Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Ann Moore

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 13 Mar 2015 13:44

I am looking for a Mary Ann Moore who in 1911 was in the Didsbury Institution states born 1871 Patricroft, which Registration district would that be. Until I find a birth I don't know who her parents might be. Any help appreciated, thank you

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 13 Mar 2015 14:05

Barton upon Irwell was the Reg district but I'm not seeing a Mary Ann born at that time.

Why are you looking at/for her???

Maureen

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Mar 2015 14:25

This is the only Mary Moore I can find who is born Barton around that time:-

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
36, Timothy Street, Barton upon Irwell, Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

Mary Moore Head Married Female 40 1841 Unemployed Ireland
James Moore Son Single Male 13 1868 Scholar Half Timer Cotton Mill Eccles, Lancashire, England
Annie Moore Daughter Single Female 10 1871 Scholar Ireland
Mary Moore Daughter Single Female 9 1872 Scholar Barton, Lancashire, England<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
John Moore Son Single Male 6 1875 Scholar Farnworth, Lancashire, England
Michael Moore Son Single Male 4 1877 Scholar Farnworth, Lancashire, England
Thomas Moore Son Single Male 2 1879 - Farnworth, Lancashire, England

I can't find a corresponding birth for her but there is always the chance that a birth before 1875 was not recorded as there were no penalties until 1875 for not registering a birth.

Kath. x

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 13 Mar 2015 14:32

On the 1911-she's listed as deaf and dumb but I can't quite make out what it says after that.
:-S :-S

Maureen

John

John Report 13 Mar 2015 15:50

Yes I did see that Maureen and I feel sure this is the same person in the Manchester workhouse in 1904 but under the name of Polly Moore, on one of the records I did notice Mary A penciled in alongside her name. This is the Mary A I want, in 1904 states born 1870/71in Manchester and had a child Mary Teresa with her? I think it may be hard to find who her parents were, unless I can find a next of kin, for the 2 workhouse Mary A Moore

malyon

malyon Report 13 Mar 2015 16:46

this is the only mary ann born in patricroft looks like she is in a institution

Mary Ann Moore
England and Wales Census, 1911
Name: Mary Ann Moore
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1911
County: Lancashire
Parish: South Manchester
Sub-District: Didsbury
Registration District: Chorlton
Birthplace: Patricroft, Lancashire
Record Type: Institution

malyon

malyon Report 13 Mar 2015 17:01

Teresa Moore
England and Wales Census, 1901
Name: Teresa Moore
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 31 Mar 1901
Civil Parish: Tottington
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Anne'S
Sub-District: Tottington
Registration District: Bury
Residence County: Lancashire
Relationship to Head of Household: Inmate
Birthplace: Manchester, Lancashire

John

John Report 13 Mar 2015 21:11

Seeing your last post of a Teresa Moore age 15 in Holly Mount Convent/School. 1901. and the Mary Teresa Moore age 6 ( b 1903) in Holly Mount Convent/School on the 1911 census . I wonder if there is any connection between them. It was only yesterday that I wrote to Salford Diocese to see if there was any next of kin for Mary Teresa ( b 1903 ) . I have been thinking that Mary A Moore is the mother of my Mary Teresa. Perhaps Teresa left Holly Mount at 15 and got pregnant and is the mother of my Mary Teresa. You have really got me thinking now, I will just have to wait now to see what Salford come up with.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Mar 2015 21:51

Hi John, just seeing this I went to take a look at your previous thread and see you replied to me on it , sorry I had missed it but glad to hear that you heard back from the RC home even if it didn't get you any further.

Just popping this link here, so that if anyone does come up with something new, they can refer back to the info there.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1349828?d=asc

(edit: note to helpers, the first named 'Hiram Moore' ( and daughter) in that thread has been eliminated so go to to the details further into the thread)

John

John Report 13 Mar 2015 22:07

Yvonne I presume the Hiram Moore thread but seeing you have sent me the Teresa Moore post of her being in the same Holly Mount convent in 1901 as my Mary Teresa Moore 10 yrs later in 1911 , do you think there could be a connection. When I got the report on Mary Teresa Moore from the RC Care in Leeds it stated that the parents of Mary Teresa Moore. - unknown and she was 20 yrs old in 1925. That's why I thought it could be Mary Teresa Moore b 1903 in the Manchester workhouse with mother Polly (Mary A) Moore. but you have put a new twist on it with finding Teresa Moore

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 14 Mar 2015 01:26

Ah! Thanks,Rosie!

