Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

who owns grave

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 11 Apr 2015 11:48

can anybody tell me if it is possible to fine out who owns a grave even if it is not close family .. I ask because on going to lay flowers today I noticed my granddads brothers grave had had all the kerbs and the cross removed ..I asked one of the cemetery workers why and they said it is going to be levelled and the kerbs and cross removed did not know the name of the grave owners though ..I would love to contact these people with a view to sharing family history research ,,thanks Keith

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Apr 2015 12:24

The local council should be able to tell you who the grave holder is

If the lease on the grave has expired then the council can remove any headstones etc and flattern out the area

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Apr 2015 14:01

I don't think the council/cemetery staff will give out the name of the grave owners, but they may be willing to pass on a message from you to them so that they can contact you if they wish.

We had this problem with my husband's great-grandfather's grave in Gateshead. The cemetery staff passed on our name and phone number to the owners of the grave and then they got in touch with us.

As it happens they didn't think they actually were the owners but according to the cemetery staff they were.

Anyway we managed to meet them (as they didn't live too far away from us) and we managed to share photos, family history etc.

Kath. x

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 11 Apr 2015 15:02

Our local town council gave us the name of the owner of the our plot along with the names of everyone in it.

The trouble is the owner of the plot has been buried there for nearly 100 years so if anyone wants the remaining space then there's going to be a bit of a problem.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Apr 2015 15:58

Most councils will

When our brother passed away last sept he wanted to be buried with his gran and grandad at the local cemetery I knew that gran had purchased the grave when grandad died in 1939 and it was a three person grave . Gran died in 1958 and is interred in the grave ,

I made enquiries of the local council to find her elsdest daughter took over the grave deeds when gran died , sadly that daughter died aged 101 and not inthe same area so to have our brother interred wasn't able to be done as she had to give consent which she couldn't do and I don't know where her children are living that could give details of her estate

So yes the council will tell you who the grave holder is in their records and if there is still a current lease on the grave

Keith

Keith Report 11 Apr 2015 18:23

thank you all I will phone the council on Monday

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 12 Apr 2015 23:15

This is also a good source of FH info, if you have info of 1 person in the grave, the records can be found and should say who else is there. I found OH's gfather and ggparents by tracing the grave of a g aunt who died in 1964.

Keith

Keith Report 13 Apr 2015 12:32

thank you for the help I have now got the name and address of the grave owner and we are going to share our family history