Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 Census look-up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 29 Nov 2014 11:21

Hi All,

Could some kind person please have a look on the 1841 census for Martha Varney born abt 1816 Nottingham.

She was the first wife of Cornelius Varney married in 1836 but cannot find anything on her after this, their son Samuel Varney was born in 1835 before they married.

Thank you for any help given on this.

Wendy

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Nov 2014 11:31

??
NAME: Martha Varney
ESTIMATED BIRTH YEAR: abt 1816
CIVIL PARISH: Sneinton
HUNDRED: Thurgarton (Southwell Division)
COUNTY/ISLAND: Nottinghamshire
STREET ADDRESS:

View image
REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Radford
SUB-REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Snenton
NEIGHBORS: View others on page
PIECE: 867
BOOK: 7
FOLIO: 18
PAGE NUMBER: 29
HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS:
NAME AGE
Joseph Lomas 30
Charlotte Lomas 30
Joseph Lomas 6
Thomas Lomas 1
Martha Varney 25
Ann Marley 13

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 29 Nov 2014 11:35

Hi Thelma,

Thank you soooooooooo much yes that could be her I'll follow up on Charlotte and Joseph in case they were connected to her.

Edit: no Charlotte and Joseph are not connected to Martha
Wendy

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 29 Nov 2014 11:40

Did son Samuel die the same year he was born?

First name(s) SAMUEL
Last name VARNEY
Birth year 1835
Death year 1835
Age 0
Burial year 1835
Burial day 22
Burial month 11
Place NOTTINGHAM
Church description ST MARY
Church denomination ANGLICAN
County Nottinghamshire
Country England
Record set National Burial Index for England & Wales
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Record collection Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain
Nottinghamshire Family History Society

Gritty

Gritty Report 29 Nov 2014 11:45

The 1841 census for Martha matches the place for Cornelius:-

Northern Star and Leeds General Advertiser - Saturday 12 November 1842

Nominations for the General Council
NOTTINGHAM:
Mr Cornelius Varney, Lace maker, Manver's street, Sneinton, sub secretary.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 29 Nov 2014 11:49

Hi Tenerife Sun,

Oh I've not seen that one yes could be him Samuel was christened on 10 Aug 1835 abode Back Lane and just looked that burial up and he was 4 months of Mansfield Road.

Cannot find Cornelius on 1841 or 51 census either the next thing I have on him is his second marriage to Sophia Vickers in 1860 but he was living with who was going to be his third wife in 1861 and was having children with her from 1853.

Wendy

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 29 Nov 2014 11:52

Hi Gritty,

Thank you sooooooo much that comfirm's it the right Martha.

Wendy :-D :-D

Gritty

Gritty Report 29 Nov 2014 12:12

I've searched 1841 Manver's Street, Sneinton- lots of lace makers, but I can't see Cornelius there. Perhaps he didn't move there until 1842?

Link to 1841 Manver's Street, Sneinton (on Ancestry):
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/8978/NTTHO107_866_867-0436?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d8978%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing

Edit: There is a Hind family living in Manver's Street 1841- possibly relations of Martha?:

Civil Parish: Snenton
Hundred: Thurgarton (Southwell Division)
County/Island: Nottinghamshire
Street address:Manver's Street
Registration district: Radford
Sub-registration district: Snenton
Piece: 867
Book: 9
Folio: 11
Page Number: 17

John Hind 60
Mary Hind 37
Willm Hind 15
Eliza Hind 10
John Hind 2

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 29 Nov 2014 13:06

Hi Gritty,

Thank you soooooooo much. Yes I think you are right abt the Hind family being relations although I cannot find a birth for Martha.

I'm now wondering if she went back to using Hind as her surname as I cannot find anything for her aft 1841 with the Varney name but have found a Martha Hind death in 1843 so wonder if that's her.

by the way Cornelius is my 3rd great grand father with his third wife Emma Brown my 3rd great grand mother.

Wendy :-D :-D

Gritty

Gritty Report 29 Nov 2014 14:42

When Cornelius marries Sophia in 1860 he gives his address as Coal Court. Coal Court was on Coal Pit Lane.

There is an article dated 1844 in the Leicestershire Mercury reporting on 'The Nottingham Murder' apparently 12 people were killed and many injured.

"Upward of 30 persons were taken to the dispensary, all of whom were seriously injured by being crushed or trodden on. The following are the names of those who are known, and who, after their wounds had been dressed were able to proceed to their respective homes:-.........Cornelius Varney, Coal Pit Lane"

Meaning that Cornelius was at Coal Court/ Coal Pit Lane in 1851.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 30 Nov 2014 07:35

Hi Gritty,

Thank you, I do have all of Cornelius marriages and I know abt the injury he got in the crush at the hanging of William Saville (who murdered his wife and children in Colwick Park).

If only we could find Cornelius on 1841 and 51 census I would love to know who he was with.

Wendy

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 30 Nov 2014 17:03

NAME: Cornelius Varney
POLL YEAR: 1869
PARISH OR RECTORY: Byron

The above was Watt Street, Byron Ward, Nottingham

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 30 Nov 2014 18:56

Hi Tenerife,

Thank you, where did you find that. He was living in Watt Street in 1871 too.
He was admitted into Nottingham workhouse on 8 Dec 1863 I don't know how long he was there for. He married Emma Brown in 1869 but had a least 6 children with her before they married my 2nd great grand father being one of them.

Cornelius died in 1897 in Basford Workhouse.

Wendy