Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prussia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 19 Nov 2014 02:32

Does anyone know if there are any records that exist, specifically Konigsberg in the early 1800s

I have an ancestor that I have placed there in 1822, he could of had more children there and very likely died there. I know he had his own business. So don't know if there is an archives or similar. I have details of a court case he was involved in, but am trying to track the family.

I couldn't see anything when I googled looking for records , but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Nov 2014 03:45

you could always try Family Search

https://familysearch.org/

enter family name and geographical area

or

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list

and look down the list of countries and regions on the left side of the screen

or Google the name of your ancestor, not the region

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Nov 2014 03:50

or try Cyndi's List

http://www.CyndisList.com/

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Nov 2014 11:00

After WW2 Konigsberg became part of Soviet Russia. It was badly damaged during the war which may have some impact on surviving records

Not entirely sure which country it's in now!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Nov 2014 13:00

It is part of Russia and is called Kaliningrad. It is an enclave on the Baltic coast north of Poland.

Despite variously coming under German, Polish and Russian control any amount of records survive.

To access a lot of the German records you have to go to Berlin. Luckily Ancestry have a lot but then you need to fork out for a sub.

It is obvious I guess but I have known people to be surprised to find that European records are in German, Polish and so on... As a bonus German records are all in gothic letters which can be difficult to read. Russian records of course use Cyrillic script which is very different to printed Russian.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 20 Nov 2014 00:31

I have tried family search and googling but no luck. I know for definite he (Bruce Borthwick) ended up in Konigsberg about 1822 and it doesnt look like he returned to Scotland. I have no idea if his wife went with him or if he had any more children there.

I only know of one child and she married my 4xgreat grandmother (his 5th wife).

I have Bruce's parents and siblings and know all about the court case etc, but am trying to locate what happened to him/family apart from his daughter when he went to Konigsberg.

Where would be the best place to contact to try and source records? He had a business too as a merchant/manufacturer.