Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frankinson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 15 Sep 2014 10:43

Is there any Frankinson researching this surname who has an ancestor that was female, lived in the (South?) London area in the 1880/1900's and was possibly an stage artiste or music hall entertainer/singer who used the first name 'Lola'?
If this matches your ancestor, if you would like to contact me I may have some detail of interest to you.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Sep 2014 10:49

The chances are slim of someone researching the same person seeing your post.

Try using the search trees facility to see if another member is researching that surname. If so you can contact the tree owner.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Sep 2014 11:02

This is a rather confusing census in 1911. The occupation is actually Artiste and there are other Artistes there. Boarder isn't the surname but I think the relationship to the head of the house. There's actually 5 people in the household, all born abroad.

Name: Lola Boarder
[Lola Boarders]
Age in 1911: 20
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Relation to Head: Daughter
Civil Parish: St Martin in the Fields
County/Island: London
Street address: 11 Upper St, Martins Lane W C
Marital Status: Single
Registration district: Strand
Registration District Number: 13
Sub-registration district: Strand
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Piece: 1190
Household Members:
Name Age
Pinsite Boarders 60
Lola Boarder 20
Heinrich Boarder 28

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Sep 2014 22:34

Frankinson isn't a surname known in England/Wales per the GRO index / freebmd

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

your question could be fun to investigate to look for connections for you if you gave some actual details/info :-)

the name of the 'Boarders' in 1911 looks something like Pirisili ... they are Italian-born, a widowed mother with daughter Lola 20 and son Heinrich 28 (not a very Italian name) and another artiste in the boarding house (owned by Belgian Marie Reinisch) identified as Hansens, Brother (of whom?) also Italian-born

safc

safc Report 15 Sep 2014 23:22

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
11 Upper St Martins Lane W C, St Martin in the Fields, London, England
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship to household head Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
Marie Reinisch Wife Separated Female 54 1857 Anvers Belgium Boarding House Keeper
Transcription
Pinsiti Boarders Mother Widow Female 60 1851 Resident London Private
Transcription
Spola Pinsichi Boarders Daughter Single Female 20 1891 - Artists
Transcription
Heinrich Prisite Boarders Son Single Male 28 1883 - Artists
Transcription
Tense Guitard Wife Widow Female 60 1851 - Private
Transcription
Hansens Brother - Single Male 24 1887 - Artists

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Sep 2014 23:55

yes and most of that transcription is plain wrong ...

for instance 'Tense Guitard' or 'Venne Guitard' as Ancestry puts it
is really 'Veuve Guitard' or the old fashioned respectful way of referring to a widowed woman in French: 'Widow Guitard'

and 'Artists' is a mistranscription of 'Artiste' which means performer

all of the rest of it is complete nonsense
as rootgatherer said when she first posted it, 'Boarders' is obviously the description of the people, not their name, ditto for 'Brother' ...
and 'Pinsiti', 'Pinsichi' and 'Prisite' are all misreadings of the same name
... but what that is ... anybody want to guess ??

not to mention 'Spola' !

but it does help to know how to find it at another site :-)

Michael

Michael Report 16 Sep 2014 13:23

Thank for all the comments. I found only one Frankinson in the london area on BMD, It was a male person in the 1851 census which did not help. I note that the surname Frankinson is associated with Lancashire (mainly coal miners) and apparently nowhere else.
Interestingly, the listing of 'Spola - Pinsiti, Pinsichi and Prisite' or whatever the surname actually was and the Italian connection, also this female persons age in 1891of 20yrs coupled with the occupation of artiste seems to point to a possible 'hit'.
Now, just perhaps, a hypothesis; A female artiste of foreign birth would try to appeal to employers/audience by adopting a more British 'stage name' and one that would be memorbable? So, maybe she changed it to Lola Frankinson for the stage. The italian connection is that I have inherited from my grandfather, (an Italian shoemaker who had his own business in the woolwich area) a lovely photograph of this lady (who certainly looks the age of 20) in what appears to be her stage costume which is signed by her in ink ' best wishes Lola Frankinson', I suppose much in the style of a promotional thing/autograph. She is depicted in the photo as wearing thigh length patent leather boots, which I suspect is the connection with my grandfather, who was a master shoemaker as well as doing general shoe repairs. It could well be that he had made or repaired these stage costume boots for her. I have no family connection with the Frankinsons, if what I have suggested is true, there would have been a natural affinity between my grandfather and Lola, both being of Italian birth - Maybe!