Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Dunne Mary Foley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2014 22:45

I've completely come to a standstill, am trying to find either the births, deaths or the marriage of the above.
He was born around 1869 in Dublin,she was born around the same time, maybe a year or two earlier. They were living in Tralee, Kerry in 1901 and 1911, where my grandfather Kevin Patrick was born, but they had four children before him, who according to the census returns were born in England.
I don't know where or when they married,or where they lived whilst in the UK...???
There are so many Dunne's and Foley's, it's a bit like the proverbial needle in the haystack.....

patchem

patchem Report 1 Sep 2014 23:05

Welcome to the boards, Wendy.

Could you post the 1901 census, please, so we can try and find them in England?

Thank-you

Added:
This one?
Residents of a house 2 in Chapel Lane (Tralee Urban, Kerry)
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Dunne Mary 1 Female Daughter Roman Catholic County Kerry - Cannot read - Not Married -
Dunne Annie 6 Female Daughter Roman Catholic England Scholar Can read - Not Married -
Dunne John 32 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Dublin City Cycle Mechanic Read and write - Married -
Dunne Kevin Male Son Roman Catholic County Kerry - Cannot read - Not Married -
Dunne James 8 Male Son Roman Catholic England Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Dunne George 3 Male Son Roman Catholic England - Cannot read - Not Married -
Dunne John 4 Male Son Roman Catholic England Scholar Cannot read or write - Not Married -
Dunne Mary 32 Female Wife Roman Catholic County Wicklow - Read and write

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Sep 2014 00:13

And 1911??

Residents of a house 1 in Russell Street (Tralee Urban (part of), Kerry)
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Dunne John 43 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Dublin Cycle Mechanic Read and write - Married - - - -
Dunne Mary 45 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Wicklow - Read and write - Married - 21 8 8
Dunne Annie 16 Female Daughter Roman Catholic England Dressmaker Read and write - Single - - - -
Dunne John 14 Male Son Roman Catholic England Cycle Mechanic Read and write - Single - - - -
Dunne Mary 12 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Kerry Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Dunne Kevin 10 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Kerry Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Dunne Francis 8 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Kerry Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Dunne Joseph 4 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Kerry -

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Sep 2014 00:55

Don't know if this is son George or not - per FreeBMD it's the only George Dunne birth in England 1897-9 with that spelling of the surname:

Births Sep 1897 (>99%)
Dunne George Edward Wigan 8c 70

patchem

patchem Report 2 Sep 2014 06:58

These are the ones born in England:

Dunne Annie 6 (1894/1895)
Dunne James 8 (1892/1893)
Dunne George 3 (1897/1898)
Dunne John 4 (1896/1897)

There are births in Haslingden and West Derby for some of the siblings, but no obvious marriage showing.

If the birth surname is Dunn, then many more available.

They could have had more children born before James, as about 24 at his birth.

Or could have been married to others, previously

Potty

Potty Report 2 Sep 2014 11:35

Looks like the birth ArgyllGran posted could be correct - from Lancashirebmd:

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1897

SurnameForename(s)Sub-DistrictRegisters AtMother's Maiden NameReference

DUNNE George Edward Wigan Wigan & Leigh FOLEY WIG/208/53

Potty

Potty Report 2 Sep 2014 11:38

No other births on Lancsbmd with MMN Foley, but it isn't listed for most districts.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 2 Sep 2014 13:34

I'll let Wendy know how to find her replies......

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Sep 2014 13:51

Area - KERRY (RC) , Parish/Church/Congregation - TRALEE

Baptism of MARY BRIDGET DUNNE of ROCK STREET on 25 June 1899

Year Rangee.g. 1900-2013
-

More search options
Name MARY BRIDGET DUNNE
Date of Birth 24 June 1899
Address ROCK STREET
Father JOHN DUNNE
Mother MARY FOLEY
Further details in the record
Father Occupation NR
Sponsor 1 WILLIAM PARKER
Sponsor 2 SARA JOANNA PARKER
Priest REV. T. GRIFFIN
About the record
Book Number Page Entry Number Record_Identifier
B 15 125 KY-RC-BA-495594

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 2 Sep 2014 19:32

Name: Mary Foley
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1891
Registration district: Dublin South
Volume: 2
Page Number: 586
FHL Film Number: 101256
Records on Page:
Name
Bridget Lynch
John Skelly
Aaron John Dunne <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Thomas M'Nulty
Mary Boylan
Mary Foley

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2014 21:23

Thanks for your input guys.......much appreciated..........!!
Those were the census returns I have, information on the births in England is really useful, funnily enough I'd jotted those down whilst researching some time ago, and had forgotten about them,probably because I'd been told the family were always based in Hampshire....
This just reminds me, you should'nt trust family whispers until you've seen it in black and white. :)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 2 Sep 2014 22:17

Do you think that I'd a possibility for their marriage please? Not see a possible birth for an Aaron John Flanagan though. Perhaps a birth for one of the children would give his full name?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Sep 2014 23:28

Did you notice that George is "Boarding" with John Gearey 9.5Russell st. on 1911 Census...James doesn't appear to be in Ireland..
The 1911 census shows John and Mary married 21 years 8 children and 8 still living...

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 2 Sep 2014 23:36

Well found Eringobragh! I had a wee look but wasn't spotting George in 1911.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Sep 2014 20:46

Definately well spotted about George....
Rootgatherer, I think it is the marriage, cant find any more with those names..... Thanks for that.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2014 20:43

just an update...... I'm not sure now that Aaron John Dunne is the one,
I obtained the marriage certificate of him and Mary Foley and his father is Gideon, then went back through the census returns, only to find that Aaron John was born in Staffordshire.....
Back to the drawing board,but thanks for your help guys.