Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

new announcement from GR ........ UPDATE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Apr 2015 17:57

Community Manager Advisor 1 Apr 2015 16:33

Hi everyone,

From today Alison will taking over as Genes Reunited's Community Manager. Alison will be on hand to answer any questions you might have.

Alison has worked on Genes for many years, and has spent much of her time researching her own family history.

Please join me in welcoming Alison to the boards.

Regards,

Shelley

----------

I've also posted this on General Chat and Genealogy Chat

malyon

malyon Report 1 Apr 2015 18:22

welcome alison

yvonne

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Apr 2015 00:52

new new announcement ..............

Community Manager Advisor 24 Apr 2015 17:27

Afternoon folks. I have heard from comments on FB that my initial reply which I posted earlier this month didn't post ? I did add one I promise but looking again this afternoon, I think I can now see what happened so at least in the future, I should know what to look for. This is a side of the board that I am still learning about I am afraid.%3A-S

Anyway , my apologies for any misunderstanding.

So just to offer a little bit of information about me, my name is as you have seen Alison. I have been with the company now for over 11 years, have been doing genealogy on and off for more than 30 years and of course more on than off for the past 11 !

I haven't actually found any skeletons as such in my cupboards, but have discovered some interesting stories about my relatives - some good and some not so good so fairly typical of family research I think %3A-%29

--------

no comment

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Apr 2015 01:41

So, it took 3 weeks for Alison to find out that her post didn't post? And even then she had to find out from Facebook? Guess she doesn't check the boards very often.

Mike *

Mike * Report 25 Apr 2015 02:45

A good start ??

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Apr 2015 03:45

:-D

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 25 Apr 2015 07:29

:-S

A Community Manager who doesn't know how the boards work......

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 25 Apr 2015 07:33

On a par with turkeys voting for christmas! ;-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 Apr 2015 12:06

Dear oh dear! I think I should have sent the Community Manager one of my messages on how to find their replies! :-D

Hi Alison,

Just a friendly note to say that you have received a reply to the message you posted on the boards re the above subject.

If you are not familiar with this site, then here is how to find your replies: (it may be helpful to copy this out)

Click in order:

COMMUNITY (above, second line from top)
From the list which drops down, click on MY THREADS.

On the next screen you will see the heading of your original message.
Click on that heading.

(When you click on your original message heading, you will see your original message and the replies, which are printed underneath).

PLEASE REPLY TO THOSE WHO HAVE HELPED YOU, BY TYPING YOUR RESPONSE IN THE 'ADD YOUR REPLY' BOX AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR THREAD, AND THEN CLICK SUBMIT.

They will all see it and then know that you have seen their advice etc. and may be able to help you further.

It is really helpful if you stay by your computer for a while after posting a message as replies can come back very quickly. Don't be afraid to ask for more help if you need it. You may need to keep checking for new replies for a couple of days.

If you know how to do all this, then please ignore me - just trying to help the new folk!

Regards,

Cynthia

Better late than never I suppose. :-D :-D :-D

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Apr 2015 12:29

And this is what I posted on Genealogy Chat in response to your post, Cynthia:

"But, Cynthia, Alison's post was on the Announcements Board where we can't respond. It was only because Sylvia re-posted it that were were able to respond. Consequently the responses won't show up on Alison's "My Threads".

Or am I reading it wrong?"

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 25 Apr 2015 13:22

If Cynthia pm's her message to Alison then it would be interesting to see when it's opened

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Apr 2015 13:47

But how does one even pm Alison? Her message on Announcements Board only has the avatar for GR, same one that Shelley used. Incidentally they both say "Member since November 2013, 215 posts"

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 25 Apr 2015 14:37

Her name can be clicked on the same way as we can pm anyone else from a thread (I think)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Apr 2015 14:43

But her name doesn't appear on any thread. Her only post is on Announcements where she posted using the GR avatar and there's no way to send a message by clicking on that.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 25 Apr 2015 14:47

I thought she'd have a community manager inbox but then again with GR who knows????

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Apr 2015 23:45

Cyn ..............

I think you really should have sent that message to Alison ............. if you could ahve found a pm for her :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 26 Apr 2015 08:07

I HAVE sent a message to Alison. If you click on 'Community Manager', you can send a message to her in the usual way.

I was just reminding folk of what the message said..... :-D

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 26 Apr 2015 09:00

Well done Cynthia

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 Apr 2015 11:59

I must apologize, I was wrong. You can send a pm to the Community Manager. I don't know what I was thinking, I was trying to click on the avatar. Well I've been known to be wrong before...once or twice.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Apr 2015 17:48

I wonder what Alison's reply will be????

if she replies, that is :-D