Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Disciplina italian family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janice

Janice Report 18 Nov 2014 23:38

Hi I wonder if I could ask if you would be able to advise me or help in my search for my ancestors. I have been tracing my family on and off for a couple of years now and have always drawn a blank with the Italian side. My great grandfather Francesco Discipline/o/a (DOB circa 1877) arrived, we think late 1800s. He is first recorded on the 1901 census as Francesco Disiciplino. No records of passenger or naturalisation have been found. One side of my family believe Discipline/o/a originated from a village outside Naples the other from Sicily. I have found a couple of records online for Disciplina in Agrigento, Agrigento. Around 1829 and 1851 , but only indexes nothing much. I believe I have found my G Grandads sister who I think is Maria Guiseppa Disciplina. The family have always said that when my G Grandad came here, other members of his family went to America. Francesco's son, Antonio used to travel to America to visit them and it was on his passenger list that I found Salvatore Perretta, the husband of Maria Guiseppa. Her last residence in Italy shows Saviano. I have tried many sites for records or information but have drawn a blank every time. I have found an Annuntiata Disciplina who also travelled to America from Saviano. She is a similar age and is quite likely to be a relative also. Maria Guiseppa was already married before she travelled to New Jersey but I can find nothing on her in Italy at all. Or my Grandfather or Annuntiata. My Great grandfathers marriage records shows his father has being Francesco also and that his occupation was Sexton. I believe my great grandfathers middle name may have be Guiseppe. I would be most grateful for any advice or help you are able to give give me.

kindest regards

Jan

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Nov 2014 11:40

you say "came here" - where is "here"?

??????????????

Name: Francis J Disciplino
Event Type: Death
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Year: 1922
Registration District: Southwark
County: London
Event Place: Southwark, London, England
Age (available after 1866): 19
Birth Year (Estimated): 1903
Volume: 1D
Page: 8
Line Number: 19

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Nov 2014 11:41

???????????

Name: Robert Discipline
Christening Date: 12 Jan 1834
Christening Place: St Andrew with St Mary, Congham, Norfolk, England
Father's Name: Wm Discipline
Mother's Name: Frances Discipline
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I07417-5 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 2262384 , Reference ID: item 15 p 26

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Nov 2014 11:44

?????????????

Name: Francesco J Discipline
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 1925
Event Place: New York, New York, United States
Birthplace: England
Ship Name: President Roosevelt
Birth Year (Estimated): 1902
Affiliate Publication Title: Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957. , Affiliate Publication Number: T715 , Affiliate Film Number: 3760 , GS Film number: 1755498 , Digital Folder Number: 004857676 , Image Number: 00188

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Nov 2014 12:18

I'll let Janice know how to find her replies........ :-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 19 Nov 2014 13:10

Janice, you'd have been better keeping this all on your original thread.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1345586

Janice

Janice Report 19 Nov 2014 17:32

Hi, sorry just got home from work and seen the replies. Thank you for your help. my GGranddad came to Walworth/Southwark, London. The several passenger lists for Francis J Discipline and Antonio Disciplino during the 1920's are Frances (Francesco's) sons visiting Francesco's sister. What I am really after is trying to find out where exactly in Italy, Francesco or his sister Maria Guiseppa (Josephine) we're born or in the sisters case, married. Then I can trace the records hopefully through Italy. I wasn't sure how to proceed with this but with the recent discovery of Francesco's sister thought it might be now, more obtainable. I would be most grateful for any advice on how to proceed further. Thank you. Jan

Janice

Janice Report 19 Nov 2014 17:45

Hi also forgot to say any Other records for the name Discipline before my GGrandads arrival in the UK (circa late 1800's) would not be relatives as my GGrandad changed his Italian name to Discipline. We believe his Italian name was Disciplina or Disciplino . Also the Francis J discipline who died is the eldest son of Francesco's and although there is a passenger list record of him travelling after the date of his death, I have since found out that the second son Antonio, used his brothers name to enter the U.S. ! Many thanks for any help.