Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Kelly

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Jan 2015 23:09

I have downloaded her DC, she died as Margaret Brown on 19/10/1889, cert says she was 66 yrs old, I have her on the 1851 census aged 36 as Margaret Kelly, she married later that year and I have her on all census till she dies, but I cant find her on 1841 or her OPR, she says she was born in Dailly in Ayrshire, on DC it says her father was John Kelly, mother Hannah Lyon, I cant find their marriage either, any help with this would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks
Sandra

malyon

malyon Report 26 Jan 2015 23:29

Margaret Kelly
mentioned in the record of James Brown and Margaret Kelly
Name: James Brown
Spouse's Name: Margaret Kelly
Event Date: 09 Nov 1851
Event Place: Straiton,Ayr,Scotland

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Jan 2015 23:30

yes thats her marriage Yvonne

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Jan 2015 23:32

i am wondering with a name like Kelly did her father come from Ireland ?, it does say on census though that she was born in Dailly Ayrshire

Thanks
Sandra

malyon

malyon Report 26 Jan 2015 23:46

could this be her father john birth could he have named margaret after his mother

John Kellie
Scotland, Births and Baptisms
Name: John Kellie
Christening Date: 06 Jun 1781
Christening Place: , DALRYMPLE, AYR, SCOTLAND
Father's Name: John Kellie
Mother's Name: Margaret Boyle

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Jan 2015 23:53

that birth is in the right area Yvonne, it could be, can you see a marriage for him to Hannah please.
Thanks
Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2015 00:06

Off to bed now, I will check in the morning for any replies, thanks again Yvonne

malyon

malyon Report 27 Jan 2015 00:10

hi
sorry no marriage i cant find a birth for hannah lyon i will look again on

https://familysearch

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 09:48

familysearch is free, Sandra

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 10:14

Could this have any relevance?

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Waterside Village, 59, Dalmellington, Kyle, Ayrshire, Scotland

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
William Wishart Head Married Male 23 1828 Charfiller Ireland Transcription
Hannah Wishart Wife Married Female 22 1829 - Ireland Transcription
James Wishart Son - Male 2 1849 - Dalmellington, Ayrshire, Scotland Transcription
Dorothea Wishart Daughter - Female 0 1851 - Dalmellington, Ayrshire, Scotland Transcription
Hannah Kelly Mother-In-Law Widow Female 60 1791 - Ireland

Margaret wasn't far away

She may not have known for sure where she was born, or the head of the household made an assumption

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Bridge End Closs, 3, Dalmellington, Kyle, Ayrshire, Scotland

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Jean Dinning Head Widow Female 56 1795 House Servant Muirkirk, Ayrshire, Scotland Transcription
David Dinning Son - Male 14 1837 Shoe Maker (Ap) Dalmellington, Ayrshire, Scotland Transcription
Margaret Kelly Lodger Unmarried Female 36 1815 Farm Servant Dailly, Ayrshire, Scotland Transcription
James Brown - - Male 0 1851 - Dalmellington, Ayrshire, Scotland Transcription
John McFie Lodger Married Male 60 1791 Genl Labourer Ireland Transcription

I would hazard a guess that James Brown aged 0 was Margaret's child

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 10:25

First name(s) William
Last name Wishart
Marriage year 1847
Marriage date 22 Nov 1847
Marriage place Auchinleck,Ayr,Scotland
Spouse's first name(s) Hannah
Spouse's last name Kelly
Place Auchinleck
County Ayrshire
Country Scotland
Record set Scotland Marriages 1561-1910

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2015 14:04

Thank you so much for this info Jacqueline, I tried family search but couldnt find anything, i find that site quite difficult to use now, it seamed so much easier years ago.

James Brown 0 yrs is her son, she marries 1 year after his birth to James Brown.
I will check on SP to see if I see a death for Hannah Kelly or her husband John Kelly, I tried yesterday but maybe I was looking at dates too late.

thanks again, off to search again.

Regards
Sandra

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 27 Jan 2015 14:31

Hannah was a widow in 1851 so looks like her husband died before Statutory registration began.

It looks like the family came over after the 1841 census.

It may be worth following through the other Kellys in Dalmellington as they may be siblings of Margaret.

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2015 14:40

Thank you so much for this info Jacqueline, I checked SP for death for Hannah but there is nothing coming up, she is not on 1861 census with the Wishart family, maybe she moved to live with another son or daughter.

Regards
Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 27 Jan 2015 14:44

thanks rootgatherer, ive checked OPR from 1851 till 1855 then deaths after 1855 when certs came in, i dont see anything coming up, i will try Ancestry census to see if thats any better, thanks again.
Sandra