Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help required!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2015 20:39

I am looking for the birth record of a William Forster, Born Abt 1796, St Mary Oxford. Also, his marriage abt, 1827-8 to a Louisa who was born in St Thomas Oxford. I have found them on the 1841 census living at Johnson's Buildings, St Aldate. William's occupation was a Stable keeper. The first child, Elizabeth was born 1828 Ish!!! William's mother was named Elizabeth, born abt 1774 Oxford. Any help would be very much appreciated as I have hit a brick wall with these ancestors.
Kind regards. :-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 16 Jan 2015 20:46

Just posting for OUR reference,

1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
St Aldate Street Johnson Buildings, St Aldate, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Gender Age Birth year Birth place
William Forster Male 45 1796 Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
Louisa Forster Female 35 1806 Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
Eliza Forster Female 12 1829 Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
Henry Forster Male 10 1831 Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
William Forster Male 8 1833 Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
Edwin Forster Male 6 1835 Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
James Forster Male 4 1837 Oxfordshire, England

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 Jan 2015 20:57

Should be able to find Louisa's maiden name from birth of daughter Louisa C,

Name:
Louisa C Forster

Estimated birth year:

Relation:
Daughter

Mother's name:
Louisa Forster

Where born:
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

Civil Parish:
Oxford St Thomas

Ecclesiastical parish:
St Paul

Louisa Forster 58 - widow
Henry Forster 31 - son
Louisa C Forster 15 - daughter

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 Jan 2015 20:59

¤Order a Birth Certificate for Louisa Charlotte Forster

BIRTH

Name:
Louisa Charlotte Forster

Registration Year:1845

Registration Quarter:Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district:Oxford

Inferred County:
Oxfordshire

Volume16
Page:98

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 16 Jan 2015 21:04

How do you know that his mother was Elizabeth? Was he illegitimate?
You won't find a birth record for the 1790's, the best you can hope for is a baptism.

malyon

malyon Report 16 Jan 2015 22:09

William Forster
England Births and Christenings
Name: William Forster
Christening Date: 18 Feb 1800
Christening Place: SOULDERN,OXFORD,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Willm. Forster
Mother's Name: Elizabeth

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 Jan 2015 22:25

ages in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 so he could have been born up to 4 years earlier than 1786..... unlikely to be the one christened in 1800

malyon

malyon Report 16 Jan 2015 22:35

hi
sorry says he was born 1798 not 1786

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 Jan 2015 23:02

Typo. :-0

I meant 1796, so he could have been born as early as 1792

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 Jan 2015 13:05

Hello Steven and welcome to the Community boards....

(I'll let Steven know how to find his replies) :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jan 2015 17:33

Hello,

Firstly, a big thank you to Cynthia for the guidance as to viewing these replies, I just presumed I would be notified in the messages box. (Live & learn!!). :-)

Mike, Thank you for your help, I think I may have to order that Birth record for Louisa Charlotte if I can't find any Baptism records for her or her siblings..

BeverleyW, All my information has come from the census records. The 1841 record shows William, Louisa and the children. The 1851 record has Elizabeth, (widow), as the Head, William as the son & Louisa as the daughter in law. The children are shown as Grand son/daughter. So, I presume something has happened to Elizabeth's husband and she is now staying with her son & family? The address for these records is, Johnsons Buildings, St Aldate, Oxford. The 1861 record shows just Louisa (Widow), Henry & Louisa Charlotte. Address, 55 Cardigan St, St Thomas, Oxford. SO, William and his Mother must have died sometime between 1851-61, but I can't find any evidence of this? I will keep trying!! Thank you for taking an interest.

Yvonne, Thank you to you too. On the census form under "where born", William 's is Oxford, St Mary. Louisa, Oxford, St Thomas. Louisa Charlotte St Aldate. Samuel, St Aldate. James, St Giles. Elizabeth (1829), St Aldate. Elizabeth (1774), St Aldate. Were people always Baptised in the nearest Parish Church to where they were born?? Also, were they always Baptised??

Alvigal, :-) Feeling much better about finding out about these relatives with you all on board.

Many thanks, Mandy Forster (Steve's wife and chief investigator)!! ;-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jan 2015 18:28

Hi,
Sorry, also wanted to ask, Anyone know what the "Johnsons Buildings" , St Aldate, Oxford were? Having viewed the census they seemed to house a lot of people!
Thanks.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 17 Jan 2015 18:56

Thanks for the clarification.
William in 1851 is a college servant so I would say without a doubt he worked for one of the University colleges.

With the address being Ship Street
From the Jesus college website

The Ship Street houses are all 17th and 18th century buildings, built on the old city wall.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jan 2015 22:19

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
My William was a stable keeper & Louisa a dress maker. The William you are referring to keeps cropping up but unfortunately is the wrong one! The 1851 census record has a smudged surname and was entered as 'Foster' instead of 'Forster'. This happens quite a lot!! I have now found a will from William's mother Elizabeth's mother, Mary Collcutt. This was a record from the Oxfordshire Family History Society. Will of Mary Collcott of Oxford St Aldates. Probate 16 Jan 1829. I am trying to read the lengthy document as I write this, very interesting!! :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Jan 2015 22:12

Hello,
Just an update :-D. I have now found that William Forster, born 1796 St Mary's Oxford, Mother's Name was Elizabeth Collcutt, Born 10-03-1776, St Aldates, Oxford. Elizabeth married a William Forster, 06-01-1794, St Aldates, Oxford. I would now like to find William's Birth & Death records. Any help would be much appreciated. Stuck again!!