Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death of Walter Edward Day - Help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 25 Oct 2014 19:15

Hello. I have just received the birth certificate of my Great Grandfather Walter Edward Day born 16 October 1882 at 2 Burchell Road, Leyton, Essex. Am desperately trying to find his death. I have standard subs for Ancestry but have had no luck. I have his marriage but there is some mystery surrounding Walter as to how long he was actually married. He had two children, the second being born in 1905.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Kathryn

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Oct 2014 20:37

Have you ruled out the possible death in 1967 in Bournemouth

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 25 Oct 2014 20:49

Hi, no I haven't. It may well be I'll have to send off for several death certs to find him but thought I'd put the feelers out first. Thanks for your reply.

Regards

Kathryn

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 Oct 2014 22:28

I assume it's your tree on Ancestry that has his wife re-marrying in 1944? Wondering what she put on cert - widowed or divorced maybe?
Jan

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Oct 2014 23:17

The Bournemouth death does look the most likely one.

Kath. x

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Oct 2014 07:44

Hi, Marie states she is a widow when she marries Charles. Interestingly when Walter's daughter Marie Helene marries in1924 she gives her father as being deceased but for some bizarre reason gives his name as Robert Day. This one is a mystery. If you look at the 1911 Census for Marie Helene Day she is a visitor but above her name are Walter and Adele Frost. Adele is given as being born in Kent which is where Walter's wife, Marie was born. If you look for a Walter Edward Day in the 1911 Census if ut is him he comes up as being a boarder, single, living in Letchworth, Hertfordshire, this, is, if he is my Walter.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Kathryn

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Oct 2014 10:50

Is this his marriage?

Marriages Dec 1901 (>99%)

DAY Walter Edward Islington 1b 732
NOEL Marie Isabelle A Islington 1b 732

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Oct 2014 10:56

Births Mar 1885 (>99%)
Noel Marie Isabel A Elham 2a 1071

Where is she in 1911?

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Oct 2014 11:36

Hi, as my previous post I personally think the Adele Frost and Walter Frost in the 1911 Census with the daughter Marie Day showing as a visitor are Walter and Marie his wife. Not sure why they would give an alias but who knows. But then also there is a Walter Edward Day in the 1911 Census living as single in Letchworth who may well be my great grandfather. I did say this one is a mystery. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Oct 2014 11:38

Sorry I should have said yes that is their marriage.

Kathryn

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Oct 2014 11:43

On the image of that 1911, Walter and Adele say they have been married for four years, and have NO children

If the child had been theirs, she would surely have been recorded as a boarder, not as a visitor

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Oct 2014 11:48

I am inclined to think that the "single" Walter Edward Day in the 1911 census is yours.
He says he is born in Leyton which is correct and the other Walter Frost says born in Tottenham.

When couples split up at that time they often just said they were single because divorce was almost impossible for an ordinary working couple to get.

EDIT - On the other hand Marie Isabel A. Noel may have been using her third forename and that could be Adele which confuses the issue even more. Do you have Marie's birth certificate from 1885? That should give her full name and you would then know whether her third forename was Adele.

Have you tried looking for a death under the name Walter Frost just in case he is "your" Walter and carried on using the Frost surname?

Kath. x

Dea

Dea Report 26 Oct 2014 12:37

The birth cert shown mother as Marie Adele Day (formerly Noel)

Dea x

Mary

Mary Report 26 Oct 2014 13:38

Marie Isabelle Adele Noel 1885 Folkestone.
had WALTER (not Vincent) Robert Alfred Day in Woolwich 1902.

Her dad Alfred Noel born France 1861 died 1917.
1911 Paddington
Alfred Noel policeman age 49 Boulogne France.
Mary born Durham
Alfred Noel 11
Walter G/Son born Woolwich age 8 = 1902.

Maryb.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Oct 2014 14:40

Hi all. Will have to come back to this thread tomorrow. Just had a phone call to say an old friend has died. Not in the right mind frame now for messaging. I do appreciate all your time and help and hope that you will continue to assist if possible. Will continue totomorrow evening. Hope you all understand.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Gee

Gee Report 26 Oct 2014 15:20

Looks like Marie married again

Marriages Jun 1944

DAY Marie I A Schofield Paddington 1a 86
SCHOFIELD Charles Day Paddington 1a 86

-------------------------------------

Possible death for her

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007

Name:Marie A Schofield

Birth Date:abt 1885

Date of Registration:Mar 1968

Age at Death:83

Registration district:Hampstead

Inferred County:Greater London

Volume:5b

Page:879

Sorry to hear about your sad news

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 27 Oct 2014 18:47

Hiya, back tonight. Thanks Gins, I feel more myself tonight just not looking forward to the funeral but of course it's worse for the family. Now, someone has said about Vincent Day that his name is Walter. I got the name from when he married Kathleen Challis. He shows as being Vincent Robert Alfred Day but thinking about it people used to name their children after the father or mother. Not sure then why he used the name Vincent as opposed to Walter. I don't have his birth cert so can't clarify the same. This family is sure a mystery. As before Marie my great grandmother stated that she was a widow when she married Charles in 1944 but moreover when their daughter Marie Helene married my grandfather Edward in 1924 she states her father being Robert Day deceased but obviously her father was my great grandfather Walter. Where's Sherlock Holmes when you need him. Lol

Regards

Kathryn

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 27 Oct 2014 21:36

Name: Vincent R A Day
Spouse Surname: Challis
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1921
Registration district: Paddington
Inferred County: London
Volume Number: 1a
Page Number: 169

No birth showing for Vincent only the one Mary B has posted