Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sarah Callaway b 1816

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicky Simmons

Nicky Simmons Report 29 Oct 2014 12:56

Hello All, I'm wondering if anyone has information about Sarah Callaway (a different Sarah than my previous investigation) - this is Sarah Callaway born 1816 and who, in 1841 was living in "The Central Union Workhouse of the Thame Union" with, I presume, her 3 children also called Callaway - Charles (who went on to become a blacksmith and was the father of my great grandmother Sarah Ann Calloway), Elizabeth and Thomas John, who both died that year. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks. Nicky

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Oct 2014 12:58

What info do you hope for?

When Charles married, did he name anyone as his father?

Who registered the deaths of the children?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Oct 2014 13:05

To start us off

Name: Sarah Callaway
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1816
Where born: Oxfordshire, England
Civil Parish: Thame
Hundred: Thame
County/Island: Oxfordshire
Occupation, Servant

Charles age 6
Elizabeth age 4
Thomas John age 1

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Oct 2014 13:07

Thomas' BC should name his father (if known) and if Sarah was married, her maiden name

Name: Thomas John Callaway
Event Type: Birth Registration
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Registration Year: 1840
Registration District: Thame
County: Oxfordshire
Event Place: Thame, Oxfordshire, England
Volume: 16
Page: 113

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Oct 2014 13:08

For INFO ONLY

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Great Milton, Thame, Oxfordshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Robert Coppock Head Married Male 27 1824 Labourer Oxfordshire, England Transcription
Charles Calloway Lodger Unmarried Male 16 1835 Apprentice To Blacksmith Oxfordshire, England Transcription
Elizabeth Coppock Daughter - Female 2 1849 - Oxfordshire, England Transcription
Robert Coppock Son - Male 4 1847 - Oxfordshire, England Transcription
Sarah Coppock Wife - Female 24 1827 - Stadhampton, Oxfordshire, England Transcription
William Bradbury Illegit Unmarried Male 15 1836 Labourer Stadhampton, Oxfordshire, England

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Oct 2014 13:09

Thanks for the birth info D.......must confess I assumed that Nicky had looked at freebmd

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Oct 2014 13:16

As there are no Callaway deaths in Thame district other than the two children, one must assume that all of Sarah's children were illegitimate, although it seems odd that, if they were, the two later births were registered

Births Sep 1837 (>99%)
Callaway Elizabeth Thame 16 93

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Oct 2014 13:21

If Nicky hasn't already, it might be advisable to purchase Charles' MC, and also either Elizabeth's or Thomas' BC.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

There doesn't appear to be any Oxfordshire baptisms on line - Oxfordshire FHS do sell transcribed discs. Its possible that another GR member may have one to consult.

Nicky Simmons

Nicky Simmons Report 29 Oct 2014 13:43

Thankyou. I had the census info but, yes, might well investigate the birth/marriage certificates as suggested.
:-)