Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maude Jackson /Hilton

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sonya

Sonya Report 25 Nov 2014 13:44

I have a Maud(e) Jackson born 1899 in Oxford..Married to Frank Hilton 1923 and subsequent children 1926 /28. Frank Hilton remarried to Violet Alice McDermott and had further children after 1935. I cannot find a death for Maud(e) Hilton. Any help please.

Gritty

Gritty Report 25 Nov 2014 14:03

Are you sure that Maude and Frank didn't divorce?

A tree on My Heritage suggests they did:

http://www.myheritage.com/names/clifford_hilton

Sonya

Sonya Report 25 Nov 2014 14:11

Thank you. I did not think of divorce at that time. Perhaps that was why she was not spoken of by the family (Black sheep)!

Sonya

Sonya Report 25 Nov 2014 14:11

Thank you. I did not think of divorce at that time. Perhaps that was why she was not spoken of by the family (Black sheep)!

Sonya

Sonya Report 25 Nov 2014 14:26

Would she have reverted to her maiden name?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Nov 2014 14:37

What marital status does frank give for himself on the new marrige cert

Gritty

Gritty Report 25 Nov 2014 14:46

Can't find anything to confirm a divorce at the moment- but it is definitely something to keep in mind. (but just because someone has it on their tree, doesn't necessarily make it true :)

If you don't have his second marriage cert it might be worth buying- as Shirley says, his marital status may provide you with extra clues.

Gee

Gee Report 25 Nov 2014 15:05

Looks like Frank died in AU

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985

Name:
Frank Clifford Hilton
[Frank Clifford Beaumont Hilton]

Death Place:Park, Victoria

Father's Name:Rawdon Frank

Mother's name:Clara Beatr Beaumont

Registration Year:1955

Registration Place:Victoria

Registration Number:394

Estimated Birth Year:abt 1901

Is there any chance Maud* went overseas?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Nov 2014 15:25

He was with wife Violet Alice when he emigrated to Australia and children Roger Clifford, 12 and Ann Patricia, 6.

Fremantle, Western Australia, Passenger Lists, 1897-1963 about Mr Frank Clifford Hilton
Name: Mr Frank Clifford Hilton
Birth Date: abt 1901
Departure Place: Southampton, United Kingdom
Arrival Date: 6 Jun 1951
Arrival Place: Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
Age on Arrival: 50
Vessel: Asturias

Sonya

Sonya Report 25 Nov 2014 16:04

Thanks. I was worried that I was wrong as I looked up marriage for Violet Alice McDermott to Frank Clifford Hilton and it said 1935 but "Sidney Hilton" not F.C

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Nov 2014 16:13

Looks like Stanley R. Hilton here:

Marriages Dec 1935 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Browne Percy A Dunton Brentford 3a 726
Dunton Sarah K Browne Brentford 3a 726
Hilton Stanley R McDermott Brentford 3a 726
McDermott Violet A M Hilton Brentford 3a 726

Sonya

Sonya Report 25 Nov 2014 16:40

I am getting too confused. All the family records including the leaving for Australia give her married to Frank Clifford Hilton and children of that marriage. Maude seems to have vanished completely!!

Sonya

Sonya Report 25 Nov 2014 16:44

I cannot find a marriage cert . for Frank Hilton and Violet Alice McDermott so cannot check whether he was divorced from Maude

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Nov 2014 18:42

From the Australian National Archives, Immigration and Naturalisation

HILTON Frank Clifford Beaumont born 14 September 1900; Violet Alice (nee Mcdermott) born 4 October 1907; Roger Clifford born (dd) May 1939; Patricia Ann born (dd) January 1945; departing UK under the Assisted Passage Migration Scheme

Their application papers are on line!
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=8046376

It's a pity that the place and date of their 'marriage' isn't mentioned

Choccy

Choccy Report 25 Nov 2014 21:47

I'm also confused :-|

The maiden name of the mother of the two children, born 1939 in Ramsgate, and born 1945 in Horncastle, who went to Australia with Frank and Alice Violet Hilton, was JACKSON (presumably Maude was their mother?).

Gritty

Gritty Report 26 Nov 2014 08:45

Wow- confusing!! It could be Roger Clifford Hilton that has a tree on Ancestry- maybe he can shed some light on this??

Sonya

Sonya Report 26 Nov 2014 10:04

This is getting crazy...still do not know where Maude went. How did you find that the children were Maude`s?. How to get in touch with Roger Clifford Hilton? On Ancestry I saw a picture and various entries posted by Roger naming Violet Alice as his mother. Also I believe John Hilton referred to Marjorie born 1928 as his step sister. I do not have a membership for Ancestry any longer but I suppose I could join to read the certificates that are posted on the Hilton site. Thank you for all this.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Nov 2014 10:16

Search for Roger C Hilton's 1939 birth on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
His mother's maiden name is given as Jackson. Its the one reg in Thanet which covers Ramsgate.

The same applies to Patricia's 1945 Horncastle birth reg!

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Nov 2014 10:34

http://users.tpg.com.au/notsnhoj/Genealogy/GEDmillCVDH/indiI61.html

(on above, from google search)

Chris :)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Nov 2014 10:46

I've had a look at RogerCH43 trees - he has several, one Hilton Family Tree, the other is Hilton Direct Line Tree-1

Although there are various photos and ID cards attached to Frank, there are no BMorDs relating to Alice. She did return to the UK and die "1 August 1993 in 45 Downland Avenue,Peacehaven, Sussex, England"

The MC to Maud reads
4 Aug 1923 St Barnabas Oxford
Frank Clifford Beaumont Hilton, age 23, Bachelor, Chemist of 12 Queens Sq, Huddersfield. Father Frank Rawden Deyson Hilton, Traveller.

Maude Jackson, age 24, Spinster, of 24 Canal Street
Father Thomas Jackson (deceased), Labourer

Witnesses Ethel Jackson, Thomas Jackson, Clara Beatrice Hilton.

Before contacting RogerCH - which one of us could do on your behalf - might it be worthwhile purchasing a copy of his BC if the GRO system will allow it? If you look at the Immigration record link, it gives his full dob which will help.
Alternatively, or perhaps as well as, purchase what we believe to be his marriage cert to Violet. That should give his status + the father's name should match with what you know.

I can envisage all sorts of scenarios with this which he may not welcome