I'd be happier replying on the other thread.

Moxx

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

John

John Report 14 Mar 2015 13:51

Hi Rosie, pleased you saw my post, do I stay on this post or go to Hiram Moore to find future posts of Mary Teresa Moor. John

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Mar 2015 14:20

Hi John I think I would copy anything relevant from here on to the other thread and keep it all together there really...then if you add any more info it's all in one place :-) You could edit the title there to say 'ongoing' or 'still looking' something like that?

John

John Report 12 Jun 2015 19:16

More help please if possible. I have now received a birth certificate for Mary Ann Moore born 1870 , she was the daughter of Robert John and Mary Moore living in Blackley Manchester dist. I have found her on the 1871 census and then nothing for 30 years when I found her in a Manchester workhouse. I was unable to find her parents on any census after that finally find the family living in Massachusetts but Mary Ann was not with them so presume she was left behind in England. On the 1911 census I found her in a Manchester workhouse and it states she was deaf and dumb from age of 4 yrs so probably this may be why she didn't go to America. It did state on the 1880 Massachusetts census that Robert John was a shoemaker yet when in England and on Mary Ann's birth certificate he was a Policeman, I find this odd.. I would appreciate it if anyone could have any ideas as to the lost 30 years of Mary Ann, I seem unable to find her

malyon

malyon Report 12 Jun 2015 23:04

Transcription
Mary A Moore
Manchester Workhouse Registers 1800-1911
Collections from
Great Britain
Year
Transcription
Mary A Moore
Collections from

Mary A Moore
Collections from
Great Britain
Year
Transcription
Mary A Moore
Collections from
Great Britain
Year

John

John Report 13 Jun 2015 12:12

Thank you Yvonne. It gives no age for her but if definitely her then she must have been only 7 to 9 yrs old. I found her father Robert John Moore last night on Family Search and it looks like the family were in Massachusetts in 1875. What seems to be going through my mind was she mistreated by her father who was a policeman, maybe hit around the head causing her to go deaf and dumb at the age of 4 yrs old and the parents fled to America taking their other daughter and Robert took on a new career as Shoemaker. To leave a young child alone and end up in a workhouse for most of her life is beyond me. Take a look for Mary Ann in the 1911 census,she was in a Manchester workhouse then. She had a daughter in 1903 that was taken away from her when she was about 3 to 4 yrs old and put into a RC convent home. I may be wrong in my thoughts but looking at what I have found she was certainly left behind in Manchester, and no sighting for 30 yrs . I sent for the birth certificate of Mary Ann's daughter and she was born in a house that belonged to her employer so for that period she was not in a workhouse but certainly was in 1904. I may possibly have to write to the Manchester archieves to see if I can find more information.If you find anything else I would appreciate it

Dea

Dea Report 13 Jun 2015 12:51

There is also another very long thread on this as I remember doing a lot of work on it and they are not on the one posted above - I will see if I can find it.................

Yes - here it is:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1351313

We need to have all this info together or we are all looking for info which has already been found.

Dea x

John

John Report 13 Jun 2015 13:05

Hi Dea. being a novice on the workings of this site I just don't know how to get it all together and sorry that I posted on different headings. Is it possible for you to do it for me or must I do it. Would like to say how grateful I am for all the help everyone has given me..Finding everything I have so far about the Moores has proved very tragic .

John

John Report 13 Jun 2015 13:08

Dea I now know for certain that Hiram Moore is not the Moore I want

Dea

Dea Report 13 Jun 2015 13:23

There is no mention of Hiram on the thread I posted a link to above - it is all about Mary Ann and contains very useful info that anyone helping needs to see.

They can find it by clicking on the link.

Dea Xxx