Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudy

Trudy Report 24 Aug 2015 06:05

Morning everyone

I hope I'm on the right page?? I am still trying to find more info on my grandads side of the family, my grandad was Herbert Cameron maunder bn 1913 Canning Town London ( mother Muriel/myril maunder) .
Which leads me to my question how do I find out who was living at an address in 1913 as I have been told that my grandad was born at 7 Exeter road Canning Town London. I know that he was born out of wed lock and that his mum was sent away to give birth but that's as far as I know, so I was wondering if she was sent to a relative or a woman & baby unit?.
If she was sent to a relative that would explain the story's we have been told regarding my grandad being adopted ( no evidence of this)?

Sorry for babbling I am just very intrigued and hope that someone could shed some light for me

Thank you
Trudy :-)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 24 Aug 2015 06:22

Births Mar 1913 (>99%)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Maunder Herbert C Maunder W.Ham 4a 410

(what details does it give on above Cert?.)

Chris :)

(somebody has added a 'Postem' for above, is that you)

https://arena.yourlondonlibrary.net/web/newham/newham-archives-and-local-studies-library

(above Archives perhaps would be able to help)

Trudy

Trudy Report 24 Aug 2015 06:26

Hi Chris

My mums has his birth certificate but as far as I remember it says

Herbert Cameron maunder born 5 jan 1913 West Ham Essex mother named as myril primrose maunder no fathers name.

What's a postem??

Thank you

Chris Ho :) Report 24 Aug 2015 06:28

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

(see entry on above)

(info. from above)

(A Postem is a short message that is attached to any entry in the FreeBMD database. The purpose of a Postem is to allow those searching the database to leave information about an entry, for example to leave additional details about the event. Postems are only for communication between those searching the database; in particular, no-one in the FreeBMD project will be reading the Postems so it is pointless putting comments or questions for the project in a Postem)

Trudy

Trudy Report 24 Aug 2015 06:28

Thank you Chris

Trudy

Trudy Report 24 Aug 2015 06:31

Yeah that's definitely my grandad :-)

Thank you Chris.

how do I go about an address look up??

Chris Ho :) Report 24 Aug 2015 06:34

(see link for Archives posted, they should be able to advise on Electoral)

Trudy

Trudy Report 24 Aug 2015 06:37

Oh ok sorry Chris :-). It's still to early for me lol but I've been trying to work it out all night hopefully I'll have some luck now.

Thank you

Chris Ho :) Report 24 Aug 2015 06:39

Might be a good idea though to get hold of Cert., just to check details...

Trudy

Trudy Report 24 Aug 2015 06:41

I'll go to see my mum today and have a look at it again just to refresh my mind.

Thank you Chris

Gritty

Gritty Report 24 Aug 2015 07:06

There were two families who lived at 7 Exeter Road, Canning Town in 1911:

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
9 Exeter Road Vic Dks, West Ham, Essex, England

Lydia Campbell Head Widow Female None 51 1860 Essex West Ham
James Turner Son Single Male General Labourer 26 1885 Essex West Ham
Richard Campbell Son Single Male House Painter 21 1890 Essex West Ham
Lydia Campbell Daughter Single F Sewing Machinist Tailoring 19 1892 Essex West Ham
//
Daniel Sellman Head Married Bank Porter Retired Naval Pens Bank Porter 52 1859 St Giles Msex
Elizabeth Isabell Sellman Wife Married At Home 49 1862 Brightling Sea Essex
Awbert George Sellman Son Single M Labourer P L A 23 1888 Ireland Old Head Kinsale
Kathleen Sellman Daughter Single Labourer Tobacco Factory 20 1891 Ireland Summer Core Rinsale
Constance Mary Sellman Daughter Single At Home 18 1893 Ireland Summer Core Kinsale
Charles Sellman Son Single School 14 1897 Schull Co Cork
Dorothy May Sellman Daughter Single School 7 1904 West Ham Essex
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear in mind there is also an Exeter Road in Walthamstow:

7 Exeter Road Walthamstow, Walthamstow, Essex, England

Alexander F Hood Head Married Male Fruit Salesman 33 1878 London Poplar
Annie Louise Hood Wife Married Female - 35 1876 London Poplar
Alexander F R Hood Son - Male - 1 1910 Essex Walthamstow
Edith Maude Ruse Sister In Law Single Female None 30 1881 London Poplar
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1042442?page=0

Dea

Dea Report 24 Aug 2015 07:30

This would be her birth:

Births Jun 1893
Maunder Myril Primrose Dartford 2a 464

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 24 Aug 2015 07:35

48 West St Erith Kent, Erith, Kent, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place
Allan Norman Maunder Head Married Male Fruiterer And Greengrocer 52 1859 Strood Kent

Ada Florance Maunder Wife Married Female Assisting In Business 48 1863 Erith Kent

Theo Norman Thomas Maunder Son Single Male Assisting In Business 20 1891 Erith Kent

** Muriel Primrose Maunder Daughter Single Female Assisting At Home 18 1893 Erith Kent

William James Maunder Son Single Male School 10 1901 Erith Kent

Allan Charles Maunder Son Single Male At Home 9 1902 Erith Kent

Albert Edward Greenaway Servant Single Male Driver Of House And Van 21 1890 Croydon Surrey

Dea x

Trudy

Trudy Report 24 Aug 2015 09:28

Hi dea

Thank you for all that info yes that's myril's birth and where they were all living,, the family still live in this area now including me lol.

I will now have to try and do some digging to find out if either of the families living at 7 Exeter road knew my great great grandparents because that would explain why myril was sent there to give birth. Or it's just hear say from family members??

Thank you

Dea

Dea Report 24 Aug 2015 10:48

There is actually only one family living at No 7 Exeter Rd on 1911 census - that is the Sellman family.

The Turners and the Campbells are at No.9.

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 24 Aug 2015 10:58

A tree on Ancestry gives Elizabeth Isabell Riddett as Daniel's wife although I cannot see a marriage for them. (1911 census says married 29 years).

This would be her birth:

Births Mar 1862 (>99%)
RIDDETT Elizabeth Isabella Lexden 4a 252

Dea x

Trudy

Trudy Report 24 Aug 2015 10:59

Ok thank you dea I'll have a look into the sellman family then to see if there's any connection??
If not it could just be family tales?? But why would they say that grandad said he was adopted?. He kept his birth mothers surname maunder.. I'm confused but also intrigued by all this..

Thank you

Mary

Mary Report 24 Aug 2015 19:56

It looks like the Exeter Road where Daniel Sellman is.

Herbert born Canning Town and that is where Daniel is 1901/11.

Maryb.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 24 Aug 2015 21:31

Just to confirm what Chris suggested above with regard to the Electoral Registers

'Detailed electoral registers for the West Ham area after 1888 and the East Ham area after 1918 can be seen at Newham Local Studies Library, Stratford Library, 3 The Grove, London E15 1EL. Some electors continue to appear in Essex registers for parts of the West Ham area up to 1915. Microfilm copies of these can also be seen at Newham.'

From SEAX

Chris

Trudy

Trudy Report 25 Aug 2015 05:05

Thank you so much everyone for your help I really appreciate it.

Thanks again