Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hulme Street Hulme

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 18 Apr 2015 12:35

Can anyone find who was living at 25 Hulme Street Hulme, Chorlton dist on the 1901 census. Thank you

Dea

Dea Report 18 Apr 2015 12:43

This one?

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
25, Hulme Street Sanitary Dwellings, South Manchester, Chorlton, Lancashire, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Annie Hart Head Single Female 25 1876 Tailoress Stockport, Cheshire, England

Dea x

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Apr 2015 12:47

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
25, Hulme Street Sanitary Dwellings, South Manchester, Chorlton, Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Annie Hart Head Single Female 25 1876 Tailoress Stockport, Cheshire, England
Parish South Manchester
Municipal ward All Saints
Registration district Chorlton
Archive reference RG13
Piece number 3693
Folio 22
Page 1

John

John Report 18 Apr 2015 12:51

Hi Dee, well that is a help because I am looking for a Pollie otherwise known as Mary Ann Moore who had a baby in 1903 at that address in 1903 occupation tailors presser. In 1904 Pollie and baby Mary Teresa were in the Chorlton workhouse. I am trying to find the family of this Mary Ann Moore, presume Pollie her nickname she was born 1870 Manchester,

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Apr 2015 13:05

Using the free site http://www.freebmd.org.uk

These are the only Mary Ann Moore's born Manchester 1868-1872 but there would be nearby RD's where someone might refer to themselves as born Manchester

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Births Mar 1870 (>99%)
Moore Mary Ann Manchester 8d 400
Births Sep 1872 (>99%)
MOORE Mary Ann Manchester 8d 179

Dea

Dea Report 18 Apr 2015 13:09

The daughter is still in the workhouse in 1911 but now in Tottington, Bury (If it is the same one as birth year given as 1905)?. - do you have her mother on that census please?

Where do you have the two names - Pollie and Mary Ann from?

Dea x

John

John Report 18 Apr 2015 13:49

Hi Dea. I found the name Polly Moore, in the Manchester workhouse with a daughter Mary Teresa Moore b 1903 with her and on one of the records, faintly written before name of Polly. Mary Ann?. The Mary. Teresa Moore found in Tottington Bury is actually a RC school or Convent not a workhouse I have written to someone to do with the records of Hollymount convent to see if there is a next of kin of this Mary Teresa Moore b 1905? still awaiting the findings. I also found a Mary Ann Moore b 1870 in a workhouse in the 1911 census states deaf and dumb so only presume she is the mother of Mary Teresa.. I am wondering if this Mary Ann Moore is the daughter of Henry Moore states being an ironmonger employing 6 men, so it must have been a family of means but only found Mary Ann on 2 records living with parents, and unable to find her on the 1891 and 1901 records. It looks like she had her daughter Mary. Teresa when she was 33 yrs old and born out of wedlock

John

John Report 18 Apr 2015 14:12

Dea Looking at the 1911 census it states Mary Ann Moore Single age 40 and occ a former Laundress now do you think that if she was a tailors presser on the birth cert of her daughter that it could have been classed as a laundress

Dea

Dea Report 18 Apr 2015 14:51

Yes - that's the one I was looking at and I considered that the occupation of 'Laundress' could well fit with a tailor's presser.

The only problem I had though was that her place of birth was given as Patricroft which I doubt that a local person would class as Manchester - more likely 'Eccles'.

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 18 Apr 2015 15:28

Now then - just a theory:

Births Mar 1870
Moore Mary Ann Manchester 8d 400

Lancs BMD shows the above born in the Blackley area:

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1870
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
MOORE Mary Ann Blackley Archives+, Manchester Central Library BLA/10/40

So - this one would fit?:

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Rochdale Road Barnes Green Bankfield Street, Blackley, Manchester, Lancashire, England

Learn more
Household Members
Robt John Moore Head - Male 26 1845 - Ireland Police Constable
Mary Moore Wife - Female 23 1848 - Yorkshire, England
Mary Ann Moore Daughter - Female 1 1870 - Lancashire, England
Sarah E Moore Daughter - Female 0 1871 - Lancashire, England
William Stephens Lodger - Male 21 1850 - Ireland Police Constable

Will see if I can follow her through.................

