Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Look Up Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Slug & Lettuce

Slug & Lettuce Report 20 Feb 2015 19:58

Would someone mind looking up a war record for me please.

LEONARD GAY
British Army Service Records 1760-1915
Collections from
Great Britain
Birth Year
Birth Country
ENGLAND
Birth Parish
NORWICH
Soldier Number
Series
WO96 militia service records 1806-1915

Hopefully, it will belong to my Grandfather. Thank you very much.

<3 Mariea x

Catherine

Catherine Report 20 Feb 2015 20:08

Born in Norwich, Norfolk
Address is Belgrave, Leicester, Leicestershire
Employer:- J.E. Crofts
No next of kin is given.
Date:- 26 June 1900
Embodied:- 14/08/00
Disembodied (looks like) 05/12/01

Notes:-
Absent on Embodiemnt :- ? 04 1901
Struck off ? :- 17/03/1902

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Slug & Lettuce

Slug & Lettuce Report 20 Feb 2015 20:17

It is possible Catherine, he left home (well ran away so I was told) and said he was going to join the Army. Gave a false age too. Also missing from 1901 census, so this may help.

I am not familiar with Military information. Is this all we can glean from the record? Don't want to sound ungrateful or rude.

Thank you very much for taking the time, I really appreciate the help. Mariea x

Whoops just seen the rest. Thank you very much indeed. You are very kind. Mariea x <3

Oh err. sounds interesting. Maybe found out his age!. Will do a bit of googling. Brilliant.

Catherine

Catherine Report 20 Feb 2015 20:23

Have added a few more things to my post for you that I found on the record.

Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have stayed very long in the army so there are only 3 pages.
WW1 records usually show next of kin, giving addresses etc. so you can be pretty sure if you have the correct person or not, but here there is nothing else.
:-(

It does, however give a physical description of the person, and states he served in 3rd Leicestershire Regiment

Slug & Lettuce

Slug & Lettuce Report 20 Feb 2015 20:28

Thank you for your help Catherine. This is brilliant information. I am really really grateful to you for your help. Think he would not give next of kin, ran away from a strict father who was ex army and treated his children accordingly. It is really interesting information and although I will never be sure it is food for thought.

Many thanks again. Mariea x

Catherine

Catherine Report 20 Feb 2015 20:33

A quick google for the Leicestershire Regiments shows that they served in the Boer war of 1900 so it's possible that Leonard was in South Africa in 1901?

The 1st and 3rd battalions fought in the Second Boer War 1899 - 1902. The 2nd Battalion was stationed as a garrison regiment at Gibraltar from early 1900

Slug & Lettuce

Slug & Lettuce Report 20 Feb 2015 20:39

Catherine That is perfect. It is more than likely him. I was told Boer War by my Dad, but he wasn't certain, so I kept that bit of info as a maybe. Amazing. What a perfect star. Oh my goodness. ......thank you.

Catherine

Catherine Report 20 Feb 2015 21:13

No problem, glad to help :-D

Is there anything else you need?