Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mariya

Mariya Report 6 Oct 2014 21:16

Hello there!
Just wanted to ask, I am researching my Grandmother. Do you know any good websites ( without subscription) that would tell me the marriage records and also the married couple's children? I don't know who my Grandmother's mother was and I would like to find out before the 1921 census comes out (that's really what I need, that census. Dam!)
Ah well. Many thanks,
Mariya :-D

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 Oct 2014 21:19

Try freebmd for you grandmother's birth and marriage

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2014 21:29

If you would like to give us your grandmother's name and where she came from we could look for you.

Kath. x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Oct 2014 21:31

also the free Mormon website - www.familysearch.org

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Oct 2014 22:33

freebmd is by far the best..........assuming of course that you mean England or Wales. You haven't said where the woman was born

It's an easy site to use, and I, for one, wouldn't want to deprive you of the pleasure derived from finding info for yourself

Mariya

Mariya Report 11 Feb 2015 20:19

Thank you all ever so much for all your replies. It has been a great help!
Cheers, Mariya :-D

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 12 Feb 2015 01:35

just to help you along a bit, if you know approximately where and when your grandmother was born, you will find her birth at Freebmd

if it was in 1911 or later, it will give you her mother's surname on the record there

you can then look for a marriage before that date between the two surnames ... if they are Smith and Jones you may be out of luck, but if they were less common you may be able to find a candidate around the right time and place

but the fact is that any result will only be a guess, and only your grandmother's birth certificate will give you the answer for sure

you can order it here with the details from the index at Freebmd

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

and it is not a fortune :-) £9.25

and I agree -- doing it yourself is 90% of the fun!