Dea x

John

John Report 18 Apr 2015 17:21

Dea this could look favourable. I must say I had not found this Mary Ann Moore. I sent for information about Mary Teresa Moore when she had her own daughter in 1925 when living in a mother and babies home in Leeds, stated parents unknown and age about 20 yrs old, Mary Teresa Moore living at Holly mount Tottington Bury had a birth as 1905.? so they may have thought she was that age. I asked if she was sent to Yorkshire to be a Domestic servant from Tottington, when it was time for her to leave, still awaiting the reply. I am finding it hard to establish where exactly Mary Teresa Moore originated from because on her death in Sheffield in 1970, it stated yet again parents unknown and age unknown. I know for sure she was sent from Leeds to Sheffield to St Veronicas a RC mother and babies home

Dea

Dea Report 18 Apr 2015 17:39

Maybe she was sent to relatives in that area as I believe that was where her grandmother was from:

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1869
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
MOORE Robert J DAVY Mary St James, Wetherby Leeds CE105/148

I think this is the family on 1861:

Name: Mary Davy
Estimated Birth Year: 1849
Relation: Daughter (Child)
Father's name: James Davy
Mother's name: Sarah Davy
Where born: Wetherby, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Wetherby
County/Island: Yorkshire
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

View image
Registration district: Wetherby
Sub-registration district: Wetherby
ED, institution, or vessel: 18
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 16
Piece: 3209
Folio: 51
Page Number: 4
Household Members:
Name Age
James Davy 40 Drainer
Sarah Davy 29
Mary Davy 12
Sewan Tate 73 - Susan - mother in law, formerly beer house keeper.
John Wool 45
John Lofthouse 47

Dea x

John

John Report 18 Apr 2015 17:59

Wow Dea, now I have to get my head around this one. Do you mean Mary Teresa Moore was sent to Weatherby to live with Grandparents. She was actually living in Boston Spa Yorkshire as a Domestic Servant in 1924 when she fell pregnant.

Dea

Dea Report 18 Apr 2015 18:05

I have no idea John but it does seem that her grandmother Mary Moore (from the 1871 census above, married to Robert John) was from Wetherby, Leeds - maiden name Davy!

That is of course assuming that I have the correct family !!

Do you have Mary Teresa's birth cert.?

Dea x

John

John Report 18 Apr 2015 18:29

I sent away for a birth cert for a Mary Teresa Moore b 1903 Hulme Lancashire which I received this morning, but it was for the mother of Pollie Moore, also known as Mary Ann and they lived in the Manchester workhouse in 1904 , so perhaps I have the wrong Mary. Teresa. birth, the other one was in 1906 in Bolton Lancs, so do you think she is connected to the Davy family in Weatherby. As I said I know for sure Mary Teresa who gave birth to a daughter in 1925 in Leeds did not know her parents. So do you seem to think that Robert John Moore and Mary Davy were the grandparents of Mary Teresa Moore and her mother was a Mary Ann Moore and it was her sent to live with HER grandparents in Weatherby

Dea

Dea Report 18 Apr 2015 18:52

This accounts for the Bolton birth so it is not that one:

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Higher Meadow Horwich Lancashire, Horwich, Lancashire, England

Learn more
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship to household head Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
John Moore Head Married Male 30 1881 Lancs Adlington Flgs Quarryman
Mary Teresa Moore Wife Married Female 40 1871 Lancs Anderton -
John Moore Son - Male 7 1904 Lancs Horwich -
Mary Teresa Moore Daughter - Female 4 1907 Lancs Horwich -
Agnes Moore Daughter - Female 1 1910 Lancs Horwich -

The only other was the 1903 in Manchester and that one fits the family I have posted details of.

Does that birth cert actually state that the mother is 'Pollie also known as Mary Ann' ?

Dea x

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Apr 2015 18:57

John, can you post the link to your previous threads please, just so that helpers know this is an ongoing search and so they have all the background...otherwise I fear people will ultimately be duplicating :-)

EDIT here was the last one, which also has on it a link to the previous one, I know some of the possible leads there have been eliminated but there are relevant bits of background, .

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1350330

Dea

Dea Report 18 Apr 2015 19:00

I do hope there is not another thread with all this info already found!

If there 'is' one - please do post the link John....

Dea x

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Apr 2015 19:05

Dea have edited my post with the link, a lot of work has been done, but still nothing conclusive.

John

John Report 18 Apr 2015 19:14

Not too sure how to post a link. Has it already been linked by Rambling Rose , Dea.