Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Emmigration to Australia in 1850

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 27 Jan 2015 17:47

Is anyone able to check out a Mr. & Mrs. Hawkins with a son and daughter who sailed on the 7th March 1850 from Plymouth to Australia on the SS Maria?

Any info appreciated.

Kath

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 27 Jan 2015 18:05

Mr Hawkins
PORT OF DEPARTURE: Plymouth
PORT OF ARRIVAL: Port Jackson, New South Wales
VOYAGE ARRIVAL DATE: 29 Jun 1850
VESSEL NAME: Maria

They travelled Steerage and the only information it gives is Mr. Hawkins, Mrs. Hawkins, 1 boy, 1 girl

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Jan 2015 18:13

poor Kathleen, what a dearth of information!

Can you explain your interest in them? are you trying to match them to someone in Australia you are connected with ... or to someone in England who disappeared from records ... ?

the odds are fairly good that they were coming from Cornwall ... mass exodus around that time from the mining areas of Cornwall, many to Australia

in that case it's equally possible that their name was really Hockins or Hockings ... although marriages for those names in the 1840s were mainly in Devon but in the area close to Cornwall ...

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 27 Jan 2015 18:19

Thank you once again Rootgatherer for your help.

Kath

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 27 Jan 2015 18:22

Thank you for the info Jooniecloonie but I can do without the sarcasm

Kath

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Jan 2015 18:26

I have not the least idea what you are talking about Kathleen, since there was nothing remotely sarcastic in my post ... so I can do without the pointless nastiness and I would strongly advise that you delete your baseless ugly post.

I was attempting to be helpful, I was being >sympathetic< about the unfortunate lack of info in the record, and I asked the usual question about your connection so that we could perhaps find something further ... as you can see from my researching line I have a particular interest in Cornwall and thought perhaps I could help with something ...

if you don't want any further help, feel free to say so politely

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Jan 2015 19:02

quick to be rude, slow to apologise ...

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 27 Jan 2015 20:41

I apologise most profusely if I misread your comment 'poor Kathleen', but if it wasn't meant to be sarcastic it certainly sounded condescending, perhaps you should choose your words more carefully. Thank you once again for your help.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Jan 2015 21:02

that's not an apology, you have not deleted your rude comment, and you should be much more careful about imputing evil intent to people when you have no ground for doing so, and choose your own words much more carefully

I am appalled that you blame me for your bad manners

I will try to remember not to offer you assistance in future

Gee

Gee Report 27 Jan 2015 21:33

Kath

Do you have more info on the family that you enquire about?

Birth/place/given names/parents might help us, help you?

Gee

Gee Report 30 Jan 2015 17:37

Name:George Hawkins <<<Traveller

Estimated birth year:abt 1823

Arrival Date:Jul 1853

Arrival Port:Port Phillip Bay, Australia

Departure Port:Bristol

Ship:Agnes Blaikie

Nationality:English

Also with him are Sarah Hawkins age 24 and John Hawkins age 10 months

Kath

Do you know when George died?

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 30 Jan 2015 18:00

Hi Gins, My cousin seems to think that George arrived in Australia a single man and married Caroline May in 1847, whether May is her second christian name or her surname he's not sure. He says she died in 1855 in Aust. and then he married Margaret Sheehy. Doesn't know when he and Margaret died.

Kath

Gee

Gee Report 30 Jan 2015 18:54

These posts are all over the place today, something wrong with the GR site me thinks!

Name:George Hawkins

Spouse Name:Caroline May

Marriage Date:1847

Marriage Place:New South Wales

Registration Place:Geelong, New South Wales

Registration Year:1847

Volume Number:V C

Gee

Gee Report 30 Jan 2015 18:56

Only seeing this death

Name:Caroline Hawkins

Death Place:Melbourne, Victoria

Registration Year:1851

Registration Place:Victoria

Registration Number:2755

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 31 Jan 2015 01:17

Hi Gins, Apologies for not answering sooner, I got sidetracked. My cousin in Melbourne asked me to try and find info on a George Hawkins who he believes was born in Bristol in abt. 1823. According to his marriage cert. in 1857 when he married a Margaret Sheehy in Ballarat, Victoria, he is down as being a widower. His father was Joseph Hawkins and his Mother was Caroline ? her surname is the info he's after. One name that has come up is Caroline Goulbourne but he's not been able to find anything on her, also on the marriage cert his Mother's name looks to be Hu???ford but that's a guess. Can you help please?

ps. He's dismissed the one who sailed on the ss Maria

Thanks
Kath

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 31 Jan 2015 16:35

Hi Gins,

Thanks for the info on George and Caroline Hawkins, I'll pass it all on to my cousin and hope it helps him, he's been struggling with this part of his tree for ages but every now and again he has another go.

Thanks again,
Kath