Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 18 Oct 2014 15:05

When a child first starts school in 1890 Lancashire would the Parents have to provide a Birth Certificate for proof of age Thanks Pam

jax

jax Report 18 Oct 2014 15:55

I doubt it.... Although it was compulsory to register births, I don't think they needed to show birth certs for anything

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Oct 2014 16:03

I wouldn't have thought so either.

Kath. x

Dea

Dea Report 18 Oct 2014 16:09

I agree with Jax and Kath,

May I ask why you are asking this - is there something else you need to find re this person that we may be able to help you with ?

Dea x

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Oct 2014 20:03

My husband had to provide a birth cert. to start school but it was during WW2.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Oct 2014 01:38

I don't think my parents had to provide a birth certificate for me ............... in Lancashire, during WW2

I guess it depends what type of school, and where.

Was he Lancashire born or bred, or had they moved to the area?

Pamela

Pamela Report 19 Oct 2014 09:56

thanks for replies already have info about the person Kind Regards Pam

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Oct 2014 10:15

It might depend on the School Board.

An undated cover for a School Report Book has survived for one of my London Ancestors with a note that the dob is as declared by the parents.

Although the birth was before compulsary registration, he had been baptised. He was rebaptised at about the time he started at that school in the late 1870s early 1880s. It is as if having lost the original bap cert, they needed some sort of documentation. It wasn't a school with religious affiliations.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Oct 2014 12:42

I started school in 57/8, no birth certificate required then.

I would imagine that unless the child was truly tiny, no proof would be required at any time, unless it was policy for either that local authority or school.

Needing to prove who you are is really only a more common occurance.

Pamela

Pamela Report 27 Oct 2014 09:27

thanks to all replies my enquiry was to open up a new lead on an old thread coming from a different angle but I don't think that will be possible now regarding birth certificates I would be very interested to link with someone from the Lincolnshire area that maybe has lots local knowledge to help with my older brick wall thread Kind Regard Pam

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Oct 2014 21:59

I have in front of me a certified copy of a birth certificate ( 1920 birth in Bermondsey)

It states that it is supplied at the special fee of 6d and is issued.......

' for the purpose of elementary education and for no other use or purpose whatever'

Gwyn