Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Flanagan and his family From Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 15 Mar 2015 21:51

Hi guys I wonder if anyone can help me I am currently researching my Irish grandfathers side. The problem is i never met him and dont really have much to go on! i was given some hand written letter by my mother that my grandmother kept for my mother.

My grandfathers name was John Flanagan he was born in Ireland in a place called May or may co i think! or he at least did live there because its written on his letters. How ever He could have been born in Cork maybe because that is also on his letters so its confusing. I think he was born around 1938 to 1942 possibly and during the late 1950s he visited Southport which is how he met my grandmother Elieen stoton Rimmer. He visited southport for work but went back to Ireland due to no work being in Southport as its just a small town.

During his on off relationship with my grandmother she fell pregnant in 1959 with twins one boy and one girl one of which being my mother. John F writes to my grandmother about coming home to marry her and to see his twins but he never did. On one of the letters it states he may have gone to London to work for a short time but doesnt actually say where just London. This is one of the last dated letters so there isnt much to go on.

in 1959 his mother or grandmother was taken ill as he mentions all this and about her being in hospital. I have mislaid this letter and cant remember if it was his mother or grandmother but someone might know who John F is on here hopefully and may recognise the story.

I would be grateful if someone could do a look up for me births or deaths as i dont know if hes still alive or not. I havent had much luck : (

Gee

Gee Report 16 Mar 2015 08:13

Do you know who is parents were, or have I missed this in your text?

This is a birth in 'Mayo', Ireland

Name:John Flanagan

Mother's Surname:Tully

Date of Registration:Apr-May-Jun 1938

Registration district:Claremorris

Volume:4
Page:111

FHL Film Number:101236

Edit: This John appears to have twin siblings: Kate & Michael born 1836 (I meant 1936!)

--------------------------------------------------------

Parents marriage for the above

Name:Michael Flanagan

Date of Registration:Jul-Aug-Sep 1921

Registration district:Claremorris

Volume:4

Page Number:82

FHL Film Number:101264

Records on Page:

Norah Tully

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 16 Mar 2015 11:53

Hi there the twins were born in 1836?? do you mean 1936? that does does sound very similar as my John F in question also had his own twins. He knew that Elieen Rimmer was carrying his twins aswell. This could be possible but i dont have the names of his parents this is kind of what i am researching.

Would love to know about his family back ground but teh birth you have found there sounds the most close to what people have come up with!

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 16 Mar 2015 11:53

How did you find the twin siblings? thanks again

Gee

Gee Report 16 Mar 2015 15:29

Yes, I did mean 1936!

The births are at Ancestry

Gee

Gee Report 16 Mar 2015 19:04

Just wondered if any of John's siblings names, ring a bell?

Name: Norah L Flanagan
Mother: Tully
Birth: Mar 1928 - Claremorris

Name: Thomas Flanagan
Birth: Mar 1930 - Claremorris

Name: Mary D Flanagan
Birth: Sep 1931 - Claremorris

Name: Patrick Flanagan
Birth: Jun 1935 - Claremorris

Name: Kate Flanagan
Birth: Sep 1936 - Claremorris

Name: Michael Flanagan
Birth: Sep 1936 - Claremorris

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 16 Mar 2015 19:46

Hi there no we dont really know anything else about him but its really possible that this one his him because we havent been able to find any John F in Mayo like you have. I do appreciate your help! i never found a thing cant be that much good lol

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 16 Mar 2015 19:47

have you seen any deaths? am going to search and see if there are any hopeing there isnt

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 17 Mar 2015 00:40

I have contacted someone on Ancestary with these family members and they said that this John Flanagan never went to England so could be back to square one : ( but i have messaged a few others on there with a John F in their tree so touch wood.

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 17 Mar 2015 12:05

Hi guys i have since found another letter and its stated its from Louisburgh not sure if this is in mayo i think it possibly is! narrowing my search down abit more will up date my post with anymore info