Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Arthur in the RAF died in Germany

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 26 Oct 2014 18:38

A very long shot....... has anybody in their tree an Arthur who was probably in the RAF in Germany in about 1947? He was killed in a car crash, again probably in Germany.

Thank you

Lynne

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Oct 2014 18:54

is Arthur the forename or the surname? use the "Search" facility top right hand corner of this page to see if there are connections on this site - however, you would need both names, a location for birth and approximate relevant dates

Lynne

Lynne Report 29 Oct 2014 14:46

No idea of the surname.
All we know is that a close relation was working in Germany in about 1947; her fiancee was called Arthur and he was killed in a car crash. She never married but after her death a set of RAF wings was found which led us to believe that Arthur may have been in the RAF.

Just thought it might ring a bell with somebody.

Thank you.

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Oct 2014 15:45

Several entries in Ancestry trees but how would you would find the right one?

EG

grace Family Tree

Public Member Tree
1 source
Arthur Lowrey

Birth: 1922
Death: 29 March 1946 (29 Mar 1946) - Munster, Germany
F: John Lowrey

M: Elizabeth Ann Grace
sinclair Family Tree

Public Member Tree
Unsourced
Arthur Collier

Birth: 1921 - Kent, England
Death: Sep 1947 - Germany
F: Harry Collier

M: Elizabeth Brill
finchnew1

Public Member Tree
Unsourced
Harry Arthur Middleditch

Birth: 1925 - Suffolk, England
Death: 30 Nov 1946 - Hamburg

greyghost

greyghost Report 29 Oct 2014 16:21

Answers on both threads now
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1345988

Lynne

Lynne Report 1 Dec 2014 09:49

Just another post about Vera Owers Sutherland. She was a primary school teacher who had at least two headships that we know of. She is proving very difficult to locate anywhere. We know she was born in 1915, we then have her on the electoral roll in 1945. I was told she went to Durham University but they have no trace of her there.
We know she was teaching in Germany between 1947 and 1949 and possibly later.
She died in Scarborough in 2001 and had been Head of Bompton by Sawdon Primary School before she retired.
I would like to know where she did her teacher training and when she went to Germany to teach, what she did after leaving Germany etc. I am waiting on a couple of replies from Archives in the Durham area but as I live in Somerset I can't pop in myself.
If anybody has access to any of the above information I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Dec 2014 10:29

Have you contacted the other GR member with Vera in her tree?

You refer to Vera as a 'close' relative, so when did you have contact with her?

What about her twin siblings?

Have you researched them? And any descendants they may have had, who may have info to help you

Lynne

Lynne Report 1 Dec 2014 10:42

Sent a message to the other member but no response and the message hasn't been opened.
Didn't have any contact with her, for various personal reasons only found details in 2004.
Siblings emigrated, tried through a third party to contact their families without success. Initial info came from a GR member but had no contact since 2006. He also had problems contacting family.
Thanks for the suggestions. Think I might have to have a holiday up North and do some local checks.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Dec 2014 15:38

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1343207

Mavis

Mavis Report 2 Dec 2014 10:48

Just added a reply on your other thread about Vera

Mavis

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 3 Jun 2015 16:14

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1352397