Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a street

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindaAngela

LindaAngela Report 11 Jan 2015 22:22

I had english/german relatives who lived in Germany during the 40's, where can I find information on the street they lived in, as it doesn't appear to exist anymore. The address I have is Knicknayer Strasse Velbert. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Jan 2015 23:25

Velbert is a big town in the district of Mettmann, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The city is renowned worldwide for the production of locks and fittings.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jan 2015 23:33

There are plenty of recent maps, so you might find an old one on line, or have to try and source one via a library perhaps. But though my knowledge of German is pretty sketchy, Knicknayer does not come up on google at all and I would have expected it to, in some capacity at least?

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jan 2015 23:42

If you can find someone who speaks German ( though it's possible the staff can speak English as well) you could try and write to or email the local library

Stadtbücherei Velbert
Oststraße 20
Velbert, 42551
Germany
Type: Library

Web site: http://www.stadtbuecherei.velbert.de

LindaAngela

LindaAngela Report 17 Jan 2015 23:15

Thankyou Rose, I appreciate your thoughts, and yes writing to the library sounds a very good idea.

Linda x

LindaAngela

LindaAngela Report 17 Jan 2015 23:31

I actually looked again on Google, and I found it had a name change in the 1980's as I thought, it is now Gunther Wiesenborn Strasse , looked on Google Earth and I can only imagine, that because of the lack of buildings in that area, they have been knocked down.

LindaAngela

LindaAngela Report 17 Jan 2015 23:38

It was discovered that the original name of the road was named after someone who was a member of the NSDAP, commonly known as the Nazi party, so that's why it was changed.