Thursday 18 December 1952
DARLING – CORBY
The engagement is announced of Ian, the eldest son
of Mr and Mrs T Darling, of 370 Main Road Corrimal to
Ivy only daughter of Mrs Corby and the late Mr J Corby of
Napier Street, Balgownie.

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Jul 2014 12:03

Gai - how wonderful to receive this extra information - are you in Australia or do you just have access to Australian records. ? I hate to ask but I wonder if you could help me with one more thing. As you are probably aware Joseph Corby had three brothers. Richard emigrated to Australia in 1923, Joseph in 1926 and I have since discovered that a third Norman lived at some point in Melbourne. The problem here is that I suspect that there was probably some family falling out and Norman took on (in adulthood) his mother's surname Shepherd - with an e. He was certainly still Corby and in the UK when he married a Violet Shrimplin in 1932 and had a daughter Norma in 1933. When he travelled to Australia and under what name I have no idea, or whether he changed his surname after arrival in Australia is a mystery. Have you access to any records which would give us the answer ? Many thanks for your help so far, it has been invaluable.

Gai

Gai Report 9 Jul 2014 12:22

Hi Margaret,

Yes I am in Australia and besides the Electoral Rolls which are available on Ancestry the information from NSW BDM and Trove is available on the internet.

Here is the link to the newspapers on Trove http://trove.nla.gov.au and if you select the Digitalise newspapers then you can enter a name to search. Beware you can spend hours reading articles.

I've had a quick look for Norman and family and haven't found them here is OZ. I will have to have a better look later in the week when I have more time. Maybe another member who reads this post may have more time to help.

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 Jul 2014 08:32

Thank you Gai for replying and for the link you have given me. I will have a look and see if I can find anything relating to a Norman Shepherd/Corby probably around the late 1930's as his daughter Norma was born in UK in 1933 regd. as Corby. Many thanks for your help.

Gai

Gai Report 12 Jul 2014 08:56

Hi Margaret,
I've searched the passenger lists and the Electoral Rolls today and can't find where a Norman Shepherd/Corby arrived here in Australia.

Did you have any luck on the Trove link?

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Jul 2014 18:09

I am still ploughing my way through the Trove site. It is a mystery isn't it ? In the Corby family , of the three boys Richard was the eldest followed by Joseph 5 yrs later then Norman two years after that. Richard came to Australia in ? ahead of wife Mary & baby son who followed in 1923. Joseph then came in 1926 and there it comes to a stop. Apparently, from a descendant of Richard (his grand-daughter) I am told that Richard asked younger brother Norman for a bit of financial help (this was during the 'depression') and Norman apparently refused !! As Norman & family were still in Uk in 1933 I was expecting to find Norman travelling sometime between 1933 and 1938-ish. Where he travelled to I have no idea but his grand-daughter tells me he lived in Melbourne - I don't know when. What with not being able to find Richard on board ship and Norman not showing up anywhere, all I can say is these Corby boys are experts at disappearing !!! Thank you for trying to help.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 25 Jul 2014 05:08

Hi Margaret

I saw your post on my lookups thread but thought I would reply here to keep everything together since Gai was kind enough to provide the link :-)

Here is his death notice from NLA Trove - confirms he had a brother in Abermain:
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate, Thursday 31 January 1952
DEATH
CORBY.-Passed away at Wollongong Disttict Hospital, Joseph Corby, January 22, 1952, beloved husband of Mabel Corby and father of Sydney and Ivy, Balgownie and brother of R. Corby, Abermaln. Buried Wollongong C. of E, Cemetery, January 23, 1952.

A Mabel CORBY died in 1968 in NSW, daughter of Hy Lewis & Eliza Jane (surnames not given). Reg number is 38433.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 25 Jul 2014 05:11

There is a Richard Wingrove CORBY who died in NSW in 1964, son of John & Jane??? (reg 28858). Not sure if that is a family name (his middle name).

Not sure if this is him mentioned in the newspaper in 1944:
PRIVATE DICK CORBY, of the 2/1 Battalion A.I.F., is on extended leave at Abermain.

Aha here we go - both father and son served in WWII!
CORBY RICHARD WINGROVE : Service Number - N102068 : Date of birth - 18 Aug 1889 : Place of birth - NEWCASTLE ENGLAND : Place of enlistment - CESSNOCK NSW : Next of Kin - CORBY MARY

CORBY RICHARD WINGROVE : Service Number - NX129202 : Date of birth - 19 Feb 1922 : Place of birth - NEWCASTLE ENGLAND : Place of enlistment - SUTHERLAND NSW : Next of Kin - CORBY RICHARD

Headstone photo at Kurri Kurri - http://austcemindex.com/inscription.php?id=9346997