Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1887 mary jane fletcher leicester photo album

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Matthew

Matthew Report 22 Jan 2015 20:00

Hi everyone
i recently acquired a high quality victorian photo album along with some older books

tthe album has lots of pictures including a boys school cricket club shot and a large thatched cottage some taken in leicester and some in an around london

the front page has been signed " To mary jane fletcher from mrs galbraith Xmas 1887
23 gloucester place hyde park W "

it would be great to reunite the book with a relative instead of going to a picture collector

i will pass some pictures on to proven relatives and later on through sharing pictures the album will be offered

kind regards matt

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 22 Jan 2015 23:08

It is very unlikely that anyone connected will just happen to see your post

Have you researched at all? For instance, have you checked if the occupant of the address in 1881 and/or 1891 was named Galbraith?

Matthew

Matthew Report 22 Jan 2015 23:30

HI
I'm pretty new to this so I havn't resesearched anything . I know its a long shot and will look into it When I have time :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 23 Jan 2015 01:26

I google-mapped 23 Gloucester place and it is the Wigmore Court Hotel, "nestled in the heart of Hyde Park"

(the address seems to be Gloucester Place Mews now)

it has 19 rooms so it's a substantial property if it was a home at the time ... if the address was the same of course

but it could also be a combination of more than one house ... I can't tell from the pictures on a hotel website and I can't seem to find something on google maps to match the picture (which resembles the façades on Montagu Place one block over)

1911 census for street address Gloucester in London finds Gloucester Terrace, Gloucester Gardens, Gloucester Square ... Hyde Park, Bayswater, Paddington ... many servants ...

In 1881, Paddington reg dist was Kensington

a Mary Jane Fletcher was born in Kensington in 1870 ...

she is probably Mary Fletcher a nurse (foster) child in 1871 ... no, the transcription says born Hammersmith, but the record actually says Huntingdonshire, sigh

it could be worth contacting the hotel to see whether they know the history of the property

that's as far as I've got !

Matthew

Matthew Report 23 Jan 2015 07:32

wow you guys are quick !
but what i can deduct from the first page is mrs galbraith who signed the book lived at that address not mary.
some of the photographs have the photographers address's on the reverse some are london and others leicester.

i think the empty book was a gift to mary jane fletcher who resided in leicester ,i know its a long shot but if someone was searching for MJF i was hoping this thread would show.
when i have time i will look into the cricket club picture see if the blazers and hats can be traced

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Jan 2015 08:50

1891 (Find My Past)
Nathaniel Arnold (Ronald on image) Taylor Head Married Male 53 1838 Retired Lt Coll Adc Scotland
Adeline B R Taylor Wife Married Female 31 1860 - Paddington, Middlesex, England
Margaret Ann Parbridge Aunt Widow Female 80 1811 Living On Own Means Ireland
Frances Dalley Servant Single Female 22 1869 Cook Domestic Teffont Magna, Wiltshire, England
Jane Warner Servant Single Female 48 1843 Ladys Maid Domestic Dorchester, Oxfordshire, England
Charles Mutli Servant Single Male 22 1869 General Servant Domestic Switzerland
Street Gloucester Place
Town Paddington London
Parish Paddington
City Paddington
Registration district Paddington
Archive reference RG12
Piece number 13
Folio 85
Page 3

Marriages Dec 1886 (>99%)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
PARTRIDGE Adeline Bagwell Kensington 1a 344
TAYLOR Nathaniel Ronald Kensington 1a 344

Deaths Dec 1892 (>99%)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Partridge Margaret Ann 82 Paddington 1a 36

14 October 1892 - London Standard - London, London, England

Death
PARTRIDGE — Oct. 11, at 23, Gloucester-place. Hyde Park, in her 82nd year, Margaret Ann. -widow of the late John Partridge. Esq., J.P. and D.L. for the counties of Hereford &c.

(above for 1891)

Chris :)

Dea

Dea Report 23 Jan 2015 10:13

Joonie - re the 'nurse child' on 1871.

The actual page I am sure 'does' say Hammersmith !

Dea x

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 23 Jan 2015 16:02

What was I looking at Dea ?!

The Huntingdonshire person is several lines lower down ...

There should be a red-faced smileyface, but I'll go with :-S

:-D

Matthew

Matthew Report 23 Jan 2015 16:36

i still believe mary jane was leicester ,the book was found in leicester and most the pictures are leicester photographers.

unless we actually find mrs galbraith 1887 at that london address and link her to mjf as family.........

is there a way of contacting any leicester fletchers that have already done there tree ?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 23 Jan 2015 16:40

To find links on GR...........look in search all trees, but as you have no idea of when or where Mary was born, or even if Fletcher was her maiden name, it will be a tough ask

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 23 Jan 2015 16:46

Matthew this is what you get when you search for Mary Fletcher born 1860 +/- 20 years in Leicestershire

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/fletcher/mary?memberkey=
0&yearofbirth=1860&yearofbirthrange=20&birthplace=leicestershire

and it's a mystery to me why Katherina Kelsey born 1667 shows up in that list ...

I have broken the URL up because some people's browsers still stretch long ones across their monitors I think ... you have to copy and paste it back together.

you can try to contact each of the tree owners in the list by clicking the button next to their names, but many people do not have current email addresses in their accounts here so do not get notifications

Dea

Dea Report 23 Jan 2015 16:46

Matthew,

May I just ask please - are you purely looking to re-unite this album with it's family or are you looking to sell it at a profit which will obviously be the largest if it goes to a member of the family??

Dea Xxx

P.S. - nothing wrong with either - I just wanted to know !!

Dea Xxx

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 23 Jan 2015 18:09

yes, 'album will be offered' was wording that caught my ear too

nothing wrong, and if a family member were happy whatever the arrangement it would be nice, but if my labour led to a sale I would certainly be wanting a commission!

this lady is not for exploiting :-)

Matthew

Matthew Report 24 Jan 2015 12:13

Hi all
i am an antiques dealer by trade basiclly from being a collector of all things old ,but usually wrist and pocket watches ,this really is not about profit as i could sell the book for decent amount as it is,i think its a real shame that all the pictures are missing from someones family . i didnt want it to go to just a picture collector.
if anyone did make a break through which lead to the book going to a family member i would happily give the person a commission

Matthew

Matthew Report 28 Jan 2015 15:14

Hi all
has someone deleted a thread on here about a mary born in leire ?
it was sent last week and i have only just got round to looking !

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Jan 2015 16:11

hm, you mean a post in this thread?

people sometimes do delete posts ... often annoying, but if they thought it was irrelevant ...

I don't recall it ... are you thinking of my post above with the link to tree search results? you just have to copy and paste that URL back together to see those results

or just do the search - click on Search in the upper right and select Search All Member Trees

google's cached version of this thread dated 25 January doesn't show anything else

(just copy the URL for this thread into google's search box, and it will be top of the results ... click the arrow beside the link and click 'Cached')